The Man In The High Castle (Amazon Original Series)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ucfgrad93, Nov 24, 2015.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Is anyone watching this series? I love alternate history and am really enjoying this show. I'd highly recommend it.

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I watched the first two episodes prior to the release of the rest of the seasons. I found it a little slow. I might go back to it eventually. I am catching up on some other shows that are long overdue.

3. Zenithal macrumors 68040

We've only watched the first two episodes. The second episode was a bit slow, IMO. Episodes 3 and 4 will be seen tonight, starting in an half hour provided the kids don't wake up wanting to be fed. And probably cram in an episode tomorrow, but I doubt that. Too busy prepping for Thursday.

4. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

I've watched the first 5 episodes and I think it's excellent too

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I watched all of it. It was good, but I'm still not 100% sure what the point of it was.

6. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Maybe you have to wait for season 2.:p

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

It is on my list of things to watch. This looks really good though!

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Maybe, I'll be interested in seeing where they go with it if there is a second season for it, which I"m assuming there will be.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Binge watched all 10 in 3 days. Fantastic. Can't wait for season 2 -- and there better be a season 2!

10. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just finished the 5th episode, and I am really enjoying it. I have so many questions that I can't wait to find out the answers.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I love the theme song. I forgot to mention that. Such an ominous vibe to an otherwise bright and sunny song.

12. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Well, neither of us got to watch anything. I will say that if you couldn't figure the show out or find it enjoyable, you either don't like alternate history or you need to read the book. I highly suggest reading the book.

13. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The book is on my to be read list.

14. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Great! At a leisurely pace it should take you under 7 hours to finish.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I watched the first season and kind of agree. The hook for this story is the relationship between real and alternate histories which

is not answered
    in Season 1. Hopefully if there is a season 2.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah, I hope they have more about that in a second season. Has anybody that read the book watched the full season yet? Do they have much more to cover without adding to it?

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It's the Austrian national anthem.

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

LOL, no, it's not.

"Edelweiss" is a show tune from the 1959 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical The Sound of Music and as an article from The Atlantic, ‘Edelweiss’: An American Song for Global Dystopia, explains:

It’s a common misconception that “Edelweiss” is a classic Austrian folk song, selected for The Sound of Music to bring to the show an added dash of cultural authenticity. It is not. It was written for the musical in the late 1950s by Rodgers and Hammerstein, who wanted to create a song for Captain von Trapp that would subtly convey his regret and his sadness and his pre-emptive nostalgia at having to leave Austria after the Nazi takeover.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Ah! Knew I recognized it.

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Here's the original version of the song from The Sounds of Music:

And here's the "High Castle" version with breathy sibilants and timpani drone crescendo:

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

We watched the first two episodes tonight and were hooked.

22. Huntn, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've found Phillip Dick stories to be vibrant, interesting reads, but seem to be used as a starting point for movies who then run with the ball to places not visited by the author.. TMITHC is on my reading list. I recently read We can remember it for you Wholesale (Total Recall), where they never make it to Mars. :)

Good article for more insight. Apparantly the story exists in an alternate reality. However, the description of the book sounds like the alternate reality hook I've mentioned, as in there being two possibilities, does not exist, but I've not confirmed that. They really want $10 to read an old book that's less than 300 pages?

No Heroes
    The mournful Philip K. Dick masterpiece behind Amazon’s splashy new series The Man in the High Castle.

23. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. That price will probably keep me from buying it for my Kindle.

24. localoid, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If it's Dickian, the basic question is: What is real? Basically, Philip K. Dick spent a lifetime exploring the nature of reality in the majority of his works, and this question (on the nature of reality) spilled out into Dick's own (personal) reality, as well as spilling out to affect the reader's perception of reality (as Dick noted in The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick: "Maybe by writing about it and getting other people to read my writing I change reality by their reading it...") And that will probably scare the b'jesus out of more than a few, since even the thought of "escaping reality" is a really terrifying no-no in some people's (conventionally-minded) minds...

25. Jws macrumors regular

I watched most of the episodes last weekend and finished it on Monday. I absolutely loved the show, and although I had never read the book, I had a suspicion about the
    alternate reality theory
    once Juliana seemed so certain that the "grasshopper lies heavy" film was real in the first episode.

I will be putting the book on my to read list. I learned that Dick had intended to write sequels to the novel but never got around to it, so I don't know how satisfying the novel will be to finish. I do hope they have a clear idea where they're going with the show in the future if they haven't already sped past the plot of the novel in season 1.