The latest on Siri for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iChaseH, Oct 13, 2011.

1. iChaseH macrumors member

iChaseH

Anyone have a jailbreak yet for it? It's 100% able to be run on the 4 (not sure about the later iPhones). Here's an example of someone using it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLqpF7oNT_c. Share the latest you have about it; who's working on it, how close, any releases, etc. Let's see!

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

How do you know it's 100% able to run on the 4?

Are you just assuming because of the App Store app?

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The video is of the Siri app, not Apple's Siri. They are very different. Its though that an A5 is needed, because the 4S uses one of the GPU's to find out what the user is saying. The iPhone 4's GPU is very underpowered for it and it has a better chance of working on the 3Gs, whose GPU though the same as the 4's is able to redraw the screen much faster. Thus, the 3Gs' has more idle time then the 4. But not a whole core free like the A5.

4. iChaseH thread starter macrumors member

iChaseH

No, not that sole reason. http://www.limera1n.cc/2011/10/enable-install-siri-on-iphone-4-soon.html
    This as well shows the base of it on an iPod Touch. It's just a matter of time. Although even the
    running of it from the App Store shows it's certainly possible.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They got the pictures of it showing? This is no different then the many attempts to get HDR photo taking on the 3Gs. We have the switch, the HDR button, and the "Saving photo" thing. But no matter what is done, the 3Gs cannot take HDR photos. With Siri on older devices, you'll get the images and animations, but it won't respond in any way.

6. iChaseH thread starter macrumors member

iChaseH

Understandably they are very different, yet it was an App released by Apple. And it shows the app understanding the "context words" discussed when the 4S was released. Proving that there is no special hardware the 4S has when it comes to understanding words. The chip speed may be another story and even if that's the case I'd believe most would be willing to deal with a slow running Siri rather than none at all.

----------

Can you prove that Siri 100% will not be possible on the 4?

7. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Of course it can run on the 4 (what I mean by this is that the hardware is perfectly capable to handle it). Apple will tell you it can't because it is the lone feature that really separates the 4S from the 4 and they want your money.

You think Siri is really that taxing on the hardware? Come on now, folks.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

9. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Would it not be the dual core CPU, not GPU, that is providing the advantage? I'm a little confused how the GPU would be effecting Siri very much?

10. Fluffnstuf macrumors newbie

The old Siri app, which has been available on the 4 for a while, and also worked great, now no longer functions.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

GPU? What do graphics processes have to do with Siri?

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I read that Siri uses one of the GPU core to quickly compute the phonetics of the speech to be sent to Apple. My guess is that its using some kind of OpenCL or CUDA.

13. estockme macrumors regular

Possibly the fact that there are very little graphics going on while siri is running? Just a guess, I wouldn't know. I know what isn't processing it though: the beeper

14. fjrabon macrumors regular

Apple has sort of tolerated the jailbreak community for quite some time. However, if they flat out steal apple's code, I think we'll see Apple take it to another level.

Also, since Siri requires contact with remote servers for most of its big time features, Apple could pretty easily build in a way of detecting whether or not you're using an authorized version of iOS5, and remotely brick your phone if it's found you're using illegitimate hardware with Siri. Not saying they would do that, but they very likely could. Especially if it's revealed that people are actually ripping off Siri's source code.

Edit: not saying I think Apple should do this, but they very well could. What would people do if they did? Sue Apple? For improper usage of stolen IP?

15. smotheredhope macrumors regular

You are crazy.. lol

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

There is not hardware limitation on the iP4 to run Siri, It will take a lot of resources and it will not perform as well since the code is wrote in such a way that the processors is expected to handel multiple threads at the same time which is not possible on the A4, but it will run.

Now Siri is embedded on the OS so to port it, the code would have to be rip from it and there is not way to do that unless you Break the TOS and pirate the code which is the bigest issue for JBer team to make an official release.

My guess is that this post will stay underground and on the back channels as it was in the old days.

17. Almeuit macrumors regular

I think everyone should just wait as iFixit has a iPhone 4 S and are currently doing their thing ... we will soon know what the iPhone 4S is running then no one has to say "WELL I THINK I4 CAN" then someone say "WELL I MEAN CMON 4 or 4S ..IT HAS A S FOR GOD SAKES ITS INSANE".

:).

----------

Keep refreshing here to find out more and more..

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4S-Teardown/6610/1

18. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

They already shared the most important factors, Memory, basedband chip and core. As far as Siri is concern the only diference between iP4 and iP4s is the dual core, everything else is the same.

19. Almeuit macrumors regular

Yep but look what they posted in the guide ...

(Step 8)
    If Siri has an address, this is it. Though iCloud integration can be used with any iOS 5 device, Siri only works with dual-core devices.

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just curious what was wrong with the other thread. About getting Siri on the I4.

21. iChaseH thread starter macrumors member

iChaseH

Link it

22. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Linked. It isn't even halfway down the first page.

23. iChaseH thread starter macrumors member

iChaseH

Thanks for letting me know. Some of us have lives and don't spend every waking moment glued to a computer screen.

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some of us know how to use the search function too.

25. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

i dont think we will se siri on our lovely iphone 4 soon or ever :(
    maybe next year wen iphone 5 is out i ll meet my siri !!!!:D:apple: