Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTuber Luke Miani joins us on this week's episode of The MacRumors Show to discuss the new Apple Pencil with USB-C, the direction of the iPad lineup, and Vision Pro.

We talk through our immediate thoughts on Apple's newly announced Apple Pencil model featuring a USB-C port for pairing and charging, leading us to contemplate how to clean up the iPad lineup as a whole. We compare Apple's Vision Pro headset to the iPad and consider whether it is destined for similar criticisms or if it truly offers more potential in the long-term. We also discuss the latest rumors about a foldable iPad, which a recent report suggested could be announced as soon as next year, and whether such a device could breathe new life into the iPad lineup.

See more of Luke's work over on his YouTube channel or follow him on X (formerly Twitter) @LukeMiani. The MacRumors Show is now on X @macrumorsshowhttps://twitter.com/macrumorsshow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up with the podcast!

Listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion with Lucid Senior Vice President of Digital and former Apple executive Mike Bell about the iPhone, AirPort, Vision Pro, CarPlay, and more.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Kevin Nether, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie. You can also head over to The MacRumors Show forum thread to engage with us directly. Remember to rate and review the show, and let us know what subjects you would like the podcast to cover in the future.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Luke Miani Talks the Future of iPad and More

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Why don't they have an iPad and MacBook SE product line... it would make sense if they want to have three different tiers and want to differentiate them

The iPad 9th and 10th gen (or more appropriate 10th gen versus iPad Air) and MacBook Air M1 and M2 would be really well served by this type of differentiator.

Reactions: smulji

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
This is my weekly post telling y'all that you need to get Jonathan Horst from Mac Address as a guest for the MacRumors Show.

Horst is the Worst, IMO. See that pun?

The content on 'Mac Address' leaves much to be desired, especially when compared to other LMG channels that cover Apple products and news more effectively and promptly. It's a rarely updated channel and, in my opinion, has a host who isn't particularly likable. I was really hoping when the channel was announced that it would be Emily (formerly Anthony) that took the reigns.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Why don't they have an iPad and MacBook SE product line... it would make sense if they want to have three different tiers and want to differentiate them

The iPad 9th and 10th gen (or more appropriate 10th gen versus iPad Air) and MacBook Air M1 and M2 would be really well served by this type of differentiator.

You're preaching to the converted. The #1 request from everyone is a Macbook SE. A Macbook that was under $800 would do numbers.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
You're preaching to the converted. The #1 request from everyone is a Macbook SE. A Macbook that was under $800 would do numbers.
I can't even recall the price of the 11 inch MacBook Air... but if they ever released another MacBook with the same dimensions.. Id buy it in a flash. That and my mini would be a great combination. *so long as you're fine working on a smaller screen

The 11 inch MacBook put all netbooks to shame... it was the perfect laptop for students to carry around all day and super versatile.

Reactions: sos47

carloslegarda

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
The new Apple Pencil is basically targeted to people on a budget and schools/companies who plan to use an Apple Pencil as an input device for checklists, POS systems that need Apple Pencils for signatures, taking notes, and charging their Apple Pencils using USB C.

And perhaps the main reason Apple is keeping the 9th gen iPad is to cater to large enterprises and schools who use them and need to buy replacements that still use lightning because they've already invested in a lot of hardware that use lightning.

Last edited:
Reactions: sos47

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
The new Apple Pencil is basically targeted to people on a budget and schools/companies who plan to use an Apple Pencil as an input device for checklists, POS systems that need Apple Pencils for signatures, taking notes, and charging their Apple Pencils using USB C.
I think its a decent deal for someone who is after an Apple pencil for taking notes etc (that doesn't require pressure sensitivity and doesnt mind charging by USB C)

A decent saving and another option alongside the decent Logitech crayon (which Apple also sell).

carloslegarda

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
I don't think the Vison Pro will replace your Apple Watch nor your iPhone. The Vision Pro will be a good tool for developers and for niche users who need that sort of thing. I agree that we will probably get a simpler version in the form of glasses or shades in the future and it will work together with all or most of the other devices like Apple Watches, iPhones, iPads, etc.

Your Apple Watch will be just another input device, your iPhone will be just another input device, your Mac will be just another input device that you will be able to use with VisionOS in a Vision Pro or whatever lower end model that would be more comfortable to wear in the future.

Reactions: mrfunnypenguin

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I don't think the Vison Pro will replace your Apple Watch nor your iPhone. The Vision Pro will be a good tool for developers and for niche users who need that sort of thing. I agree that we will probably get a simpler version in the form of glasses or shades in the future and it will work together with all or most of the other devices like Apple Watches, iPhones, iPads, etc.

Your Apple Watch will be just another input device, your iPhone will be just another input device, your Mac will be just another input device that you will be able to use with VisionOS in a Vision Pro or whatever lower end model that would be more comfortable to wear in the future.
I think a cheaper version of the vision pro could do amazing service as a private cinema screen. If it is $1000 to $1500 with high resolution high contrast ratio it could negate the need for a 60 plus inch OLED TV if you watch a lot of movies (alone lol)

Id sure buy one for that purpose (and some AR now and again).

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Really enjoy Luke Mianis Youtube channel... especially his projects on fixing up older Apple hardware he finds on eBay etc

He has some really good commentary on the current state of Apples product lineups and buying advice for the average consumer too.
He is great for Mac content, probably the best even, but he’s always negative on the iPad because as a video editor, the iPad isn’t for him and he doesn’t understand the product.

If MacRumors going to discuss the Future of the iPad... why not discuss it with someone who's content is iPad-focused like Chris of DailyTekK YT channel.

I see Luke Mani more Mac focused... still prefers to use their 2018 iPad Pro (which lacks the ability to take full advantage of iPadOS features).
Fully agree. Or Byte (Tom) or Christopher Lawley or Fernando from 9 to5Mac. In other words, actual iPad users

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
He is great for Mac content, probably the best even, but he’s always negative on the iPad because as a video editor, the iPad isn’t for him and he doesn’t understand the product.

Fully agree.
A bit harsh saying he doesn't understand the product... I think the vast majority of people understand the iPad as a product.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Exactly! I'm not criticizing Luke... I like his content, but he doesn't really put an effort into creating iPad-focused videos while Chris of DailyTekk does.

A bit harsh saying he doesn't understand the product... I think the vast majority of people understand the iPad as a product.
But his latest video about the iPad (RIP iPad) proves that while Chris of DailyTekk made a response to it.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Ok fine, maybe a bit harsh but I would invite everyone to go through his videos on iPad content and count the positives vs the negative ones.He’s clearly biased against the iPad.

that doesn’t invalidate his opinion on it but I do thing it would at least be nice to hear the other side as well People that actually use it professionally

here’s my personal hot take: we went through a Mac refresh cycle with M series chips and design changes. Watch it be extremely stale for the next 3-5 years. Same as the iPad. Is the Mac dying??

dandy1117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I often repost this message during iPad Pro discussions by "pundits" and forum members.

My company develops B2B iPad solutions. One of our clients is a medium-sized real estate firm. They deployed a custom iPad app to their staff. The staff considers the iPad the most powerful computer they’ve ever used because it significantly improves their professional workflow. In the field, with long battery life and integrated wireless connectivity, they can upload real estate property pictures, edit the inventory database, prepare and sign documents, conduct video tours and conferences using the front and rear cameras simultaneously (and watch ESPN while waiting for clients! Shhh!) We are implementing AR functionality so that they can do virtual staging based on the potential buyers' style or corporate branding theme. We can also use LiDAR for automatic floor plan updates and measurements.

The tablet form factor and iPadOS are not a limiting computing environment for them; quite the opposite. They can do more on the platform than the previous Windows setup with laptops. Similarly, we’ve developed iPad apps for medical offices and corporate-meeting production companies that see higher productivity and significantly reduced IT maintenance costs after deploying iPads for some of their staff.

Again, these firms don’t consider custom iPadOS apps as limiting or for "basic" functions. I think that many people on online forums may not need a tablet for their computing needs and don't seem to consider the wide range of uses for the iPad as a computing platform for professionals.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
The last major obstacle in MacOS they need to overcome is the limitations of iPadOS software. Until you can run pro apps under iPad it can't replace your laptop/ desktop so you'll need both. Of course this benefits Apple sales greatly so it may never happen. I personally hate having to switch between devices to do my daily driving.

However, they've created the ability for devs to create an iPad app which runs on MacOS. Sadly, I haven't seen many developers actually take advantage of this.

Ideally I'd like to see they merge the OSes into one. I suspect the main obstacle is allowing for touch objects in the UI. Interestingly you can sidecar your iPad and use the pencil to "touch" all the objects on the screen of MacOS. Also we've seen a lot of the UI design features of one platform become adopted in another (stage manager, system settings, control center, widgets). So maybe this might be a long-term goal? Maybe not.

We could use web development as an example of how this could be done. You can create a web page that will fit on any screen and adjust the UI accordingly. Imagine being able to run your favourite apps on any Apple device and having the same general UI elements across every device instead of re-acclimatizing your actions every time you switch to another computer.

One can dream.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The last major obstacle in MacOS they need to overcome is the limitations of iPadOS software. Until you can run pro apps under iPad it can't replace your laptop/ desktop so you'll need both. Of course this benefits Apple sales greatly so it may never happen. I personally hate having to switch between devices to do my daily driving.
I disagree the limitation of iPadOS software in the context you make... there are plenty of pro apps under the iPad, case in point Affinity suite and DaVinci Resolve.

It's honestly up to the developers to port (or optimize) their app for the iPad. It's running an M series chip, Apple has proved that pro apps can be built on the iPad... with Final Cut Pro and Logic. You pointing the finger at Apple... when in reality it should be on the devs to do it.

Reactions: smulji

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
For me the iPad is perfect the way it is. But I’m an artist. The iPad is made for someone like me. The Apple pencil 2 is revolutionary for me as an artist & the iPad Pro is my favorite device. I sketch on it. I edit photos & videos. I consume media. It does it all. In fact I ditched my laptop years ago. My 2018 11” iPad Pro is still going strong! 💪🏼 Maybe that’s why sales are slow. These things last forever. I also have an iPad mini for when i want to travel light.

Now about the Apple Pencil 3? I do not get this at all! What a weird move by Apple. Yeah, it’s cheaper than the 1st gen Apple pencil… but the design is just as bad. Why doesn’t Apple just lower the price of the 2nd gen Apple pencil & make it work on ALL ipads? THAT would make sense. The gen 1 apple pencil should be discontinued & the 3rd gen should not exist. There. I said my peace. 😂

About the folding ipad coming next year? Sounds interesting. Makes sense for Apple to test the waters with the ipad first before bringing it to the iphone. The concept of a foldable ipad on paper sounds cool. I’m just not sold on the technology yet. All the foldable devices I’ve seen develop a very noticeable crease. As an artist, that would annoy the hell out of me. But if this rumor is true, perhaps that is why Apple didn’t update the iPad mini this year. Which I am kinda bummed about. I was ready to buy the ipad mini 7.

Anyway…. I don’t think the iPad is dead. For us artists, they are an invaluable tool. Even for the casual user, they are great media consumption devices. Much better than a laptop or phone in my opinion to watch movies on.

randywolf244

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
I can't even recall the price of the 11 inch MacBook Air... but if they ever released another MacBook with the same dimensions.. Id buy it in a flash. That and my mini would be a great combination. *so long as you're fine working on a smaller screen

The 11 inch MacBook put all netbooks to shame... it was the perfect laptop for students to carry around all day and super versatile.
Dude, I would love that. Pretty much the only reason I have an iPad is because I can't have an 11-inch air. Maybe that's why I cant have an 11-inch MacBook air, though.

Reactions: SamRyouji

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
I really, really enjoy almost all of your episodes. But there one strange thing lingers on my head ever since your first ever episode with Hartley Charlton in it, something very familiar.

I struggled to find out what it is, but now I finally found it:
Hartley's smile makes him looks like a male version of Anne Hathaway. And I mean it in a very good way. ❤️

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Luke wants the iPad to be a MacBook. Because it isn’t, he hates it. It will never be a laptop, therefore he will always hate it because Apple will never go that route. He doesn’t remotely understand the product at all because people who buy the iPad love it for its compactness, its speed, and its simplicity as well as power. They don’t want to use a mouse with it and have no interest in attaching monitors or running desktop apps on it. These are people who don’t need a terminal that lets them hack into their OS, even though iPadOS has exactly the same underlying OS as macOS, just with different touch-based libraries. Apple hides all that for simplicity’s sake, and has from day one. Apple makes things like Stage Manager, but hides them from view, just to appease the YouTubers who are critical non-stop because they can’t run macOS on it.

As someone else mentioned, Chris of DailyTekk and Christopher Lawley and Fernando Silva, are iPad enthusiasts who would make better guests than someone who can’t see the iPad as a tablet and not a laptop. Sure, the iPad sucks as a laptop. But it’s NOT a laptop just as a MacBook (and all Surface Pros) sucks at being a tablet, because it’s not a tablet. In his eyes, Apple is deliberately crippling the iPad because they’re not making it a laptop when in fact Apple is just trying to make the best loved and best selling tablet in the market today. They’re not crippling it in any way. It’s just a different product, and that’s what he doesn’t understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.