The Macbookpro + iMac or Macbookpro + Thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lakkadshaw, Sep 12, 2012.

1. lakkadshaw macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a early 2011 Macbook pro and an external monitor which sucks (Samsung SA300 20") so I was planning to buy another monitor and I am confused between two choices:
    1. Thunderbolt display
    OR
    2. Refurbished iMac 27' inch
    What do you guys suggest? is it worth spending extra $$ on an iMac?
    Thank you

2. richest macrumors regular

3. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

For a few hundred more dollars I'd just get the iMac.. but I have uses for a desktop computer not sure about your needs..

Also I'd probably wait for the new iMac since the 2011 iMacs are over a year old and there are rumors of an update coming soon but then again if you need it now then get one of them now

4. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I think if you're going to buy the TB display, you may as well go for the iMac bump (which can be used as an external if you need it to be).

Sadly, I think the TB display is severely overpriced.

If you don't *need* a laptop. You could easily sell your MBP and get an iMac/iPad combo of some sort.

5. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Do you need a docking station or only a display?

Why shell out so much $$$ when you could have similar or even better display for way way less?

Why buy another computer?

Is it worth your money?

These are the questions you should answer to yourself.

6. lakkadshaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I bought this korean monitor from ebay and waiting for it to arrive, but it only has a dual dvi port, so I am searching for a proper adapter so that the display can work with my computer.