The Magic is Gone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OSMac, Oct 4, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Steve did amazing things over the past few years,
    but speaking of today's event someone said 'the magic is gone'.

The stock market seems to think so, with a $60 per share drop since 9/20...

What do you think?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I think that Apple just made the best phone even better and everyone needs to quit complaining and be grateful that such amazing technology is available for a few hundred dollars ....

3. cward0715 macrumors regular

Grateful?

We're consumers. Apple should be the one "grateful" that we even buy the iPhone.

4. d0vr macrumors 6502a

5. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

If not Apple, then someone else. Take them off the pedestal for a second and realize they're still a company whose aim is to make money.

6. EddyP macrumors 6502

Don't even bother. Walk away. This will not a place of rational thought for the next week or so. It's going to take some time for the spec geeks to come down from their "the screen is too small!" fit.

7. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Not a single thing excited me from this keynote. I am up for an upgrade too. My 3gs just might make it another year.

8. EddyP macrumors 6502

Yup. And they'll still make a freaking mint off this "disappointing" phone. It will still sell like mad. It's still a nice upgrade from the 4. Maybe not enough to get everybody who owns a 4 to upgrade. But I think it's safe to say it will sell like mad.

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Magic's gone. There's nothing about the phone that wows me. I don't care if Apple will make a ton of money selling them, they're not making any of that money from me.

10. Dheald macrumors member

It's just, 1.5 years to pack new tech into an old form factor?

And also, pushing the 3GS for free and the iPhone 4 at $99 like were getting some sort of deal. Every carrier in Canada has had these prices for going on 6 months now!

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

12. shortys408 macrumors regular

lol at iphone 4 8gb at 100$. My parents bought 16gb iphone 4s for $150 four months ago.

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

The big thing for me is the CDMA and GSM in one, since I plan to do a lot of traveling. But yeah, most of the improvements are in iOS 5 which will work just fine on iPhone 4.

So yeah, if you got an iPhone 4 recently, you won't feel like you just got screwed or cheated out of new tech. And if you have a 3GS or some other device thats older or you just want to enter the iOS ecosystem, this is a great upgrade.

Apple is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. If there was an iPhone 5 that was a massive upgrade, you'd have threads about how Apple screwed iPhone 4 owners (especially those who bought recently) by introducing something so different and awesome.

So whatever, it is what it is. The iPhone 4 was a great phone, the 4S is even better. Faster processor, 1080p video camera, 8MP better quality photos, and Assistant are more than enough to keep Apple competitive going into 2012.

Yep, I got my iPhone 4 16GB for $147 at Sam's Club 3 months ago and I don't feel "ripped off" by that.

14. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

15. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Agree.

Had my 3GS ready to put for sale, but I'll wait for the 5 or get another brand.

16. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I wish I could trade in my computer for one that's more than twice as fast and does astonishing new things, a year after I bought it, for a couple hundred bucks (with trade-in opportunities that will actually net me positive cash). Heck, this new iPhone does things my relatively late-model computer can only dream of.

As for the stock market, it hasn't made sense regarding Apple for a long time. The P/E is ridiculously low, especially considering Apple's cash horde. Shrug.

Apple will keep executing crisply as it has done for years. Steve is missed, but it's clear there's more to Apple than Steve. Arguably, Steve's greatest accomplishment is building the team you saw at work today.

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I love the reaction to this.... people remember you set yourselves up for disappointment by latching on to iPhone 5 rumors that weren't based on reality in the first place!

18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

In the movie version, Leonardo will play the part of Tim Cook and Apple will be portrayed as a big ship. I think that we all know how it ends.

19. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Leave and never return.

20. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

All the markets are down. They have been all day.

21. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

22. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

The 4S is infinitely better than your 3GS. I think this is a perfect upgrade. Compared to your 3GS you will get WAY better photos (8MP versus 3.2), videos (1080p versus VGA), like 10x faster processing power, Retina display, Battery life (8 Hours 3G talk time versus 5 Hours) etc.

You are just letting emotions get the best of you. Cool off that you didn't get some ideal rumor-based phone and you'll realize that the 4S is a great upgrade for someone like you if you really like Apple's ecosystem and how everything just works.

If you go android or some other carrier, then I guess you really don't place much value on Apple's ecosystem and all the benefits of Apple at all, in which case, why haven't you done it already? GO!!!

23. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Heh. I think you nailed it. Plus the droiddroids will be out in force (already are) typing "fail!" into as many forum forms as they can get their sticky little fingers on.

Fact is, the 4S is a remarkable accomplishment, and it remains the most beautiful design in phonedom, and Apple's engineering is firing on all cylinders for both hardware and software.

And "about a week" is accurate, too. The knee-jerk negativity from the perpetually unsatisfied will wash away when the lines start to form.

I really like my 4 and am looking forward to my 4S, which will be even better.

24. admanimal macrumors 68040

Right, because Steve had nothing to do with the creation of this phone.

25. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

See my other comment.... just because the rumor mill hyped up the "iPhone 5" and Apple only announced the iPhone 4S doesn't mean today was a failure, you are allowed to be disappointed all you want, just don't buy the product!! As a consumer you voice your opinion with how you spend your money so exercise that instead of complaining ..