The Mac Mini: 2014 in 2018

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by APPL3_, Oct 6, 2018.

1. APPL3_ Suspended

APPL3_

Ahh, the Mac Mini. The once affordable alternative to other Mac models, the Mac Mini has not been refreshed for 4 years. Is the cost ruining Apple’s new luxury image or will the Mac Mini finally see some love and attention from Apple? Let me know what you think!

2. bbnck macrumors 6502a

No one knows, but Apple usually does one final event in October and that is usually a Mac and iPad event. You know what the rumours are about the upcoming Mac mini, so that's what we might see.

3. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

4. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

4GB of RAM paired with a spinning hard drive... in 2018. Just embarrassing.

Have fun running Mojave on that turd of a machine. Hope you really love beach balls!

The 2014 Mini, currently selling for $599 Canadian, is BY FAR the absolute worst value in all electronics in the entire country. There is nothing being sold today that gives you less bang for your buck than that joke of a machine.

$399 Canadian would be REALLY pushing it and still a pretty terrible value, but at least within the rhelm of the reasonable. Charging $599 for that complete junk is just a total farce.

5. David58117 macrumors 65816

Honestly, the 2.6 isn’t bad for the price.

Most updates to CPUs since have been towards battery efficiency, which is unnecessary on a mini.

If you’re not doing 4K at 60Hz, you’ll largely be fine.

You can switch out the HDD, and that’s more an Apple issue of them including them, rather than strictly a mini thing. The 8GB ram is fine for most people.

If it’s between a plastic NUC running windows vs a well built, tried and true design of the mini (with AppleCare, MacOS), - I would choose the mini.

I understand people being salty that they took away the ability to upgrade ram, and haven’t had a release since 2014, but for around $600, I think people are largely over reacting towards the 2.6 mini.

6. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

I wonder how many customers Apple has lost for abandoning their standalone desktops. I am very curious why they haven't updated in years. I wouldn't touch a 4 year old computer with no price drop with a 39 and a half foot pole!

I have two NUCs that are well built with fast SSD's and 7th gen processors for much less than a Mini. Running Linux Mint that is as good and better than MacOS in some ways. They are well built and 1/4 the size of the Mini. The only thing that makes me cling to Mac is sadly putting music on my iPhone.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Once you buy a new ssd, it's no longer $600. Then include some taxes and you're up past $800. Come on ... it's nowhere close to a bargain, it's straight up gouging. I'm not complaining, I just don't buy it but I agree with the other comments that the pricing is complete joke.

8. ivnj macrumors 65816

I got the 2.6 i5 with 8gb ram on August 30th. Its not bad. 368.69 after tradeins including 3 years apple care plus from bestbuy.

9. Lammers macrumors regular

Yes, don’t worry, the new Mac mini is almost certainly coming.