Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
So i've had my Macbook Pro, 15" since 2011, its a great computer that i use everyday mainly for writing and other different things. I was wondering how long you guys have had your machines? and what the longest time you have ever had a Macbook for? i've had mine for 3 years and apart from being a little slow on start up, it is a reliable machine that has so far served me well :D

How often do you upgrade to a new machine? i have seen the retina Macbook Pro and I've even thought about the Macbook Air (for University it would be light to carry around) But my Macbook Pro 2011 is still working so it would probably be a waste of money to buy another Macbook at this point.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Every second year. The performance gap becomes too big for me to pass on.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I get a new one everytime a new one is released. I always buy used or refurbished and they hold their value so well that I am usually only out a couple hundred bucks after I sell my old one and I always have the latest and greatest. I'm also a Tech junkie so I know I'm the minority.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Mine's almost 4,5 years old. I've never owned a Mac that long, I used to sell a model after 2 years and buy the latest one.

For some reason, this one stuck. Had a lot of things going on in my personal life between then and now, so buying a new computer was the least of my concerns and overall it's just been such a nice computer. Never had any problems, other than the rubber pads on the bottom wearing off :D

I used to have an SSD and 8GB of RAM, but I gave those to my girlfriend who needed the extra memory and speed more.

I'm planning on going back to 15" next year when my Book is 5 years old. The Core 2 Duo is really showing its age, especially with Final Cut Pro transcoding, so it's time for me to start looking ahead. I might just keep this laptop around as a travel machine, I just love it that much :D

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I have mine since 2009, 5 years now. I upgraded it to 8 Gb of ram within the first months I got it. My SSD is less than one year old.
I'm looking replace it because lightroom is rather slow for processing my Nikon D800 files. I have not decided yet If I should buy a maxed out retina Macbook Pro or buy a Mac Pro and keep my old one for portability.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I have mine since 2009, 5 years now. I upgraded it to 8 Gb of ram within the first months I got it. My SSD is less than one year old.
I'm looking replace it because lightroom is rather slow for processing my Nikon D800 files. I have not decided yet If I should buy a maxed out retina Macbook Pro or buy a Mac Pro and keep my old one for portability.

Wow, I couldn't imagine using a 5 year old laptop. A desktop yes, but not a laptop. They advance so fast and when I see a classic MacBook now they just look so ancient and clunky. I already feel like my 15" Late 2013 rMBP is outdated and they haven't even released a new one yet. I think I need an electronics intervention. :D

james1758

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
UK
My mbp is 5 years old now, upgraded the ram pretty much straight away, and only now am I putting in an SSD. Can't justify the cost of a new one just yet!

I use the iMac for most heavy programmes though!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I get a new one everytime a new one is released. I always buy used or refurbished and they hold their value so well that I am usually only out a couple hundred bucks after I sell my old one and I always have the latest and greatest. I'm also a Tech junkie so I know I'm the minority.

That's a bit excessive for me, i'm a university student so i couldn't afford to buy a new one every time they come out.

I was thinking about getting a Macbook Air because the SSD would be faster than my current machine, and the Air would be lighter to carry around University and my commute on the bus. Apple have dropped the price by £100 and with my student discount i could pick up a 13" maxed out Macbook Air for around £1,250 but my current Macbook Pro is still working great so theres no immediate rush.

My mbp is 5 years old now, upgraded the ram pretty much straight away, and only now am I putting in an SSD. Can't justify the cost of a new one just yet!

I use the iMac for most heavy programmes though!

That's the same as me, i use my 2013 iMac for heavy intense stuff, and my Macbook pro i'm using for university essay writing, watching Youtube, iTunes videos and so on.

james1758

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
UK
That's the same as me, i use my 2013 iMac for heavy intense stuff, and my Macbook pro i'm using for university essay writing, watching Youtube, iTunes videos and so on.

Yup, if i do get rid of my mbp then I'll get a mba, waiting for significant upgrades on the mba before I invest though as I would like that to last for another 5 years!

abta1

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
I have had/have four MacBooks. The first was an aluminium 15" MacBook Pro bought in 2005. Although this machine is no longer in use, it still functions perfectly well when booted up. The only downside is the led backlight seems to be fading somewhat.

The second is a white plastic 13" MacBook bought in 2008. This also still functions but the battery has expanded and e trackpad no longer functions.

The third is a mid 2010 15" MacBook Pro. This still functions perfectly and is used day to day having had it's trackpad replaced last December and the Hdd replaced with an ssd.

My current machine is a 2013 11" MBA.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Wow, I couldn't imagine using a 5 year old laptop. A desktop yes, but not a laptop. They advance so fast and when I see a classic MacBook now they just look so ancient and clunky. I already feel like my 15" Late 2013 rMBP is outdated and they haven't even released a new one yet. I think I need an electronics intervention. :D

Depends on what you use it for. My CPU is not cutting it by a long shot anymore for FCPX (cannot even smoothly playback 60fps footage), but for anything else it's actually still a pretty solid computer. If it wasn't for Final Cut, I'd probably stretch it as long as I could :)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Yup, if i do get rid of my mbp then I'll get a mba, waiting for significant upgrades on the mba before I invest though as I would like that to last for another 5 years!

I've always wondered what is the difference between the MBA and the MBP? they are both laptops, but have different names. It won't be for a while, but i do think that my next Macbook will be a MBA.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I'd wager that most folks think they need way more power than they do and upgrade far more often than they need to.

My laptop is an '07 13" Aluminum Macbook (just predating the 13" MBP) with a new SSD. It's not blazing fast, but I use it for design and web dev and it's still pretty darn capable.

janitor3

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I have a 2011 MacBook Pro, it's never let me down. Thinking of upgrading the Ram and maybe putting a bigger drive in. Don't know yet whither to put an SSD in or just a bigger HDD. :)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I have a 2011 MacBook Pro, it's never let me down. Thinking of upgrading the Ram and maybe putting a bigger drive in. Don't know yet whither to put an SSD in or just a bigger HDD. :)

Same as me, 2011 15" MacBook Pro, mine also hasn't let me down. Altho do you find that its a little slow when booting up? I sometimes get the coloured circle appear when it first boots and I try and colic onto safari. But once the machine gets going its great :)

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
with my student discount i could pick up a 13" maxed out Macbook Air for around £1,250

The maxed out Air is £1245 for £43 extra (£1288.80) you can get the rMBP 13"/2.6/8/512

There is little difference in size/weight and you get the retina display and faster CPU.

Barney

james1758

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
UK
I'd wager that most folks think they need way more power than they do and upgrade far more often than they need to.

THIS. People want the newest 'stuff' thats the crux of it...

I've always wondered what is the difference between the MBA and the MBP? they are both laptops, but have different names. It won't be for a while, but i do think that my next Macbook will be a MBA.

The post I've quoted above, for the majority of consumers everyday tasks the mba is more than capable but people want the newest things. For me the mba w/ turbo boost, 8gb ram & 250gb ssd will more than suit my needs.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
The maxed out Air is £1245 for £43 extra (£1288.80) you can get the rMBP 13"/2.6/8/512

There is little difference in size/weight and you get the retina display and faster CPU.

Barney

I didn't know that, I've not really looked at the rmbp, its something to consider when I upgrade in a year or two.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
I used to have a 2006 white Macbook. I replaced it November last year with the Retina MacbookPro.

The difference was quite obviously outstanding and hopefully it will last just as long.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Varies machine to machine. I've has some last 5 years while others were replaced within 12 months. I update once the CPU/GPU become too slow for my tasks

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

My laptop is an '07 13" Aluminum Macbook (just predating the 13" MBP) with a new SSD. It's not blazing fast, but I use it for design and web dev and it's still pretty darn capable.

I agree that many people get caught in spec frenzies and end up over buying. That's fine but they could have saved money and gotten the same level of enjoyment. I do admit that there is some credence to buying more than you might need now in order to future proof. But even that argument is a little dodgy. Somewhere in the middle is where most users should be at.

The base model machines always seem to be just a tad low on some key spec though. Then you start upgrading. Great marketing by apple. Fockers. :D

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I agree that many people get caught in spec frenzies and end up over buying. That's fine but they could have saved money and gotten the same level of enjoyment. I do admit that there is some credence to buying more than you might need now in order to future proof. But even that argument is a little dodgy. Somewhere in the middle is where most users should be at.

The base model machines always seem to be just a tad low on some key spec though. Then you start upgrading. Great marketing by apple. Fockers. :D

It isn't really a matter of overbuying, I think that's actually generally wise when purchasing a machine. Get something more than you need that you know will last.

It's the overbuying every two years that I see that makes me chuckle. Most folks don't need NEAR the power to justify a new machine anywhere close to that often, I know lots of pro photographers, designers, and animators that are using machines apparently a lot slower than your average Macbook Pro forum poster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.