Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we talk through how we would make changes to Apple's product lines in an attempt to make them simpler and more consumer-friendly.

Today, Apple sells eight iPhone models, six iPads, six MacBooks, four desktop Macs, two external displays, and four sets of AirPods. Some product ranges, such as the iPad lineup, have been subject to particular criticism in recent years for being overwhelming and confusing for average consumers. We discuss how Apple could simplify its offerings by presenting a clearer selection of form-factors, product names, and price points. Let us know what changes you would make to the structure of Apple's product lines in the comments.

Listen to The MacRumors Show in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up with our discussion on some of the latest major rumors about Apple's upcoming iPhone, iPad, and Mac models.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Andru Edwards, Kevin Nether, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Mark Gurman, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Sara Dietschy, Luke Miani, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, iJustine, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, Jon Rettinger, and... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Our Plan to Fix Apple's Product Lines

I miss the simplicity of the iPhone lineup. When less was considered more. Simpler times! 💫

gsmarena_001.jpg

Hyperchaotic

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2005
Confusing? I think the product lines are very easy to understand by a few clicks on the website. Obviously made to try to get people to move to the more expensive products but that's a normal strategy.

I agree on the Mini. I got a 13, it's a brick and I regret not getting the Mini instead. Might not be able to buy an iPhone in 3-4 years when it's time to upgrade or at least I hope the competition will have something smaller (sadly they're growing too).

johnmarki

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2020
In my dreams Apples Desktop lineup would be 🤔 ....

3 All-in-Ones
iMac 4.5k 24"
iMac Studio? Pro / Max (5k 27")??
iMac Pro XDR? Max / Ultra (6/8k 32/34")??

3 Desktops BYOD
Mac Mini / Pro
Mac Studio Max / Ultra
Mac Pro Ultra

Basically just counter the BYOD devices with several iMac configurations.

Apple would find themselves creating a Macintosh desktop ecosystem that would cover the cheapest needs, and the most luxurious of desktop computing needs/desires. Finally matching the love and care Apple shows the iPhone, iPad and MacBook divisions.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I really liked this episode. I would love an Iphone 15 Mini Pro just for the dynamic island feature. Phones are already getting expensive so having that kind of option would be nice.

I wish Apple TV had a stick like Roku does. I typically use my Roku as a travel device because it's much more portable and easier. If Apple TV had a stick I probably would sell the Roku device (Even though I've been watching more stuff on the Roku channel recently).

Reactions: harriska2

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I miss the simplicity of the iPhone lineup. When less was considered more. Simpler times! 💫

An iPhone lineup that is too "simple" doesn't give shoppers much choice and flexibility. For example, as it is now, if someone wants a basic iPhone they can pick the SE. If someone wants a more feature rich iPhone, they can pick something like a Pro Max. Why should someone who wants basic have to take and pay for all the features of the Pro Max? Why should someone who wants more features be limited to a basic phone?

Choice/options can be a good thing. Imagine if Outback only offered one steak/meat or Chevrolet only offered one SUV?

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Also get the nomenclature under control.

This years products should be:
- MacBook Air 22 M2 13”
- MacBook Air 23 M2 15”
- iPhone 23 line
- iOS 23
- iPad similar as above.
- macOS 23 Ventura
etc.

Also, please stop with the 99 pricing.

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
I understand the business reason to fill every single possible gap in variables. The problem is that consumers then always feel that *another* device that the one they chose may have been better. When there was only one iPhone (albeit different storage sizes), you were happy with what you had. You had *the* device. Now, the grass always seems greener with what you *don’t” have.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we talk through how we would make changes to Apple's product lines in an attempt to make them simpler and more consumer-friendly.

Today, Apple sells eight iPhone models, six iPads, six MacBooks, four desktop Macs, two external displays, and four sets of AirPods. Some product ranges, such as the iPad lineup, have been subject to particular criticism in recent years for being overwhelming and confusing for average consumers. We discuss how Apple could simplify its offerings by presenting a clearer selection of form-factors, product names, and price points. Let us know what changes you would make to the structure of Apple's product lines in the comments.

Listen to The MacRumors Show in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up with our discussion on some of the latest major rumors about Apple's upcoming iPhone, iPad, and Mac models.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Andru Edwards, Kevin Nether, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Mark Gurman, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Sara Dietschy, Luke Miani, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, iJustine, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, Jon Rettinger, and... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Our Plan to Fix Apple's Product Lines
Sorry but Apple's product lines do not need fixing just because y'all need to clickbait.

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Too many SKUs for sure. The iPad line is very confusing.
I like that there is still a model sub-pro with a laminated display. and I understand why they want an even less expensive model for the education and “don’t care” markets. It’s not that hard to read the spec sheet if you care.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
When Steve came back in 1997, one of the first things he did was cut out the overabundance of models of the Macintosh lineup. Now, just like then, there are too many models.

This is the most accurate observation yet. For those who don't know Apple history after Jobs was forced out the product line became bloated in an attempt to maximize revenue. Instead of that happening they saw their profit margins collapse as their product lines confused customers and cannibalized on itself. Jobs return brought focus and cohesion back to the company.
Looking at the current product lines things are looking like they're headed back in that direction. The Mac Pro line seems to lack confidence in itself as there is no clear roadmap for it's future and a blur between itself and the iMac line. If AMD or Intel is able to match or beat the M-series in terms of power and efficiency before Apple gets this sorted out then their gains over the past two years could easily collapse. Tim is great at running Apples financials but he needs to step back and put someone else in charge of the product line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.