The MacHeist 3 order fiasco

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Thomas Harte, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

There seems to be a major failure in competence over at MacHeist this time around, with many people (including me) paying but receiving no serials; several (not including me) being charged between two and seventeen times. There's a huge thread about it in the MacHeist support forums, but to try to get some perspective on the issue, I thought I'd ask: what have the experiences of people here been?

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Only charged once, and I ordered when the servers were going crazy... Was probably one of the first 250 people to order I would say (so maybe I beat the mad rush)

3. Thomas Harte thread starter macrumors 6502

4. defender macrumors member

defender

I ordered on the 27th and had my serials within minutes, no problem at all here.

5. Thomas Harte thread starter macrumors 6502

That's very cheering to hear. Obviously the MacHeist support forum is exclusively populated by whatever subset of customers have had problems, making it very difficult to get any sort of perspective. There seem to be hundreds of people affected and continuing to be affected, but it's a lot less worrying if they are actually sending serials to some (almost certainly most) people.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm glad I don't shop at MacHeist - getting multiple charges on your credit card for something you don't get is a royal pain to try to straighten out. I've seen the ads for the bundles, and thought of buying once or twice, but if you wind up having to argue about charges and not even getting serials then it's not worth the effort.

7. doubleback macrumors newbie

Feel good about your purchase....

Folks, this is going to be straightened out. Problems happen in life, ok. MacHeist is not going to ruin their reputation by just letting overcharges and/or no product delivery happen.

Jeez, you spent $39 or less, 25% is going to charity. Feel good about that; you not having your serial number(s) right now is not the end of the world, especially when you are guaranteed that you will get them.

How about some props to MacHeist for offering this great deal and opportunity?

8. uMac macrumors 6502

Still waiting for my bundle

I ordered it pretty quickly too, still waiting.

My initial emails were replied to with the "wait and see" kind of responces, but now they don't reply.

doubleback - you are correct, the bundle they put together looks awesome, and kudoos for them getting all together.

That said, they have a large number of customer's with outstanding balances and currently their sales have plateaued (likely in part because of this).

So I think it is fair to say if we have problems or not, and if they have been resolved. Once Mine are I'll be sure to post that so people have confidence in MacHeist and will order the bundle so we can all get the unlocks.

But - until I get my bundle I'm telling people to avoid the train wreck they currently have as I don't want to be encouraging people to buy in when I know there are issues to be resolved.

9. doubleback macrumors newbie

They have a whole thread of about a gazillion posts on this over at the MacHeist forum. I guarantee MacHeist knows about this and it is trying to do something. If not, they are fools. And, yeah, it sucks that sales may have flatlined a bit because of this. But people should still buy, in my opinion. Like I said, you will get your stuff; it just may take a little longer than you would like. But, this is a great deal, even if you only want 2 of the apps.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Would you be saying that if they had charged you 5 times and not given you anything? $39 x 5 = 195 - that could cause your account to get overcharged if you're on the edge of your limit and then you have lots of problems. Even if they finally reverse the charge, your credit card people could still stick you for over limit charge. I wouldn't touch MacHeist for anything.

11. Thomas Harte thread starter macrumors 6502

Obviously as one of the affected I may not have a completely balanced perspective on the issue, but my advice would be to wait. They're clearly still having a load of problems and the offer is open for a further 9 days. So if anyone is worried, why not just pause and see how things look in a week?

I've also now noticed this on Wikipedia:
    That's the same problem, two out of the three times they've run the promotion. If nothing else, it seems the MacHeist team aren't particularly competent. However, I got my codes immediately upon ordering last year and I think I jumped in towards the end, so I am optimistic that they'll figure themselves out without occupying too many more hours of my time.

12. doubleback macrumors newbie

Who says I wasn't affected? I just have perspective.

13. jashsayani macrumors regular

jashsayani

I found only 2 apps useful... LittleSnapper and Espresso... :cool:

14. doubleback macrumors newbie

I have a feeling Espresso will be unlocked. After this so-called fiasco, it would be in Macheist's best interest to show some good faith and unlock all applications towards the end of the selling period.

15. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Phew, I was 2 mins away from ordering this bundle. Thank god i looked here first. I shall not bother now.

16. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

MacHeist? Reputation?

These are the people who "faked" hacking attacks against multiple websites last time out and didn't think they did anything wrong.

17. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

...and the great 'My Dream App' swindle. These guys are a joke.

18. doubleback macrumors newbie

I would think more people think positively of MacHeist than not...

It is always those with something negative to say that come out of the woodwork, but I imagine more people think MacHeist provides pretty good value vs. being a joke. Some big name folks, with stellar reputations, support MacHeist.

19. dantherevelator macrumors regular

FWIW, I received my serials, no problem. And there's another take on MacHeist here, via Daring Fireball.

20. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I could not take the chance of being charged 6 times and the hassle of getting it back. I was only after the Picturesque software so have just purchased it direct.

21. Intenost macrumors member

Intenost

Hi, I ordered on the 26th. Got a blank screen after submitting order. Eventually tried a browser refresh and got another blank screen. My credit card was charged twice. No email order confirmation, and when I try to look up my order on the macheist website it doesn't exist. Sent an email to macheist on the 26th, with no reply. Most annoyed about the lack of communication from macheist. I hope it gets sorted out soon.

22. doubleback macrumors newbie

I think they are doing a podcast live right now, which will be posted to ITunes probably tomorrow. If they were smart, they would address this.

23. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

Well, that's precisely the issue here: other than a couple of "we're aware there's a problem" posts in the forums, they are NOT addressing this.

I purchased the bundle Tuesday night and have received nothing but a blank page where the app receipts are supposed to be. I've made several forum posts and sent several emails to support and sales but received no reply.

I agree w/you to some extent: many people are receiving the apps no problem and thus are happy w/the service. I'm a patient guy and figure they will get this sorted out eventually.

But the fact that they have done absolutely zero to assure the not inconsiderable number of customers who aren't getting what they paid for (and many more than once) is customer service at its worst and will do more to tarnish their reputation and lose them business than any honest explanation of what's happening would.

Most of the people in the MacHeist forums just want to know what's up. One 30-word email to the affected customers is all it would take to relieve a lot of the bad vibes directed their way right now.

Mistakes are sometimes unavoidable. It's keeping people in the dark that's indefensible.

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apparently the MacHeist people are seriously lacking in ethics. I'm glad I found these posts, now I'll avoid MacHeist altogether. It just sounds like a scam

25. doubleback macrumors newbie

That's why this is their 3rd go around. Because the other two were such a big scam, they thought the 3rd would be even better.

Come on now; please use some common sense.