Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobpensik

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Calgary, AB
My gf bought me one of these case backs and it was beautiful. The fit was perfect, finish was awesome and it made my iPhone 4 looks really unique.

There was a really bad side effect though, it killed my reception. As I mentioned I have the iPhone 4 so reception isn't the greatest anyway but with this back on it would kill 2-3 bars of my signal. As soon as I took it off my phone signal went up. Tried lots to make it work but I couldn't live with the signal reception issues.

When I had the back on in my house I would get 2 bars when the phone was sitting on the table and it would drop service if I picked it up. With the OEM glass back on I would get 4-5 bars with it sitting on the table and 3-4 in hand.

Mas was great with customer service and great to deal with.

KittyBurn

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
That looks sweet. Can't wait to get mine. How do you like it? Does it seem tough?

Its made amazingly. And it has tactile feel to it so less slip.

Combination of iPhone 4S White - Element Vapor Pro White and Silver mixed - and Rust Mas Design Back. (also have brushed silver but didn't do pictures with it yet)

IMG_5410.jpg

IMG_5411.jpg

IMG_5412.jpg

IMG_5414.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

IMG_5422.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

vtclan

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Its made amazingly. And it has tactile feel to it so less slip.

Combination of iPhone 4S White - Element Vapor Pro White and Silver mixed - and Rust Mas Design Back. (also have brushed silver but didn't do pictures with it yet)

That looks awesome. If you happen to have both complete white and silver vapor pros, would you mind posting a couple of pics for me of the white plastic side combined with the silver right side? (the reverse of your combination)

KittyBurn

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
That looks awesome. If you happen to have both complete white and silver vapor pros, would you mind posting a couple of pics for me of the white plastic side combined with the silver right side? (the reverse of your combination)

Not as cool haha. :p If I get a chance I will for sure.

Geo411m

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I just got my custom Mas sandblasted titanium back this morning. It's a really nice, well build backing. Build quality is excellent. It's looks like it came straight from Apple. The sandblasted titanium back looks just like the stainless steel antenna band.

I did a field test to see signal strength and it does knock a bar out. my phone went from -89 to -101 or basically lost 1 bar of service. Pictures are the same quality as the OEM lens.

Overall I give it a 9 out of 10. Knocking a point off for the drop in cell strength. Now I got to decide if I want to order a apple logo sticker :)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    446.4 KB · Views: 117
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    609.7 KB · Views: 186
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    514.7 KB · Views: 87
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    605.5 KB · Views: 124
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    509.7 KB · Views: 135

Geo411m

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
It killed a bar? Dang... Guess I'll be sticking with The Lucky Labs back :/

It killed a bar at my home but I don't get great service there anyway. I've been playing with it outdoors and I have perfect signal -67db. Not sure what to make of it.

mbh87

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
I didn't notice any signal drop but I didn't look at the numbers (forgot how to), but visually I didn't lose any bars.

JadedBen

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Essex, UK
I just got my custom Mas sandblasted titanium back this morning. It's a really nice, well build backing. Build quality is excellent. It's looks like it came straight from Apple. The sandblasted titanium back looks just like the stainless steel antenna band.

I did a field test to see signal strength and it does knock a bar out. my phone went from -89 to -101 or basically lost 1 bar of service. Pictures are the same quality as the OEM lens.

Overall I give it a 9 out of 10. Knocking a point off for the drop in cell strength. Now I got to decide if I want to order a apple logo sticker :)

:eek: easily the nicest 4/4s back I've seen! Has that iPhone 2G look to it IMHO. A black apple logo in the original position would finish it off perfectly :apple:

Did they charge much extra for the sandblasting?

I really want one!

Geo411m

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
:eek: easily the nicest 4/4s back I've seen! Has that iPhone 2G look to it IMHO. A black apple logo in the original position would finish it off perfectly :apple:

Did they charge much extra for the sandblasting?

I really want one!

They didn't charge extra. I just called first and said I wanted something that looked like antenna band and they said sandblasting it and said they could do it and won't put any logos. They told me to purchase the brushed natural and put a note/email saying I wanted the "sandblasted ti plate instead."

I agree with you on the apple logo which is why I ordered the black apple logo from http://GrafiXpressions.com/. It looks like the stock logo and it's really cheap. I got it from their eBay store and saved on shipping since they don't charge for it on their eBay site but charge $3 on their official site.

I can't say enough how great this back looks. The build quality is amazing and looks just like the antenna band. I've already had people ask me how I did it or do I have some unreleased iPhone?

KittyBurn

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
They didn't charge extra. I just called first and said I wanted something that looked like antenna band and they said sandblasting it and said they could do it and won't put any logos. They told me to purchase the brushed natural and put a note/email saying I wanted the "sandblasted ti plate instead."

I agree with you on the apple logo which is why I ordered the black apple logo from http://GrafiXpressions.com/. It looks like the stock logo and it's really cheap. I got it from their eBay store and saved on shipping since they don't charge for it on their eBay site but charge $3 on their official site.

I can't say enough how great this back looks. The build quality is amazing and looks just like the antenna band. I've already had people ask me how I did it or do I have some unreleased iPhone?

Can you link the ebay offering for the same logo as the iphone 4s? I have been looking for too long now :p

Geo411m

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Thank you. Ordered some silver ones. What color did you go with? I have the white iPhone.

I took the black one to go with the silver back. I wanted my phone all black and silver. I think on the real site they have chrome black and carbon fiber as well.

KittyBurn

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
I took the black one to go with the silver back. I wanted my phone all black and silver. I think on the real site they have chrome black and carbon fiber as well.

Yeah I wanted it to go with the rust color. So I figure the silver will be a good mix. Black would be too dark considering my case and iphone are white. And white would have just looked weird.

Geo411m

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Yeah I wanted it to go with the rust color. So I figure the silver will be a good mix. Black would be too dark considering my case and iphone are white. And white would have just looked weird.

Silver should look great with your back cover. Take some pics when you get it.

HoosierInFL

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
If you buy one of the Mas backs, be forewarned that it will scratch like crazy. Even if you baby your phone it will get lots of scratches. I emailed Mas about this and I was told that Titanium is a soft metal and scratches are to be expected. Heck, mine arrived with scratches right out of the box and I was told it is normal.

So far, it seems as though just sitting my phone on the table causes scratches. I take great care of my phone, but I've already got lots of scratches that I have no idea how they got there.

mbh87

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
If you buy one of the Mas backs, be forewarned that it will scratch like crazy. Even if you baby your phone it will get lots of scratches. I emailed Mas about this and I was told that Titanium is a soft metal and scratches are to be expected. Heck, mine arrived with scratches right out of the box and I was told it is normal.

So far, it seems as though just sitting my phone on the table causes scratches. I take great care of my phone, but I've already got lots of scratches that I have no idea how they got there.
I noticed that as well. I've only had mine on for a total of 3 days and it's already pretty well scratched and I don't even set it on any hard surfaces. I just emailed them asking if there was anything I could do to get rid of them. Didn't want to take steel wool to it before asking and completely ruin it.

lazybee

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
I've often worked with titanium, and specifically, finishing it. A good choice for a quick restoration is ScotchBrite of an ultra fine grade. Now. Depending on the depth of a laser engraving it may or may not work perfectly. Also, the only other added difficulty here is the camera lens and flash opening.

Overall, the best bet is to let it be. Titanium is relatively soft and it does tend to scratch quickly, so without adding an epoxy clear coat, or something of that nature...you are pretty much stuck with an easily scratched surface.

HoosierInFL

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I like the back, even if it does scratch super easy. I also ordered one like Geo posted earlier. Sandblasted and with no logos. I'm hoping a clear protector will apply well to it so that it might fight off scratches.

mbh87

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Anyone experience a really annoying sound while making calls with this back on? It's making calls almost unbearable for me :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.