the mid 2010 iMac and newer OSX versions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zoran, Nov 8, 2014.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

Are newer OSX versions faster on a mid 2010 iMac? Right now im working using SnowLeopard and im skeptical on making an upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite, should i be skeptical!

2. tyche macrumors 6502

I have a mid 2010 and see no difference in speed. Every version including Yosemite has run quick and smooth as the previous.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

So in terms of speed its not like that if one gets a newer OS, then that OS will make his imac run faster? At best it will only be "as fast" but not "faster"... am i right?

4. tyche macrumors 6502

In my experience with OS X since Snow Leopard upgrading the OS has made no speed differences. You get some added features like memory compression which might help low spec'd machines and a new look.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Low spec'd machines? How low spec'd, like our iMacs you mean or even slower?

6. tyche macrumors 6502

Like if the imac has 4gb of ram. Yosemite has better memory management but if you have 8 or more and don't use large programs you seen any performance gains.

7. sharon22 macrumors regular

I'm a Mavericks person ALL THE WAY. However, I will NEVER install Yosemite.

If you want to spend a weekend wasting time, but having fun, do this:

1.) Back up your entire system. In fact, make TWO (2) separate backups, a "Time Machine" backup, and a SuperDuper backup.

2.) While you're waiting several hours for the backup to complete, read and learn about how to Partition your Hard Drive so you can partition it without screwing everything up.

3.) Now, read and learn about how to delete the partition and restore it to how it was before, without losing data.

4.) When you feel you're an expert on partitioning drives, do step 5:

5.) Partition your drive!

6.) Install Mavericks on the new partition!

7.) Migrate your stuff (your home directory, apps, whatever) into your new Mavericks partition.

8.) Spend the next week going back and forth between your current Snow Leopard, and Mavericks. Run benchmarks, and all that fun stuff.

See? Now you can decide for yourself if you like Mavericks or not.

If you end up liking Mavericks, and you're happy with your Mavericks partition, then what you can do is back up that Mavericks partition (using Time Machine) to an external drive, and then do a full erase and clean install on your internal drive of Mavericks, and then boot into recovery mode and restore your time machine backup.

If you end up hating Mavericks and just want to stick with Snow Leopard, then, as you've learned in Step 3, you can simply delete that Mavericks partition and recover the space back to Snow Leopard.

See all the fun you can have :)

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You love gloss and fat fonts? I've been running Yosemite since DP1 and find it a welcome change from Mavericks and earlier.

9. sharon22 macrumors regular

Actually, I could have gotten used to the Southpark-esque cartoonish look of Yosemite.

What got to me, though... was the constant stuttering and jerkiness when opening any kind of window.

Hmm... stuttering. Jerkiness.... reminds me of a kid I tried to beat up in school.

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Gloss and fat fonts? Can you post a screenshot so i can understand what your talking about?

----------

Sharon22, you mean that with SuperDuper i can create a second partition on my already 1 partitioned MacOSX hard drive?

11. sharon22 macrumors regular

OMG, many apologies, I was inarticulate. No, I meant that when you do intensive things to one's own Internal Hard Drive, you should not only do ONE backup, you should do TWO backups, if possible.

Why 2 backups?

Because when my computer's hard drive died and I was doing a "restore-from-backup," I was LITERALLY SWEATING BULLETS.

And I stared at my backup drive through my beady little eyes.

And I started thinking, "my whole LIFE depends on this stupid-looking little bright orange hard drive.... I wish I had a BACKUP of my BACKUP!"

That's why I suggest TWO backups :)

And, just for "variety," I like to have:

1.) a Time Machine backup
    2.) a SuperDuper backup

That way, while you are watching your dear computer restoring itself from the Time Machine backup, you can be smug, knowing that even if your Time Machine Backup FAILS, you still have that SuperDuper backup that idiot on the Macrumors Forum suggested you have :)

In other words, it's good to have ONE backup.... but it's really really REALLY comforting to have TWO backups! (You won't be sweating bullets like I was).

Does that make sense? If not, I apologize, it's late, my beer is wearing off, and my nearsightedness is rearing it's ugly head....

12. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Doesn't seem like there is much more lag than in Mavericks... must be because I'm on newer hardware.

Comparing Yosemite with pre-Yosemite versions of OS X (including Snow Leopard).

13. sharon22 macrumors regular

"...must be because I'm on newer hardware."
    Yes, exactly. My hardware = mid 2007 iMac, so "twice as long" for me means 5 seconds vs 2 seconds.

For you, and your new hardware, "twice as long" means "2 billiontranillionths of a second vs 1 billiontranillionth of a second,".... you won't even notice.

Our brains aren't even fast enough.

Heck, I even forgot what I was just talking about....

I'm jealous :)

14. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Still, can you post any screenshots of what you are referring to?

15. sharon22 macrumors regular

Redheeler ain't gonna be postin any screenshots. He was just making a point...

Yosemite has what I consider Otherworldly Cartoonish Southparkish (what are those Comic Book movies that Bruce Willis acts in?) icons. Kind of weird, and spooky, and NEAT to look at (e.g. that spooky all-white 2-dimensional trash can)

... kinda like I died, and was using a Mac in Purgatory LOL

And Mavericks has the usual brightly colored icons with highlights and shadows.

So, comparing the two, I can see how a person would say BIG BRIGHT GLOSSY.

I didn't like Yosemite because it made my old mac all jerky.

And, the one thing that BUGGED ME TO NO END, gawd what kind of Amazon Rain Forest Root was the developer chewing on.... was how they thought that it would be BETTER if Safari did NOT show where you were at!

For example, in this forum, while I'm typing this, it shows in the URL window that I'm on a Reply Page within The Forum page, you can see the url..

But the new default way just shows the name of the site.

HOW STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID.

Makes me think some of the developers just sit around and dream up ridiculous ***** and they don't actually use computers for anything.

Imagine going to your banking site, and looking at the New Title format in Safari:
    Your Friendly Bank

But, the ACTUAL url is really:
    www.chase.bank.hacking-federation-of-a-back-alley-in-Cold-World-Russia.co.ru

Did they even THINK of that?!?!?

I think that was the straw that broke my camel's back.

Yes, you can change that default, etc., yada yada, but it just p**sed me off, and as most of you know by now from reading my posts, even the SLIGHTEST thing sends me on a tizzy.....

16. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Mavericks and Yosemite run just fine on older iMacs. Even my Core2Duo 2009 garage machine runs it perfectly well with two monitors. (Granted, the second monitor is a 720p TV, so not that stressy, but still.)

I don't see any reason to stick to Snow Leopard. Personally, I'm very happy having moved to Yosemite. The only downside is that it is obviously a Retina first design.

Whatever you do, I would try very hard to make it a clean installation. After 5 years or so, your Mac is going to be pretty loaded down with crap and it will run faster and be more stable. It's also an excellent opportunity to toss in an SSD.

----------

If your data is that important to you, you should be using a cloud backup service. Multiple local backups just mean that you are multiply redundant against failure, but not particularly protected from fire/theft/other disasters.

17. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Whereas Mavericks and earlier were designed with non-retina in mind, Yosemite was designed with retina in mind. Makes sense since Apple is trying to move into the retina direction with its product lineup. That doesn't mean Yosemite looks worse than Mavericks on non-retina, it just looks better than Mavericks on retina ;)

18. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Actually, the font choices *are* slightly worse on non-retina.

Not so much that I would not run Yosemite on all my machines (and do), but it is noticeable.

19. sharon22 macrumors regular

Uh-oh... there just went my calm, peaceful evening.

The word, "Cloud."

I will never, in a million years, use Cloud. (When I fly, I even tell the pilot not to use the cloud...) [ba--- DUMP]

When I hear someone mention cloud, here's what I hear.

Like, when I talk to my dog, this is what he hears: "blah blah blah words words words DINNER blah blah blah blah"

Anyway, when someone says "cloud," this is what I hear.

[spoken in a thunderous, and condescending voice]:
    "Ewww-kayyy all you Little People. Let's get that PRIVATE data of your's OUT of your Private Computer, and UPLOADED for all of us up here to see....."

Okay, okay, anti-conspiracy-theorists are now going to have a hissy-fit at me. And they are gonna say the word, "Encryption" (about as many times as I see the words "Retina" and "Stutter" in the same sentence), etc., etc.

But lemme tell ya somethin'

No way. No way am I uploading MY private data into someone's CLOUD!

And, no! I don't have anything I wouldn't want the world to see (I leave my computer on all the time at home, whole family can look all they want, no worries there), but there ain't NO WAY...noOOOOO waYYYYYYYYY i'M even uploading ONE bit/byte/whatever of my data to any cloud.

Disclaimer: Just to be clear, that's just me. I'm 100% SURE that ALL "cloud" services are 100% TOTALLY safe and secure and 100% ENTIRELY totally UNHACKABLE, and that ALL, EACH, AND EVERY cloud employee and company is 100% beyond reproach, clean-cut, full windsor-knotted tie, with socks above the ankles. My point is that if my BANK....heck, let's go farther, if my GOVERNMENT can get HACKED by a 12-year-old Back-Alley-Tattooed-Bandana-Wearing-Punk named, "O3N-K$Ng," then, well, I'm sorry, I ain't uploading Rover's First Christmas to no cloud.

20. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You'd be surprised how many people have 500 GB+ data. Have you ever tried backing up that much data to the cloud? Not to mention the privacy concerns that sharon22 just mentioned.

That being said I really do need to get a backup for my backup.

21. sharon22 macrumors regular

AMEN!
    I had to do an emergency restore, once, from my Time Machine backup.
    Lemme tellya, I was SWEATING BULLETS and praying like mantis that my backup drive did not fail during the restore procedure!

It's a moment where.... where..... where you're looking at this goofy little orange whirring box, and you realize your life depends on this goofy little orange whirring box.

Well, never again!

I now have TWO backups!

My main Time Machine backup, and a SuperDuper backup on a separate drive.

Now, if I ever had to do an emergency restore, I won't be all stressed out. I'll even be able to look cool. Shades on, nonchalant look on my face, etc. because if my main backup fails, heck, I've got a second backup!
    :p

22. sharon22 macrumors regular

Oops: I goofed up, I made a mistake, and I want to apologize to the previous poster Nrubenstein! I did not mean to use your post (which was actually very kind and thoughtful) to launch into my own opinion (that nobody wants to hear anyway) about "the Cloud." Nobody on this forum should be made to feel bad about anything they have to say, and I didn't mean to make anybody feel bad. It's just that I, personally, don't like the 'Cloud.' So, again, I'm sorry for my insensitive post, I appreciate your suggestion: yes, if I am so worried all the time about backing up, maybe I should think about alternatives, so you are right, and I will try to THINK before I post, next time. Thank you again for your suggestion, Nrubenstein, and one day, if I ever get past my hangups about 'the Cloud,' perhaps I'll avail myself of that type of backup service.

23. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

24. zoran, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I just cant seem to find a video/tutorial on how to do this (ssd installation) on my mid 2010iMac. There is a video only that it is for an older iMac (2009 model i think). :(

And sharron22 i totally agree with you regarding the cloud thing :D

25. tyche macrumors 6502