'The Morning Show' Actor Billy Crudup Wins 2020 Critics' Choice Award

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Billy Crudup has won a 2020 Critics' Choice Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his performance as Cory Ellison in the Apple TV+ series "The Morning Show." The full list of winners is available here.

This represents the first major award won by Apple TV+. "The Morning Show" was also nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Drama Series last month, while stars Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon were nominated for Best Actress in a Drama Series, but competitors won in both categories.

"The Morning Show" was widely panned by critics upon the launch of Apple TV+, but they were only provided with the first three episodes to watch. The series has a strong audience score of 94 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, and as more episodes came out in the series, some critics began to view the show more favorably too.

Article Link: 'The Morning Show' Actor Billy Crudup Wins 2020 Critics' Choice Award

Reactions: Rob1973 and zubikov

Ar40

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
Well deserved! Amazing acting! His eyes spoke volumes and he stole every scene he was in. His character and portrayal are excellent and a great meta element in the show (he's the audience stand-in character).

Here's hoping for two SAG awards next Sunday! Crudup or Carrell and Aniston!

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
Not surprised, he was the only good thing about the show. I loved the character he came up with. So fun to watch

• Angry
Reactions: Ar40

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
Great actor. Well deserved.

the weak link in the show is actually Reese Witherspoon. part of it is limitations in her skill—she basically plays the same archetype in 95% of her roles—and part is her role isn’t well defined.it and shifted as the season progressed. I like her as an actress, but she seems miscast in this.

i think the show has a lot of potential. Dial-back the tacky and excessive Apple product placements. Pick a lane for Reese’s character. And bring a POV around these tough workplace and societal issues with the grace and cleverness of the west wing. It will be a show for the ages. (E.g. the ranting on the screen in the last episode was lazy and cringeworthy. The slow pan away from Steve Carrel’s character was brilliant.)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

the weak link in the show is actually Reese Witherspoon. part of it is limitations in her skill—she basically plays the same archetype in 95% of her roles—and part is her role isn’t well defined.it and shifted as the season progressed. I like her as an actress, but she seems miscast in this.

i think the show has a lot of potential. Dial-back the tacky and excessive Apple product placements. Pick a lane for Reese’s character. And bring a POV around these tough workplace and societal issues with the grace and cleverness of the west wing. It will be a show for the ages. (E.g. the ranting on the screen in the last episode was lazy and cringeworthy. The slow pan away from Steve Carrel’s character was brilliant.)
Agreed, I can't remember a leading role disappearing like her character did as the season went on.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
TMS was my least most anticipated show in the weeks prior to launch, but it turned out to be the jewel in the crown of Apple TV+
My most favorite actor in that show as well. Insane acting - commands every scene he is in. My wife and I are really enjoying this show ( we didn't think we would ).

I wasn't too thrilled with the trailers I had seen for The Morning Show...I thought it wasn't going to be great but my wife turned it on one night and we were really pleased with it too.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011

Agree with this. One thing I’d add: get rid of the gratuitous language. Not everybody is dropping F-bombs all the time. It doesn’t add anything. In fact it makes the show less enjoyable to watch.

Reactions: jsimpson

MacNeb

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
Nebraska
My wife and I weren't sure how good TMS was going to be but we are both glad we tuned it in. Billy's character is by far our favorite. He plays the part brilliantly and, as others before me noted, he commands any scene he is in.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010

Just goes to show how subjective reviewing or liking/disliking a show/movie is as Aniston is by far the weak link in the show, she can't act, at all. Reece is stellar and with Crudup and Duplass, this show has become one of my favs.

• Angry

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
‘The Morning show’ aside, Billy Crudup is a stand-out actor in all his performances. He has a very natural aura to him that doesn’t present he’s ‘acting’. I don’t say this about every actor, he is good in every piece he participates in.

SantaFeNM

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
Santa Fe, NM
Really solid, enjoyable show. As others have said, Crudup is fantastic. My only, small quibble, with the show is the opening credits. I find them immensely mundane to the point of irritating and they feel LONG.