The merged "I returned/sold my Apple Watch because..." thread

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jeek, May 5, 2015.

1. jeek macrumors member

I just dropped off my 42mm SS Watch at my local UPS store a couple minutes ago and here I am now writing up my thoughts about my honest experiences with it and why I returned it.

First off, I pre-ordered my watch at 12:03 AM PST. After an exciting 2 weeks, it finally arrived on the 24th. My friend, who preordered but wasn't as "lucky" as me, was just as excited about the watch as I was so I immediately drove to his house to show him the watch. Being a nice friend, I decided to unbox it when I went to his house. After around 20 seconds of tearing open packaging, my watch was in my hands. I got synced up in a couple minutes, no sweat.

The first day or two, the Apple Watch saw lots of use. Way more than normal. After the dust settled, the watch integrated with my daily life. I'd get notifications from things that used to come from my phone which was very convenient. Obviously Apple didn't want you to fiddle with the watch all day, it should be an extension of your phone, and it was.

After a week, I started feeling conflicted about the watch. Sure, I had a little buyers remorse about the ~$750 I just spent on the watch, but the price alone isn't what put me off. I believe that I'm in the market for a $750 watch, but for some reason I just couldn't justify the cost of spending $750 on this watch in particular.

What I did like:

The software. Configuring this thing is pretty straightforward. You enter in your details, set up your apps and glances and enter in your physical info and goals into Activity so that you can start tracking various metrics throughout the day. It's great. Notifications are consistent, the haptic feedback response is nice (though it could be a little stronger), and the activity tracking features are really nice, though if you don't do a lot of cardio you may not use it as much as you think. Sometimes the UI can be a little confusing at times (force touch doesn't feel intuitive at times being one example), but I think that the Apple Watch blows away its competitors in this department.

Fit and finish. All of the materials used in the SS watch feel expensive, even more expensive than what I paid for it (for some reason). The leather strap has a nice feel to it and the stainless steel case looks classy. The digital crown is smooth as butter and the heart-rate monitor on the back looks really cool. Apple has always paid a great attention to detail and the Apple Watch is no exception.

What I didn't like:

Third-party apps. All of the third-party apps are slow. In fact, it's so slow, that I avoided using them whenever possible. We all know why they're slow, but it still is an issue. It takes, for me at least, the same amount of time to grab the phone out of my pocket and open up an app then it takes for me to load it on my Watch. As a result, I found myself sticking mainly to notifications.

Fitness tracking. I'm 50/50 on this. On one hand, it's pretty good, but on the other hand, I feel like it's a compromise. You don't have to run with your phone, but it's recommended; workouts are limited to cardio; and the constant heart-rate monitoring can burn through the battery (this is a problem with photo HR monitors in general). Getting everything stored into HealthKit is nice, but honestly the UP does a better job in this department. The benefit of having fitness tracking on the Apple Watch is that it's part of the Apple Watch—you don't need to have a separate device to track workouts—but it still feels like a giant compromise.

The overall appearance. I'll admit, this is a first world problem at best, but despite the exceptional fit-and-finish of the Watch, it's still very bulky. It feels like I strapped a rock onto my wrist. Seriously. I know that Apple tried their best to cram everything into the Watch, but it's still pretty thick.

Overall:

I think that Apple is leading the category at the moment, but the category itself is still relatively new and trying to figure itself out. I think that the Watch has a lot of great features, but falls short on software and technological fronts. In my opinion, the Watch is a true v1 Apple product and they will learn from this release with the second one. With that said, I could probably justify a Sport Watch at the very most, but the SS feels like you're sort of overpaying for this piece of tech, even if it's for status-related reasons.

2. Mavik macrumors member

I have the 38 mm and it doesn't feel bulky at all. It looks and feels amazing.

Also, the third party apps may be slow and awkward to use now, but it will get better in the next few months.

3. mynameisjosh macrumors regular

mynameisjosh

Most all of the negatives you mentioned are software issues that are going to be fixed within a few months. But I understand that if it's not right for you, its not right for you.

I came from a Pebble, so I'm used to wearing a slightly "heavy" watch. I don't even notice it.

Maybe you'll like the 2nd version in a year or so.

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

You could have sold the watch for an extra $100-$200 easily

5. Teejus macrumors regular

hey man more power to you for returning it. Its not for everyone. I don't find it heavy at all and i came from a timex....

6. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I bet you will get the second gen, its always better

7. Geckoking macrumors member

yep your thoughts are dead on as mine..
    I came from pebble to a Galaxy gear neo to a moto 360 and now a apple watch.
    For the price of the apple watch it is just ridiculous how much it cost for so little it can do. This watch should cost no more than $250-300. In my opinon the galaxy gear neo was one of the best smartwatches that was made due to the easy OS and almost all the fuctionality that Samsung introduce are also on the apple watch.

As for me im still keeping it due to that fact that i have a iphone now and hope apple can improve on the speed of apps and hope developers create better apps.

8. tknice macrumors member

Perhaps the sport version would have been better at 399 and you would have felt better about waiting for the pending software updates? We all know they're coming. :)

9. Spooky73 macrumors member

Nicely written, objective impressions. I think I'd feel similar to you if I had gone with a SS model.

I'm very happy with my Sport and it totally meets my modest expectations. But I knew I only wanted the "entry" level model coming into pre-order. It's fun, it's convenient, it's sporty, comfortable and light. The SS models certainly feel more premium but I was shocked at just how much heavier they were when I did the try on appt. and I'm just not a fan of the attempt at the fancy look.

10. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I tried the sport for 3 days and sold it. My SS with classic buckle arrived today. I'm not sure what I'm planning to be honest. I really don't receive a lot of notifications and I have a GPS sport watch to run with.

I'm willing to give it a shot, but I may end up buying a Citizen Ecodrive instead.

If I keep it, I may have to switch to a cheaper band as $150-200 for a band just doesn't do it for me. If this were a Movado or other high end watch it would be a different story.

11. Sophrosyne macrumors member

Sorry feel that way. I paid an extra $200 to get my watch off eBay earlier than I would have waiting for my order to ship. I don't regret spending that extra $200 one bit.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The thinking by Apple is that the Apple Watch is a high-end watch like Movado. It may not be mechanical, but they consider it a high-end, precision crafted 21st century timepiece.

Your choice as to whether or not you agree with them.

13. ohwevad macrumors member

We don't know what's coming. We can only hope for performance improvements. We as in watch watchers in general.

I also disagree with your use of "pending". There's no evidence that any improvements are pending. Sure it'd make sense, but that's all. Don't buy something hoping it'll get better. That adds nothing to the pro column.

14. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

Not if you sell it on eBay, the fees will be at least 10% of the selling price.

15. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Apple has been working on this watch for at least 2 years now. I don't see how it's likely that they'll suddenly fix everything in a few months.

Furthermore certain 'issues' like slow-loading apps were a design choice to save battery life.

16. venom600 macrumors 6502a

Seriously? I have the 42mm and I think it's almost too small... it's smaller than my previous watch and smaller than most of my coworkers watches. Are you just not used to wearing a watch at all?

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Apple fans love to talk about how the software kinks will get smoothed out.

Some do, but but some never do. There are still problems with copy/paste in iOS that have been there since iOS7. iTunes gets worse with every version. iTunes Match is a mess and always has been. MobileMe was so bad they killed it. It goes on and probably always will.

My experience is that general sluggishness might get addressed in a dot firmware update, but 2 or 3 full versions later, the sluggishness is back to stay.

18. flur macrumors 68000

Thats a claim you'll need to back up. What exactly makes you think this was a design choice, or that it's even actually a thing?

I don't have ANY slow-loading apps, and one of the apps I use is 3rd party (Wunderlist), so I'm disinclined to believe you.

19. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

He's right. The choice was to not allow native apps but rather extensions for iPhone apps. That's why there's such a lag with many third party apps. Even with tweaking this is not going to change a whole lot. Once apps are allowed to be installed to the watch that's when you'll see much improved performance.

20. Alith macrumors 6502

A spinny wheel seems to annoy people. If you launch a 3rd party app on the watch is asks the phone to launch it. Nobody seems to complain that launching the Nike Running app on the phone results in a loading screen, with some promo photo of models wearing Nike trainers, followed by a home screen which is blank until the app connects to the Nike server and updates your stats. All this takes about 6-8 seconds, which is why the watch is displaying a spinning wheel.

I'm sure all this will be history with iOS 9 and watch kit. Presumably 3rd party apps will behave similarly to the native ones.

21. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

For me, my 42mm SS is great. It's beautiful and feels great on my wrist. Performance will vastly improve with updates. For the moment, I don't really need many apps to control from the watch. Native apps are coming and I can wait. Im sure version 2 will be much better, but for a v1 product, I'm super happy. ~$650 is a little steep, but i don't think I would've been happy with the sport. The SS just feels solid. Plus I have 18 months of interest free financing and I plan to use it and pay it off in 12, hopefully just in time for v2. So I won't even really notice the payment. Overall I'm very happy with what the watch offers at the moment.

If I were u I would have sold it rather then return it. You could have made a lot of money! I was even thinking of selling mine, reordering and just waiting because crazy people are paying almost double at the moment.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

OP makes great points. I only just received my 38 SG BSB, but enjoying it so far. It's everything I thought it would be -- but I didn't have high expectations. I always thought it would be mostly a "mirror" of my iPhone.

Completely understand the buyer's remorse. I could not have spent what some are spending for an AW. 100% not worth it IMHO. $350 is the right price and something I can live w/ while accepting any 1st gen bugginess.

One of the first things Steve Job's did when he came back to Apple was to consolidate the many Mac models. He believed, correctly, that it created consumer confusion and indecision on what to buy so they ended up pushing off the purchase, eventually permanently.

I have to wonder if Apple offering so many models at so many price points, none of which are really functionally distinctive from one another, is going to end up biting Apple just like it did back in the mid-90s. The AW is arguably the least intuitive device its offered in quite some time. It seems it may have been a better route to use the iPhone model of 2-3 color choices in 2 sizes, respectively at the same $350/399 price point. Then offer a la carte bands.

As the AW gains traction going into the 2nd gen, then maybe add some "limited" higher end SS and 18K gold model. It just seems Apple might be getting ahead of itself here. I can see a lot of SS buyers like OP getting buyers remorse. The average return rate for a consumer product is 15% and 27% of that number is due to buyer's remorse. It's a lot more likely to feel remorseful about buying a 2/3rd baked $500+ device than it is a $350 one. One could buy the $350 model, but many consumers ego will not permit them buying the bottom of the the line. When you make just one line that's not a problem.

23. auero macrumors 65816

I'm in the same boat as you for similar reasons. While it will differ among users, I personally found that it wasn't saving me time. I sit at a desk most of the day where my phone is out of my pocket. Pretty much anywhere I go I take my phone out of my pocket to be honest.

Third party apps will get better, but I'm curious how much faster they'll get with fetching data. That's really what cripples them for me. I'm looking forward to revision 2.

24. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I'm guessing the people complaining that the watch is big and bulky have never worn real mechanical watches.

25. Ries macrumors 68000

Because most fitness apps don't take 6-8 seconds. I can launch endomondo from a fresh start and start a workout under 2 seconds. 1 if the app is already loaded. Loading my history takes less than 2 sec too. You are rarely waiting for stuff on the phone, it almost always ready to click something within 1-2 seconds on a good network connection.