Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss the possibility of the next-generation iPad Pro featuring the M4 chip and what else to expect at Apple's "Let loose" event.

While Apple's upcoming iPad Pro models have been expected to feature the M3 chip for over a year, recent reports have unexpectedly suggested that the new devices will instead contain the as-yet-unannounced M4 chip and that a key new feature of the processor will be an upgraded Neural Engine optimized for AI tasks. Introducing the M4 chip in an iPad and only six months after the previous chip generation would be unprecedented moves, but there is evidence to suggest that it is a plausible possibility.

Apple's "Let loose" event is expected to focus on the unveiling of redesigned iPad Pro models with OLED displays, two new iPad Air models, a high-end Magic Keyboard accessory, and a new Apple Pencil. We also talk through the three other announcements that Apple could have in store for the event.

The special event will take place on Tuesday, May 7, at 7 a.m. Pacific Time (10 a.m. Eastern Time), with a live stream to be available on Apple.com and on YouTube as usual. The MacRumors Show is now on its own YouTube channel, so make sure you're subscribed to keep up with new episodes and clips going forward:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about the announcement of Apple's "Let loose" event.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by interesting guests such as Matthew Cassinelli, Brian Tong, Quinn Nelson, Kevin Nether, Jared Nelson, Eli Hodapp, Luke Miani, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie.

The MacRumors Show is on X @MacRumorsShowhttps://twitter.com/macrumorsshow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up with the podcast. You can also head over to... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: New iPad Pro With the M4 Chip for AI?

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
M4 sounds good impressive. I have an old ipad pro that I want to trade in. Will trade in values via apple drop after the announcement?

Reactions: Jovijoker

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I moved from the M1 iPad Pro to the M2 MacBook Air last year as my main computer. I really enjoy using both machines, but the MacBook is just a little bit more practical for me.

I’m eager to find out what’s new with these new iPads, I think the only thing that can get me to switch back again is if it has support to run macOS apps, which I’m sure is very unlikely.

I haven’t really been keeping up with the rumors, I’m sure it’s just a hardware refresh, probably won’t see any software news until WWDC next month.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
I hardly ever use my 12.9" M1 iPad Pro. I've been thinking about selling it and walking away from the iPad altogether. I just have little to no use for it, personally. On the flip side, my 12yr old son uses his 12.9" iPad Pro all the time.

I guess for me I have been holding out hope that one day it would support macOS and it just feels like that day will never come. It feels like the M1 is such a waste of potential in my iPad. I just don't see how the M4, even with AI features, would make the iPad experience any better. At least for my use case.

Now if Apple made an iPhone Pro Max that unfolds into an iPad-like tablet, I would buy that. Especially if it was as thin as the Honor Magic v2 foldable.

Reactions: gusmula

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
We haven't seen any leaks at all regarding new iPad Magic Keyboard... and the new Airs... the rumours indicate the same design but landscape camera?

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I hardly ever use my 12.9" M1 iPad Pro. I've been thinking about selling it and walking away from the iPad altogether. I just have little to no use for it, personally. On the flip side, my 12yr old son uses his 12.9" iPad Pro all the time.

I guess for me I have been holding out hope that one day it would support macOS and it just feels like that day will never come. It feels like the M1 is such a waste of potential in my iPad. I just don't see how the M4, even with AI features, would make the iPad experience any better. At least for my use case.

Now if Apple made an iPhone Pro Max that unfolds into an iPad-like tablet, I would buy that. Especially if it was as thin as the Honor Magic v2 foldable.
I pick up my iPad mini more than any other iPad I have.

It's the ultimate consumption device... eReader, Streamer, Note Taking, Web browsing. and it doesnt make your arms ache when holding a long time.

Larger iPads are just too heavy for using this way... the larger screen is nice but unless you're propping it up on something... you can't hold them long.

iPads have use cases... especially artists etc... but for most people iPhones and iPad mini are great consumption devices on the go.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have read the suggestions that the iPad Pro will get M4 now so that it will be ready for developers to use to start leveraging the AI functionality being added to iOS, iPadOS and MacOS at WDCC. iPadOS and iOS are close enough that I could see that being of some benefit, but unless they suddenly let iPad Pros run MacOS, I don't see how that helps develop new native Mac apps most-effectively.

I also just do not understand the arguments that the new AI functionality iOS, iPadOS and MacOS will require an A18 or M4 to really shine. There are scores of millions of iPhones, iPads and Macs on A15, A16, A17, M1, M2 and M3 that also need to be able to effectively use that functionality, otherwise it is going to face-plant something fierce because only a relatively very small percentage of their installed base is going to toss their current equipment for an M4/A18.

And what of the iPad Air, which is said to be getting M3? It's going to be a bad look for Apple to showcase how "super-amazing" the iPad Pro with M4 will be for AI and then go "oh, and here is the new iPad Air with the M3. It's okay. I guess."

barabba9174-bis

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
I'll change the iPad because I still have the M1 model and ultimately the battery doesn't last long, but an M4 seems a bit wasted to me with iPadOs without dual boot.
Furthermore: if they activated dual boot I would order the 13", otherwise the 11". What a mess.

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
they cant use the M3 chip in new iPads. M1 M2 M3 ALL have a major security flaw that cant be fixed with software.

People dont want to buy chips with a major design flaw built into them.

This is why they are moving on and using the M4. They can redesign this chip to fix the major flaw.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I have read the suggestions that the iPad Pro will get M4 now so that it will be ready for developers to use to start leveraging the AI functionality being added to iOS, iPadOS and MacOS at WDCC. iPadOS and iOS are close enough that I could see that being of some benefit, but unless they suddenly let iPad Pros run MacOS, I don't see how that helps develop new native Mac apps most-effectively.

I also just do not understand the arguments that the new AI functionality iOS, iPadOS and MacOS will require an A18 or M4 to really shine. There are scores of millions of iPhones, iPads and Macs on A15, A16, A17, M1, M2 and M3 that also need to be able to effectively use that functionality, otherwise it is going to face-plant something fierce because only a relatively very small percentage of their installed base is going to toss their current equipment for an M4/A18.

And what of the iPad Air, which is said to be getting M3? It's going to be a bad look for Apple to showcase how "super-amazing" the iPad Pro with M4 will be for AI and then go "oh, and here is the new iPad Air with the M3. It's okay. I guess."
The ML aspect of Apple SoC is still super powerful.. even for generations old SoC. And tasks for AI can be spread across multiple parts of the SoC... it doesnt have to be designed for AI to use AI. SO I suspect a level of functionality will be present for anything with ML architecture.

And some people may not even use these new AI functions... I suspect your iPad will work just as well as before. And I truly hope they give us the option, just like with Siri, to switch the whole AI aspect off... should we wish.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
they cant use the M3 chip in new iPads. M1 M2 M3 ALL have a major security flaw that cant be fixed with software.

People dont want to buy chips with a major design flaw built into them.

This is why they are moving on and using the M4. They can redesign this chip to fix the major flaw.
Loads of processors have design flaws... most are sufficiently patched, and rely on other conditions to be present that there is really not much of a threat to a regular user. Most users don't even know their devices processors have design flaws, and never will or be affected by it.

And who knows, M4 might end up with a design flaw... it's much more common than people realise. And most software mitigations are more than enough.

You're probably doing other things that put you at way more of a security risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.