The MBP trackpad does seem to be glass.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanwarsaw, Nov 4, 2008.

1. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

So it became painfully obvious to me today that the new trackpad is in fact glass and does indeed break. :(

Did a quick search and haven't found any of what promises to be one of many "My trackpad cracked" threads. Has anybody gone to the Genius for a replacement yet and how much am I looking at to fix it?

Attached Files:

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

haha, thats awesome, and all you people were so thrilled about having a glass trackpad

[​IMG]

sorry for your loss though, i think you're out about 300 bucks

what did you drop on it?

3. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

There was a coffee cup (thankfully it was empty) sitting on top of the room service menu above my desk. I reached for the menu wanting to order some food and the cup tumbled down. Ugh $300 is a bit steep, I was hoping I could get out of it for like $100. Does the whole body have to be replaced to fix this?

On the bright side the thing still works the same as ever. So I might just leave it for now and wait until I am done travelling to deal with it. I would hate to replace it now and it gets banged again somewhere on my trip LOL. I go to some rough and remote places so minor scratches and bumps are just a matter of life for me.

I am rather thankful it wasn't the screen that took the hit. I will be waiting for the official "£$%£%&^$%!!!! I BROKE MY SCREEN!!! IT COSTS HOW MUCH?????" threads.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

thats a good question, i know befor they would have replaced the whole top piece, but on theses new notebooks the trackpad might be a seperate piece they can replace for less, but i dont think $100 would even cover labor, maybe $200

call and find out

a coffee cup is going to do a lot of damage no matter what the trackpad is made out of, if it had been the old one it would have a nice size dent in it now

5. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I called the Apple store and they have no idea how much it will cost, how long it could take or anything. I live sort of far from an Apple store and they insist I must take it in and show them the crack.

So I have to go up there show them the crack and have them tell me it appears to be cracked (um yeah I know). Why can't they just order the part and let me go up there when they are ready to fix it? This means making at least two trips up there. I am also leaving the country in a couple weeks and have no idea of their time frame for getting this done.

So that's the latest news I have. Anybody else having problems getting their new MBP repaired or at least getting basic information on prices etc.? It seems like not even Apple is sure about prices and service on their new MBP at this early stage. I guess they are just making it up as they go.

6. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

Going my last genius bar fixes I would say at least a week for the fix. I actually had to have mine done twice (Left IO board) as the Apple store screwed it up. But that's another story, 1 week at least anyhow.

7. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I can live with a week. As long as they get it done by the time I need to leave the UK. I am going to Thailand and don't trust the level of service as much as I do here. Thanks for the info.

8. six.four macrumors 6502

I'm curious, does the trackpad still work with the massive crack?

9. kousuke18 macrumors regular

damn you got a dirty keyboard lol sorry for your loss tho the repair is probably gonna set you back at least $100.

10. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

keep it the way it is and you'll have a MacBook Pro Crack Edition® :D

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If it still functions you could put some of that screen protection film over it until it gets sorted.

12. blurfonz macrumors regular

13. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Yes it works perfectly. There is no problem as far as functionslity goes and I am now thinking of not bothering to fix it until I get back from Laos.

14. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

Not that this is of any consolation but glass is more scratch proof, compared to other materials such as plastic.

15. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Ouch.

Take it to an apple store and beg for mercy. If you're lucky, the Genius will be really nice :D

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

just call apple care and tell them you got your macbook pro with "a dent on the trackpad" :D and ta da they will send you a new one muuuahahahahaha

17. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Actually, if it works normally, and you aren't feeling any edges of the cracks... just keep it. It will definitely be a conversation piece. And a unique example of "takin' a lickin' and keepin' on tickin'." (modified slogan for the MBP "Timex" Edition: "Takin' a whackin' and keepin' on trackin'." )

PS: thank God for empty cups...! :)

18. LastZion macrumors 6502a

very clever.

OP- ouch man, keep us posted on the repair

19. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Just wait until you get glass in your finger. That would suck!

20. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

The glass actually still feels pretty smooth. There are no shards or anything popping out. As one poster pointed out it also does seem that glass is more scratch proof. :) thanks for making me laugh.

21. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Sorry to hear about that. Hope it won't cost too much to fix.

23. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

Lol, glass is 'really' relatively more scratch proof than plastic, but it is brittle.

Not that is matters, but there are bits and pieces on the mbp. I guess it has been to dinner parties.

24. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

hah! i showed the picture to my friend and he was just terrified L O L !

25. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Wow, good thing the new MBP has a chiclet keyboard. Look at that mess!