The missing feature...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smacman, Jan 29, 2012.

1. smacman macrumors 6502

As someone that has been wavering between iOS and Android for a couple of years now (currently own a 4s and a Galaxy Nexus), I can honestly say that for me, it all comes down to one missing feature. If Apple were to add a notification LED, they would have me back permanently. Please Apple.. Add this on the iPhone 5! Until then, the Galaxy Nexus edges the iPhone 4s for me (just my opinion.. I realize many would disagree).

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So a blinking light is what is keeping you away from the iPhone.

Wow - to each his own.

Personally, when I choose a platform I find which one best fits my needs, but I never considered a light a show stopper.

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Thank you so much for letting us know! I can sleep better now knowing that a little worthless flashing light is keeping you from fully enjoying your iPhone.

4. Total Respray macrumors member

This 'worthless flashing light' is a valuable feature to those who want to know if they've missed a call without feeling the obligation to caress their phone every few minutes.

5. webwbr macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey... Lighten up a little. The OP was just sharing a thought. Honestly, i agree with him. And if Apple did it, they would implement it in an industry, ground breaking way that would remind everyone how innovative Apple is.

The iPhone is a really good device, but Android does some stuff better (moreso for some others) but competition makes us consumers win!

6. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

An Apple approach to LED would be something like adding a white LED to the back of the earphone, the one beside the front camera. That idea could work.

7. cynics macrumors G4

It's ok to chose a platform that best fits your needs unless you need a notification system?

8. shadrap macrumors 6502

We all have to pick what works best for us. To each their own.

9. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

This lack of LED doesn't keep me from owning an iPhone, but it is one thing that I miss about my Blackberry. I had different colors for different missed items. Came in handy.

10. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Honestly, this really is the only thing we need besides the obvious upgrades.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's the last thing I need on my phone.
    My iphone to turn into a Christmas tree:D

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It would be nice to have, but for me it isn't a show stopper.

13. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

What's so bad about it? Do you enjoy having to click your home button to see if you have any notifications? Do you like having that home button wear down faster and lose battery life from turning the screen on more than you would if you simply had a tiny LED to let you know to check it?

14. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Given that, starting in IOS5, Apple added the ability to use the iPhone 4 camera flash as a notification LED I'd say they know it's a missing feature and want to do something about it.

I just hope its implementation is better than RIMs.

15. aleni macrumors 68020

Even scrolling load of thumbnails in facebook with galaxy nexus is lagging.

See u later bro, hope u don't miss anything at all from your iphone.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I rather check it when I want to instead of having an annoying light that keeps blinking and having to check the notification to shut it off and every few minutes it starts receiving more and goes off again.
    Its too BB like and old school tech IMO.
    I wouldnt want that on my phone but to each his own I guess.

17. cynics macrumors G4

I'd agree with you if you weren't given the option to turn it off.

18. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'm not as so anal that I have to check my phone every 30 seconds/minutes/etc. regardless if its via little bitty pretty blinking light or having to touch my phone and click a button.
    I also realize this is an unpopular opinion so I'm sure most will disagree.

But I'm more of a "my life doesn't exist if someone's not messaging/calling me" type of person. I'm more of a "sit out by the pool and relax and who gives a F if I have a message or not" kind of person.
    I simply refuse to let my life be ruled in any way by a stupid phone.

19. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

In that case Apple could provide an option to turn it off..

20. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Well, seeing as how there's a toggle for pretty much every type of notification in iOS already, I'm 99% sure that Apple would have a toggle for the LED as well. Are you saying that you would rather not have the feature at all, rather than the option to turn it on/off? Seems like someone's been drinking too much :apple:juice if you ask me :p

21. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Doesn't the LED just flash every once in awhile? Do you realize how worthless that is? Unless it's constantly lit, you'll have to stare at it until it blinks. Or until you realize it doesn't blink.

Unless you root and ROM it or something. I had a Nexus One, got it so the orb was lit constantly. That way I could actually look at it with a glance and know whether I have message or not. It was rubbish before. A light that blinks every once in awhile isn't gonna help you much. In fact, you may trick yourself into thinking staring at your phone until it (possibly) blinks is faster than just picking it up - even if it isn't true.

22. cynics macrumors G4

Typical flash time is 5 - 10 seconds. I find it to be very noticeable without being annoying.

23. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

You can easily notice a blackberry notification LED and it is also subtle in a way. I think RIM's implementation is best.

Since Apple will allow a toggle to turn it off anyway, i vote for the inclusion of this feature. Does not hurt anyone.

24. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

But come on, you wouldn't have to use it. It's optional on a BB, so it has to be optional on an iPhone.

25. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Id like to see the little home button icon become transparent and have an LED in it.