The Micro Console News & Reviews Thread

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Apr 3, 2014.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

So, who's got one?

Which one?

Ouya? Sony VitaTV? Amazon Fire TV w/ Controller?

What do you think? Pricing? Future?

2. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Thought I resurrect this.

Looks like the Playstation Vita TV is around $40.

I went to Microcenter and they have a huge display with the new nVidia Shield Console. At $199, is it a "Microconsole"?

Then there's the new AppleTV, new Amazon Fire TV, price cuts on Nexus TV, etc...

Anyone see Microconsoles taking off this holiday season?

3. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I honestly don't see them taking off this year. If the Apple TV had included a real controller, maybe apple's name brand would have carried some momentum, but not with the MFI controllers being purchased separately.

I expect mostly free to play game apps initially on the Apple TV, with micro transactions generating the revenue vs the traditional $60 console game model.

4. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

I own the PlayStation TV. And although I haven't really used it too much just yet. I plan to set it up for the Remote Play and maybe to play some of the Vita games like SAO on a bigger screen.

5. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Anyone getting a Microconsole?

The Nexus Google TV is closing out at $49 so was thinking about that one.

Please post your AppleTV as a games console reviews as well...

Thanks!

6. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Well, I got the last one at Walmart.

Here's my impressions:

Setup - easy, then went and automatically upgraded the system to the latest version (hooked it up initially to a computer monitor).

Interface - really, really nice.

Available software - well, apart from the normal Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube, games are pretty scarce. There were about 80 Google Play TV games available and I was interested in like 1 or 2. Many seem to be games based on Japanese Anime... :eek:

Compatibility - with my older home theater setup, hooking up to the HDMI to component converter, the Nexus Player outputs to 480p. You cannot change it in settings. :mad:

Well, it went back to Walmart. This thing is much WORSE than a Playstation TV, which you can get right now for $40 (plus you need a controller). My PS TV has a bunch of games already but too bad Sony is letting it flounder.

Used the money and decided to try the new Apple TV - review to follow...

7. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I've seen PS TV down to $20 today as part of the BF sales. I have no interest in any of these though.

8. gkarris, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015

gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

nVidia Shield - got one on sale for $175, but Gamestop will have them for $149 AND A FREE Remote ($50 value while supplies last) on Black Friday.

I don't know if I'd consider the these more expensive consoles a "Microconsole" as they are well over the $99 price tag.

But, here goes if you are interested...

PROS:
    - The nVidia's Shield build is fantastic - I'm talking a quality that matches (maybe even better than) the current gen consoles (Wii U, PS4, XBox One).
    - Everything ran silky smooth because of the powerful processor and GPU.
    - Controller was very comfortable (but a major negative - in CONS).
    - 4K compatibility for videos.
    - Definitely the one to get if you like Android and are interested in the Android TV games.
    - Supposedly streams games well (didn't try it).
    - Many games of PC quality available for it (was looking at X-Plane 10).
    - Can use many controllers, mice, keyboards with it (has USB ports).

CONS:
    - Compatibility with older systems. Was not compatible with my HDMI to Component Signal converter in my Home Theater (like the new AppleTV, my system said "out of range" - no matter the video setting, plus you cannot choose the setting in the Shield). Had to watch it through my XBox One. Well, if I have to turn a console on anyways... :eek:
    - Strange Android compatibility and errors. YouTube searching worked but did not play videos - my iPad and cheap Android tablet I had on hand worked fine...
    - Games I was interested in I tried out and I was not impressed with. Some games cost more than the iOS versions. Other games already available on PC/Consoles cost as much/more than new or used physical copies or Steam/GOG versions.
    - Menu button on controller was touch-sensitive. Whoever thought of this obviously never used a gaming controller.

Well that's it on Shield.

I returned it. May revisit one if they go down to $99 and more games are available.

9. apolloa, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I have the first gen Fire TV, didn't get it to play games but I did then buy the game pad for it. It works alright to be honest, I do have the Gamefly streaming app, which I am not supposed to have being in the UK. I just found it on the store and grabbed it, and then Amazon promptly removed it.

I can't sub to any of the game packs but I can play the 10 minute demos and it works great I think, certainly makes these little devices good games systems if your internet is fast enough. The streaming services need more games selections though.

I have had fun playing Beach Buggy though mainly because I can just use the controller and not the gamepad, you can do the same with Asphalt 8 but that game is huge and eats most of the Fire TV's 5GB user storage, and it won't allow itself to be moved onto the USB storage.

As a media streamer I love the device, use it every day pretty much. I love Amazon's interface.

10. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Thanks for posting - was wondering what a FireTV is like.

May get on just to try - the new ones are $75 this weekend. Hopefully I can use just a wired XBox controller or bluetooth controller with it.

11. gkarris, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015

gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Amazon Fire TV 4K

I got one at Best Buy for the $75 (Black Friday evening when the crowds were tapering off).

In a nutshell - great if you are into Amazon media, horrible if you want gaming.

PROS:
    - Great for Amazon media buyers and members. Didn't try the other ones but Hulu, Netflix, and other network TV apps are available. 4K Compatible.
    - Can use BT and USB controllers and keyboards with the unit as it's core is Android.
    - Reasonably priced ($75 right now).
    (well, that's it... :eek:)

CONS:
    - Setup a chore. I get the "out of range" but knew to hook it up to my XBox One HDMI Input. As it booted, it asked for my Wi-Fi password, then remote stopped working - I couldn't go any further. I guess the remote/unit are its own WiFi network of some sorts. I had to connect the box to a wired Ethernet and on/off caused it to go to Amazon to do updates. After updating, the remote wasn't working but the unit said it was "updating the remote". After all this, the remote still was buggy and have to reset it (take the batteries out and back in) every few minutes.
    - The games. Sev Zero is great, but the only one. Looking through all the games, there's a couple console ports, but they're $10 - Gamestop has those titles for under $5 (XB360 and PS3). There are some casual games I already have on iOS - I will contact the developers to hopefully make them AppleTV compatible. A few others were $3, but I had already bought them on Steam on sale for less than $1. A couple others I had just bought for the new AppleTV. The rest of the games you are lucky if you get PS2/N64 quality graphics :eek:. Most are "I can make money from Apple & Amazon with a cheap game"...
    - Slow internet connection, the streaming media throttles down to horrible quality, like 240p... My PS3, XBox 360, XBox One, and PS4 stream the same media over the same network at much higher quality (buffering? better compression?)
    - The remote kept disconnecting every few minutes (must reset remote via disconnecting the batteries). Had to use my wired XB360 remote to navigate.

So, the CON's, for me at least, are more than the PRO's. Definitely not worth it for 1 game.

I will be returning this today.

If you want this for gaming - take a pass...

12. Vashed macrumors newbie

Vashed

Its sad the the Vita TV had to created because a handheld doesn't need a console to make the game sales higher.

13. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

As far as the Ouya as a Microconsole, there's a thread about it here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ouya-a-new-kind-of-game-console.1602921/

I can't even find one at retail prices if I wanted one. The Ouya site is sold out, and Target closed them out at $60 (sold out by the time I got there). eBay has them but prices are all over the place and seems to be more an oddity at this point.

From what I'm still hearing - no one's really missing anything... :eek:

14. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

15. EdwardSmith36 macrumors regular

Hi there, I'm here to get best review on console games so that I can hit a purchase on best one. can anyone suggest me a entertaining console game with advanced features.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wikipedia_gameboy_micro.jpg
    I think this is the only micro console for me!

17. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Awesome!

I have yet to even see one in person.

When they were new they had all sold out.

I haven't even seen one at a retro gaming store due to their collectibility...

18. kaioshade macrumors member

kaioshade

The GBA Micro was a nice little system. I played Final Fantasy I-II Dawn of souls on that thing. Image was insanely crisp. I still regret selling mine. Never saw one since.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I bought a silver one around launch but returned it (I don't even know why!). Then picked up a blue one a year later, then a pink one, then the Famicom edition one. Eep.

20. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

AFA AppleTV as a console, there's a lot of discussion in the AppleTV thread.

But in a nutshell:

- Games on AppleTV require the use of the Siri Remote as a controller. This hampers a lot of developers and their games.
    - Games are "streamed" which means levels are downloaded as played and can be a pain for those of us on slower Internet speeds.
    - Developers may make their mobile games compatible which mean you can just download the AppleTV version, or they can make a "separate" version which means you will have to purchase it again to play it on an AppleTV.
    - Retail cost of the base unit plus controller is $200.

So, do we have a winner?

In my opinion, it is the Playstation TV.

Yes, main reasons:

Now only $44, bundle is $80. You can use the PS3 controller if you have any laying around.
    Lots of games for it, as well as TV apps (though Netflix is still missing last I checked).
    It is great playing PSP/Vita games on a large screen from the couch.
    Has a cartridge slot for Vita games, the unit will download the PlaystationTV patches for the game automatically.

CONS:
    -Lots of great PSP/Vita/PSOne games still missing, plus you have to buy the PSP/PSOne games all-over-again as a download if you have the physical copy.
    -Special Sony memory cards are pricey.

The reason why I think it is a "winner" in the Microconsole category is that I think that this is a true "Micro-Console" - a tiny console under $100. It is the only console under $100 that has a lot going for it, though it seems only half-baked from Sony.

The Shield, FireTV (latest), and AppleTV4 , IMHO, are these new wave of "Mid-Consoles". They come in at $149 - $200 and fall between the previous gen of consoles (in this case XB360 and PS3, also at the same prices new) and the current generation consoles at $300+.

If the Nintendo NX comes in at $200, it will blow away gaming on these "Mid-Consoles".

The Shield and AppleTV have lots of potential in them and seem to be for a different segment than a "Microconsole".

Microconsole prices should be at or below previous gen used prices but have the convenience of playing casual games or games from a few generations ago (the PS TV will play original PS games).

Hopefully, as time goes on and people get more of these impoved consoles (or the price drops), you'll post your reviews here...

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ Interesting stuff. I still haven't bought a micro console (minus the GB Micro ;)) but the Vita TV thing has caught my eye a few times now. I didn't know it could connect with a PS3 controller though! I figured it would need a PS4 controller, what with the touchpad.

But I think I'd end up just using one to play my downloaded PS1 games, and for that I already have a PS3 hooked up. Though PSP games on the big screen would be tempting.

The ultimate kicker though is, as you said, Vita memory card prices. I'd prefer to get a large card but having bought one recently for my Vita... those things are pricey! Wish they would have settled for an SD card this time. Grr.

22. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

I feel your pain on the prices. Buying the 64GB card used was the only way that was possible for me. The darn thing still cost me over $100 USD. Might look into a 32GB card eventually. One for the regular Vita and the other for the TV.

I intend to connect my PSTV to my computer monitor and then be able to remote play my PS4. The added benefit of the larger screen for PSP and Vita games is not escaping me either. But a card larger than the 8GB I have in it would be needed.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm still working out what I'd use mine for.

Can you also remote play with a PS3? I know the PSP does that though it only really works with PS1 games, but does the Vita/TV?

24. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

I've never done it, but it does seem that the Vita/TV can remote play with a PS3 for the same things a PSP can. (PS1 games and apparently a few of the remastered titles like God of War and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus). PS3 remote play was software based, so it needed to be implemented by the developers, and very few actually bothered. But the PS4 remote play is on the hardware level, so (nearly) every game works.

25. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Added a Nvidia Shield TV to my collection for my birthday last month. WOW! It is fantastic, fast, powerful, whisper quiet. Runs Android TV like a dream, and with the Marshmallow update I have added 64GB (I got the 16GB model), and set it so it's part of the system storage,works great.

I have been playing Half Life 2 on it, old school style haha. And it's great, and quiet and no heat being chucked out. Love it. The Play store needs more apps though for sure, I have put Kodi on it though and that runs fantastic too.

It's IMO the best micro console out there currently.