Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
It doesn't matter whether she bought it because she wanted a Pro book or one she could encrust with rhinestone; the bottom line is that she has a Pro-class notebook. What she does with it is her own business. The Macbook Pro is a pro-class notebook. The Macbook Air is not. The Macbook Pro comes with a dedicated graphics card. The Macbook does not. The Macbook Air does not. You might not have taken this into consideration when you bought it, but plenty of folks will, and won't delude themselves into thinking they're buying UP MBPs just because the MBA is covered in aluminum.

You will never understand the economics of Apple. I'll agree to disagree.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
personally i dont get why ANYONE would buy a computer for 1800 believing it is a Ultraportable when it has a larger footprint than a mb which is 700 CHEAPER and has MORE capabilities and features

all you are paying for is a reduction of weight by like 2lbs and .25 inches thinner

i mean why not get the mb? i am still baffled. the mb has so many more advantages to it that i dont see any reason to get the mba

then again i dont throw away money so that may be it

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The air is simply a 2 year old macbook stuck in a thinner case with updated graphics....

Actually I have to disagree with you completely. The Air is not in anyway a 2 year old Macbook. You are just as wrong as people comparing it to the MBP.

The Air is in a completely different class. It's designed as a complete wireless solution whereas the other Macbooks are not.

The LED screen is not on the standard Macbook or the backlit keyboard nor is the alu casing nor is the ambient light sensor nor are the multi-touch capabilities nor is the option for SSD storage.

You are telling people not to confuse the Air with the MBP, YOU shouldn't confuse the Air with the Macbook. Their screen bezel is in fact the only thing that has some resemblance.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
If MacBook Air was designed as an ultraportable notebook it would have a smaller screen. A computer with a 13" screen, no matter how light it is can never be considered an ultraportable.

I totally disagree with that definition. What you are describing is a sub-notebook. That is a different animal altogether, and I have owned those too. I used a Toshiba sub-notebook for almost a whole month until I traded it in. There is no way a 'Pro', as you guys like to refer them to, can get any kind of workflow with anything less than a full size keyboard and a decent size screen. I am saying that as a guy with pretty small hands. I think the 12" was as small as it could get for productive work.

The MBA is very much an ultra portable machine in my book (no pun intended :D)...

Regards,

C

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
You will never understand the economics of Apple. I'll agree to disagree.

You continue to hide behind your buzzword "economics", yet you've been unable to explain how a laptop which resembles the Macbook in every way but the presence of an aluminum coating, a backlit Macbook keyboard, and a Macbook-sized LED screen could ever be classified as a Macbook Pro-class notebook. If you ever get around to that, please let me know.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
personally i dont get why ANYONE would buy a computer for 1800 believing it is a Ultraportable when it has a larger footprint than a mb which is 700 CHEAPER and has MORE capabilities and features

all you are paying for is a reduction of weight by like 2lbs and .25 inches thinner

i mean why not get the mb? i am still baffled. the mb has so many more advantages to it that i dont see any reason to get the mba

From the pics I've seen the MB footprint looks the same as the MBA.
Weight reduction of 2 lbs = +
And quarter of an inch thinner at the THICKEST spot = biggest +

Aesthetics = +
Features Ive already mentioned a bazillion times = +

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
Personally I think Apple is more and more catering to the masses and farther away from the creative "professionals"

I agree completely. Look at the consumer products that are coming out. iPod, iPhone, AppleTV and so on.

I think the Apple 'faithful' are feeling left out in the cold, and they don't like it one bit. To tell the truth, I can understand it. They stuck with Apple through thick and thin, and now Apple is moving their focus slowly away from focusing on the media 'professionals'...

Regards,

C

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
You continue to hide behind your buzzword "economics", yet you've been unable to explain how a laptop which resembles the Macbook in every way but the presence of an aluminum coating, a backlit Macbook keyboard, and a Macbook-sized LED screen could ever be classified as a Macbook Pro-class notebook. If you ever get around to that, please let me know.

Economically, Apple's intentions classify it as a MBP. I know where you are coming from. Of course for our "artists" of the world it's not going to be the same thing. Though artists are not the only people who buy MBP's. Do you get me now?

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
This is exactly what I'm saying in this thread. The Macbook Air has almost nothing in common with the Pro. The biggest dividing line between the MBP and the regular Macbook is the presence of a discrete graphics card. Which does the MBA have?

You want to know what it DOES have in common??? THE PRICE!
That is what makes the MBA suck. Even though it has no power to it, and is jsut a thin-word processing, email checking, web browsing laptop, its the price that makes it ridiculous. I still feel for what you are getting, it should be the same price or lower than the base MB.

The Macbook Air And Macbook Pro Are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!
Ya, one is crap (the one with the ridiculous price, and missed the target market), the other is great.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
it has a larger footprint than a mb

Can you fathom how small 0.02" is? In metrics they are EXACTLY the same. This is getting so redicolous...

At least focus on the real negatives of the MBA, ie. lack of ports, small hard drive, no super drive, fixed memory and so on... Oh wait! What you want is a MBP...

Which coincidentally was the reason for this thread in the first place. :eek:

Regards,

C

C

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

Sometimes that's all it takes to make a deal for people. There are so many people on these threads that say, "The fact that the Macbook doesn't have a discreet GPU is a deal breaker".
All this person wants is to play games on his/her computer so they end up buying the MBP instead.

Same goes for the aluminum case, some people don't want plastic no matter how sturdy it is and the same goes for people who will pay extra to have the black MB over the white because they hate the white.

If all a person NEEDS is the lightest weight and thinnest form factor than it's worth it to them to pay for it.
You are completely off base trying to compare features of another Apple notebook. If Apple felt that people didn't have a need for this notebook the wouldn't have created it.
I for one want this notebook because it has less, I don't need all the extras to bulk up the machine.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
While I agree it shouldn't qualify as a "professional" laptop,

apple did include all the styling cues of its "Professional" line. (aluminum, backlit keyboard). I'm not saying I'd buy one, as I'd most definitely choose a blackbook over a MBA any day.

but then again consider the black/aluminum iMac which is aimed towards the mainstream consumer market. Apple might just switch everything into aluminum.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
That is what makes the MBA suck.

This sentence is totally childish. Just because you cannot 'justify' the premium for the portability does not make the machine 'suck'. If you 'honestly' cannot see the merits of the MBA I am stunned and amazed. This machine would be impossible to produce two years ago. Its a marvel of technology...

C

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I agree completely. Look at the consumer products that are coming out. iPod, iPhone, AppleTV and so on.

I think the Apple 'faithful' are feeling left out in the cold, and they don't like it one bit. To tell the truth, I can understand it. They stuck with Apple through thick and thin, and now Apple is moving their focus slowly away from focusing on the media 'professionals'...

Regards,

C

Well, you know what's wrong with your statement? It will keep Apple at the original 3%+ market share.

Business and Enterprise are the demographic that Apple has ignored (as well as gaming). Apple wants to touch a market that they have greatly missed and that's the home and enterprise market.
The Air, AppleTV, iPhone and iTunes are steps in these directions.
I don't see where Apple is abandoning the professionals. Is something wrong with the MBP or the newly upgraded Mac Pro's? You're right, sounds like Apple is ignoring the creative professionals on these machines.:rolleyes:

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Actually I have to disagree with you completely. The Air is not in anyway a 2 year old Macbook. You are just as wrong as people comparing it to the MBP.

The Air is in a completely different class. It's designed as a complete wireless solution whereas the other Macbooks are not.

The LED screen is not on the standard Macbook or the backlit keyboard nor is the alu casing nor is the ambient light sensor nor are the multi-touch capabilities nor is the option for SSD storage.

You are telling people not to confuse the Air with the MBP, YOU shouldn't confuse the Air with the Macbook. Their screen bezel is in fact the only thing that has some resemblance.

ok so that fact that it has only the options of a 1.6 or 1.8gig cpu, max 80gb hard disk, and a max of 2gb ram..how is that NOT a 2 year old macbook?

ok it has an LED screen WOOHOO, aluminum casing YIPPY

based on speed alone its comparable to systems of two years ago

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
They are spending more time to appeal to the masses. That is what will get them better market share. Heck they are the only ones that can appeal to the masses in tech.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
While I agree it shouldn't qualify as a "professional" laptop,

Oh dear... you guys have REALLY bought into Apples definition of 'professional' have you not?

The word 'Professional' was not invented by Apple when they invented the so called 'Pro' line.

It seems Apples marketing machine has really made an impression. I guess it got me too as I keep buying their excellent machines!

Regards,

C

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
well, didn't Steve Jobs himself declare aluminum somehow makes a more classy/professional computer when he introduced the redesigned iMac? We're just going off of his description.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
my issue is that the mba is not that much more portable than a mb. it cant be. ok so nearly same ft print. only difference is thickness and weight in terms of dimensions. the day i cant carry a 5lb laptop will be a sad day. the day i pay 700 more for a savings of 2lbs will be a sadder day lol

i bet i could stuff my mb in a manilla envelope too lol

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
my issue is that the mba is not that much more portable than a mb. it cant be. ok so nearly same ft print. only difference is thickness

i bet i could stuff my mb in a manilla envelope too lol

There's a youtube video where the macbook tore the manila envelope lol.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
Well, you know what's wrong with your statement? It will keep Apple at the original 3%+ market share.

Business and Enterprise are the demographic that Apple has ignored (as well as gaming). Apple wants to touch a market that they have greatly missed and that's the home and enterprise market.
The Air, AppleTV, iPhone and iTunes are steps in these directions.
I don't see where Apple is abandoning the professionals. Is something wrong with the MBP or the newly upgraded Mac Pro's? You're right, sounds like Apple is ignoring the creative professionals on these machines.:rolleyes:

Hehe... I am not even in that market and I could have sworn that the MacPro had not been updated for a very long time before the last update. In that time Apple focused on the 'consumer' lines. I can even remember numerous threads on here moaning about the forgotten 'professionals'. I know as I was waiting to upgrade my own MacPro!

Secondly, I have no idea what the statement about the 3% marketshare was leading... How can expanding your market keep you at the same marketshare? Surely the MBA is intended to expand market-share?

Which leads back to the original post. The MBA and MBP are totally different machines intended for totally different market segments. Oh there it is again... expanding market share...

Regards,

C

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.