The man with the largest hand...

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
.. is in Shanghai for surgery.

When Liu was hospitalized in Shanghai last month, his left thumb measured 26 centimeters, his index finger was 30cm and his middle finger 15cm. The overall weight of his left arm was about 10 kilograms.
"It was the biggest hand in the world," said Chen Zuliang, a hospital official. "Liu's fingers stopped growing in recent years so plastic surgery was at last possible to correct the malformation."

On July 20 surgeons began a seven-hour operation to reduce the size of Liu's fingers and thumb. Doctors removed 5.1kg of flesh and bone in the procedure.

Doctors say Liu will have to come back to the hospital in another six months for surgery to reshape his left arm and shoulder. He is now left with three fingers on his left hand -- the thumb, the ring finger and his little finger, but it is hoped that with some training and rehabilitation, life will soon be back to normal for him, and he will no longer have to find ways and means to hide his hand whenever he goes out.
link

High Five, Dog.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Amazing, the size of the forefinger and thumb boggles the mind. I wonder if they were actually movable...obviously the middle finger was useless.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Liu has localised gigantism --specifically macrodactyly -- the most famous case of which was the "Elephant Man" Joseph Merrick, who had proteus syndrome*. Gigantism is often confused with elephantitis, which has similar effects but is caused by lymphatic vessel obstruction, most commonly caused by a parasitic disease. Elephantitis has several effective treatments, whereas the type of gigantism Merrick and Liu have (had) can only be treated by directly removing tumors and growths.

Andre the Giant also had (pituitary, I believe) gigantism, which eventually resulted in his untimely death.

*He was called "Elephant Man" as it was believed at the time that he had severe elephentitis, if I recall correctly.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Poor guy.
my thoughts exactly. can't have been easy living like that.

Liu has localised gigantism --specifically macrodactyly -- the most famous case of which was the "Elephant Man" Joseph Merrick, who had proteus syndrome*. Gigantism is often confused with elephantitis, which has similar effects but is caused by lymphatic vessel obstruction, most commonly caused by a parasitic disease. Elephantitis has several effective treatments, whereas the type of gigantism Merrick and Liu have (had) can only be treated by directly removing tumors and growths.

Andre the Giant also had (pituitary, I believe) gigantism, which eventually resulted in his untimely death.

*He was called "Elephant Man" as it was believed at the time that he had severe elephentitis, if I recall correctly.
thank you for that. i was going to ask just what caused the growth.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Wow, I honestly laughed when I saw that, although I feel bad for him.

It looks like the roots to something.

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
I'm trying not to laugh while imagining being flipped off by that middle finger. He would cause a wreck. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The sad thing is that he can't hide that thing whenever he goes out. With certain abnormalities, I'm sure you can hide them under clothes and such. In his situation, this isn't the case. Everywhere he goes, people will stare at him. At least in my situation, I can just hide my gigantic features in my pants. What's he supposed to do? :(