Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Have a pro max.

Here in the West Midlands of England on o2 it’s been fine, haven’t noticed anything different from the iPhone 7. Even drove across Wales (tons of hills, mountains, rural land etc etc) in to Rhyl and never lost signal.

Had a weird incident with the GPS though on the way back from that trip. For about 25 minutes it freaked out seeming to think I was on completely different roads hundreds of metres away. It was a nightmare. That never happened in my iPhone 7.

crouch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Hi everyone,

So I'm the original poster of the thread, and just wanted to provide y'all with a positive update:

I'm on the public beta program, and yesterday updated my phone to the latest beta (13.3b3) after reading it included a modem update, with developers reporting a substantial increase in reception speeds and connectivity. So I downloaded and installed it. Initially, I was disappointed: my phone still struggled to gain a data connection in my house (Washington, DC), and whenever it did, my speeds were abysmal, just like always. Today though, an entirely different story.

Where yesterday my phone would barely connect to AT&T, today I'm seeing speeds of 20+Mbps down! And this is in the dead-zone pockets of my house where I'd struggle to get even .2 Mbps down. Something has changed -- I believe they've made a significant leap forward. That said, this is entirely anecdotal!

Long-story short, there might be hope :)

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Hi everyone,

So I'm the original poster of the thread, and just wanted to provide y'all with a positive update:

I'm on the public beta program, and yesterday updated my phone to the latest beta (13.3b3) after reading it included a modem update, with developers reporting a substantial increase in reception speeds and connectivity. So I downloaded and installed it. Initially, I was disappointed: my phone still struggled to gain a data connection in my house (Washington, DC), and whenever it did, my speeds were abysmal, just like always. Today though, an entirely different story.

Where yesterday my phone would barely connect to AT&T, today I'm seeing speeds of 20+Mbps down! And this is in the dead-zone pockets of my house where I'd struggle to get even .2 Mbps down. Something has changed -- I believe they've made a significant leap forward. That said, this is entirely anecdotal!

I live in the DMV and that’s reassuring to hear. I’m still on the fence to upgrade my XS Max to the 11 Pro Max. I just want a better signal.

Reactions: crouch

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
I am convinced these phones with all of their AI and machine learning ... need a good day to survey the surroundings and settle in.

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
Hi everyone,

Nice one Crouch. Thanks for the update. I get mine back tomorrow after Apple refused to exchange it. If this beta works then it will save me having to go down the legal route!

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Well, good luck, but it’s unlikely to be a software fix. More likely a tower upgrade or repair, or just luck with which tower/band your phone latched onto. Otherwise it would have been better right after the firmware update.

My XSM has horrible RF sensitivity and edge performance compared to my previous 6s (which I still have). Without a doubt the XR and my son’s new 11 (both 2x2) have better reception than my XSM with 4x4 (due to the antenna design).

I just wish would make a phone with better reception than the 8+. I’d gladly pay more for this

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
So my 11 pro Max AT&T in California I’m getting absolute crap reception. Always seem to have one bar or two bars and phone cuts out where people can’t here me or I can’t here them and we always have to repeat everything.

I feel like the last carrier update made it worse. I reset network settings and that didn’t do anything.

Any other ideas?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I’ve had my 11 Pro since 9/22/19. Signal reliability seems to be VERY similar to my Qualcomm iPhone X. But speeds are drastically improved. I’m quite satisfied with this iPhone.

Reactions: MCKLMT

KeithCH

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2019
I commute through rural western Oregon on Verizon. Upgraded from iPhone 8 to an 11 Pro. Same drive every day and frequently on my phone. Tons of dropped calls on the new phone. Super bummed.
That sounds really frustrating. Does the new phone ride in the same spot in the car as the old one? On my work commute if I don’t have the phone mounted in the iOttie on the windshield I get dropped voice calls in exactly the same spot every day. I was hoping for just a bit more RF sensitivity from the 11 Pro.

Reactions: crouch

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
I have got the phone back And have applied the latest beta. It doesn’t seem to drop the calls any more but it is still going dead for 3 seconds. It used to drop the call after the 3 seconds but now the call carries on. Neither party can hear anything during the 3 seconds. I reckon this is just a fudge by the devs. If this is what they call fixing the problem then it is a shameful drop in the high standards that Apple used to have. Phone call to Apple coming up again!

Reactions: gtmac and crouch

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I have 11 Pro and the reception is trash. I'm not sure if it is Verizon or just the phone.

I get crappy signal/reception at my job. I never had this issue before, but I now have it with the 11 Pro. It takes forever when I send a text message with a picture, gif, ect.....sometimes it won't send at all and I'll have to try several times before it goes through. If I try to look something up on the internet while I'm at work it is hit or miss on how fast it works.....it's super crappy at my job. I have asked other people at work with iphones and no one else seems to have this issue...but they also have older iPhones. I'm the only one with a current iPhone 11 Pro. Sometimes just sending a normal text message takes a while. You can see the line at the top of the text sending/loading forever...with just a simple text.

I have the same problem at my home and elsewhere in general...just not as bad as my work. At home, I thought it was my AT&T internet, but I'm starting to think it is just the phone and not my wifi connection lol I'm not sure. I am not an expert at this. I just know the reception sucks. I was in the car this morning and I was checking something real quick while at a stop light and it wouldn't even load the internet...it kept saying "No internet connection" or something like that...it's ridiculous.

Is this Verizon or Apple? Im not an expert at what is going on.
Is this something I can take to Apple to look into? I don't want to show up to the Genius bar and they can't really do anything or run test.

Thanks

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I have 11 Pro and the reception is trash. I'm not sure if it is Verizon or just the phone.

I get crappy signal/reception at my job. I never had this issue before, but I now have it with the 11 Pro. It takes forever when I send a text message with a picture, gif, ect.....sometimes it won't send at all and I'll have to try several times before it goes through. If I try to look something up on the internet while I'm at work it is hit or miss on how fast it works.....it's super crappy at my job. I have asked other people at work with iphones and no one else seems to have this issue...but they also have older iPhones. I'm the only one with a current iPhone 11 Pro. Sometimes just sending a normal text message takes a while. You can see the line at the top of the text sending/loading forever...with just a simple text.

I have the same problem at my home and elsewhere in general...just not as bad as my work. At home, I thought it was my AT&T internet, but I'm starting to think it is just the phone and not my wifi connection lol I'm not sure. I am not an expert at this. I just know the reception sucks. I was in the car this morning and I was checking something real quick while at a stop light and it wouldn't even load the internet...it kept saying "No internet connection" or something like that...it's ridiculous.

Is this Verizon or Apple? Im not an expert at what is going on.
Is this something I can take to Apple to look into? I don't want to show up to the Genius bar and they can't really do anything or run test.

Thanks

I am not sure it is the phone. I have pour reception at work and have had that through many iPhones. It might depend on where you sit at work. The construction of a building could also mitigate against good reception. In our office location, staff who sit by certain windows have better reception than do other staff. Staff who sit in the center area, away from windows, have the worst reception. Reception is better after 5PM.

At home, WiFi is poor because of building construction.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I am not sure it is the phone. I have pour reception at work and have had that through many iPhones. It might depend on where you sit at work. The construction of a building could also mitigate against good reception. In our office location, staff who sit by certain windows have better reception than do other staff. Staff who sit in the center area, away from windows, have the worst reception. Reception is better after 5PM.

At home, WiFi is poor because of building construction.

Yeah, I'm not sure anymore lol

I had an XS Max last year and had no issues at work or home.

Maybe I'll try a total reset of the phone. See if that works.

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
It’s been a few months but thought I’d update this post with the latest situation. I managed to get my 11 Pro replaced by Apple. It was a refurb rather than a new one, which I was annoyed about since the original didn’t work from day 1. Anyway, this replacement also suffered from the same dropped call issue. I complained again, got another refurb again, and this one seems to be behaving itself so far.

I will see how it goes, but the possibility forming in my mind is that some early production run 11 Pro models have a hardware fault that can’t be identified by diagnostics, and Apple will keep replacing them until you get one that works properly. I imagine that if I got a new 11 Pro, it wouldn't suffer from the same issue. Just a guess though.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
My 11PM is much better than my XS Max was. I had to frequently toggle my Max Airplane Mode to get cellular data back. I rarely need to on my PM.

Same. Not the max, but XS vs. 11 Pro and have had much better luck with the 11 Pro. No more toggling airplane mode like I had to do fairly often with the XS. Verizon user.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
My iPhone 11 Pro Max gets reception in areas my previous phone (iPhone 6S) dropped signal. One place in particular I drop signal for YEARS now works just fine. I can only assume its because my newer iPhone 11 Pro Max has technology verizon supports my iPhone 6S did not.

Also the transfer from wifi calling to VoLTE is seamless where my 6S would always drop audio for a brief second if not completely disconnect. Now the transition isn't detectable.

Fortunately for me I didn't have anything newer than my iPhone 6S to compare too so for me its been an upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.