Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluelight

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I was about to clarify the actual purpose of this thread, but it seems that this person has done it for me very accurately.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/4788126/

I'm sorry if anyone took this post offensively, that was not my intention.

Original Post Below

Call me an idiot, but the way everyone is trashing the MBA makes me want to buy it even more.

A lot of people are complaining about the border around the screen, the battery, the speakers, the keyboard colour, and nitpicking at every other component of the MBA, but I think what everyone is really mad about is the price.

If you can't afford it, don't try to convince yourself that it is a crappy machine by pointing out all of its flaws. The MacBook Air, when finally shipped, will function perfectly for what it is meant for.

SO STOP COMPLAINING. There is nothing wrong with it. It was introduced as the world's thinnest laptop, not the world's most powerful laptop. TOO BAD IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT.

Can't wait to buy it when they have it in stores :)

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
hehehehehe - nothing in life is perfect, but the MBA is a sweet little machine, despite a few minor gotchas.

I'll admit I'm tempted, too :D

SoLibertyDies

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
Spanaway, Wa
amen man, I'm sick of these mba trashing threads, either get one or don't. geez.

kids these days.

like we're trying to make them buy it or something.

Dan0903

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
same here, yes, its a nice looking machine, but for a £100 more you can buy a mobile powerhouse instead of a gimmick.

which is what im doing :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
no its not for everyone. its amazingly well priced though imo.

the only one thing that bothers me is the battery.

bluelight

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
same here, yes, its a nice looking machine, but for a £100 more you can buy a mobile powerhouse instead of a gimmick.

which is what im doing :D

At least you can take it for what it is - a nice looking machine. Remember that everyone :) Apple is a trend setter, and that's what you're paying for.

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
as an engineering exercise the macbook air is amazing. the thinnest in the world and still quite powerful. as a product i think it fails abit. quite basic, spend less money get more computer in a macbook or macbook pro, just does not make sense. ''spend more money and we will take away the superdrive, a usb port, a firewire port and some processor speed'' i can see people new to mac thinking ''wow macbook air..its so thin... oh wait i can get a better one for less money...?''

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
SO STOP COMPLAINING. There is nothing wrong with it. It was introduced as the world's thinnest laptop, not the world's most powerful laptop. TOO BAD IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT.
LOL. I'm not poor. I have Euros.

But I'm still not going to buy one. :D

bluelight

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
It's a forum. People can express their views and opinions. Surely?

I agree with you, continue complaining, but remember that you're really just mad about the price. Nothing else... and that is the point of this thread.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I'm not poor by any stretch of the imagination.

It just doesn't represent value to me.

Edit: And some of the features would annoy me given the price of it. Lower the price and I could forgive the limitations, but at that price its defects tend to come to the fore.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I'd love to get one but my MacBook still runs great. The MacBook Air* would work perfect for what I do and I don't think the price is out of whack.
When my MB's kaput..........MBA me :apple:

* Envelope not included

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I'd love to get one but my MacBook still runs great. The MacBook Air* would work perfect for what I do and I don't think the price is out of whack.
When my MB's kaput..........MBA me :apple:

* Envelope $20 optional extra

Fixed it for ya

Rich89

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
The Air does look interesting and im sure everyone, no matter how much hey complained, was really impressed when they first saw it. I'm not sure it's that people can't afford it, i mean, i've just ordered a macbook pro which set me back much more than the air, its a niche i'll admit. I can tell that there are gonna be tons of rich kids buying them becase they are thin and pretty, and then afterwards realizing theres nowhere to play their latest 50 cent CD, or no way of listening to it without external speakers/phones, actually, i think i quite like that idea ;)

bluelight

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I'm not poor by any stretch of the imagination.

It just doesn't represent value to me.

Edit: And some of the features would annoy me given the price of it. Lower the price and I could forgive the limitations, but at that price its defects tend to come to the fore.

That's fair. And the thread title is not to be taken personally.

I guess in your case you could say that you don't have money that you want to throw around.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The MacBook Air is billed as an ultraportable yet it requires the same size of bag as a MacBook to carry.

I call that failure.

bluelight

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
The Air does look interesting and im sure everyone, no matter how much hey complained, was really impressed when they first saw it. I'm not sure it's that people can't afford it, i mean, i've just ordered a macbook pro which set me back much more than the air, its a niche i'll admit. I can tell that there are gonna be tons of rich kids buying them becase they are thin and pretty, and then afterwards realizing theres nowhere to play their latest 50 cent CD, or no way of listening to it without external speakers/phones, actually, i think i quite like that idea ;)

I completely agree and I laughed at the end.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
That's fair. And the thread title is not to be taken personally.

I guess in your case you could say that you don't have money that you want to throw around.

It's all a case of priorities. It's not high enough on my list to justify that price.

And no offence taken.

bluelight

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
The MacBook Air is billed as an ultraportable yet it requires the same size of bag as a MacBook to carry.

I call that failure.

To be portable is to be easily or conveniently transported, so at 3 pounds, I would say that the MBA is pretty portable. You're right though, ultra takes it a bit too far.

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
USA
Call me an idiot, but the way everyone is trashing the MBA makes me want to buy it even more.

A lot of people are complaining about the border around the screen, the battery, the speakers, the keyboard colour, and nitpicking at every other component of the MBA, but I think what everyone is really mad about is the price.

If you can't afford it, don't try to convince yourself that it is a crappy machine by pointing out all of its flaws. The MacBook Air, when finally shipped, will function perfectly for what it is meant for.

I personally make quite a good living. I have a lot of money in the bank. Why do I have a lot of money? Because I don't waste it on products that are overpriced and offer no bang for the buck. Also, many people who are trashing the MBA have a MBP....which of course, costs more. Being a smart consumer means spending wisely. If the MBA is a wise buy for you, great. Just keep in mind that it isn't for everyone. And also keep in mind that most poor people aren't on the cutting edge of electronics, and probably don't browse macrumors ;).

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
I'd love to get one!

Man it really does rock. But it wouldn't do for me as I need that extra bit of horsepower of my MBP for photoshop and Aperture.

Maybe one day.... :D

Bababasjd

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007

No what everyone is mad is that apple produces crap and sells it at premium. Right like im going to buy a 1.6ghz core 2 duo for 2 grand, no cd drvie, no gpu, soldered ram. Do you think im retarted? Honestly, being serious I showed this to the distrcit attorney and he could not stop laughing. Any person who is educated know this is directed towards mac fans and idiots.

RHD

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
London
I'd buy one like a shot and the extras but I don't have the reddies for such pretty things and I need a high power system for 3D StudioMax and rendering.
Still holding out for an updated Macbook Pro but not for much longer so may have to rethink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.