The Most Interesting Products We Saw at CES 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2018.

1. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Yes, it should, though I now appreciate the mental picture of a 16 mile radius. Thanks for the heads up, it's been corrected :)

2. paulcons macrumors member

paulcons

Did we hear that APFS will now work on RAID arrays that are boot volumes? Or on Fusion drives?

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Most “Weird” thing I saw at CES. At least it made me pause for more than a few seconds. Yes it is exactly what you think it is. “Exercise” partner. And yes, there was a model for the ladies as well.

Attached Files:

4. lazard macrumors 68000

It's modular...Samsung could have displayed The Wall as a 300" tv if it wanted to.

5. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502

Deacon-Blues

Please Apple, license the in-screen fingerprint technology from Synaptics, or buy Synaptics, and put it in the next iPhone X.

6. glindon macrumors regular

glindon

You are not missing anything. :p

7. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

8. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Sweet Jeebus no! Apple doesn't need to buy Synaptics. They'd only ensure the tech couldn't be used elsewhere. Not good.

9. sinoka56 macrumors regular

You can look at a screen at an angle ;)

10. gaximus macrumors 6502a

The wall being 146" is only about 6 foot tall, the average wall is 8' tall, so doesn't really replace a project yet. Also curious how this would compare, price wise, with a 4k projector?

11. rafark, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Yeah, that's what I meant.

12. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

I can’t wait until someone hacks an under-screen fingerprint sensor with a simple printout of your fingerprint (not a more complex mold).

13. Soccertess macrumors 65816

CES was good this year, I had fun. Played with some great phones too. Apple Iphone x screen is really just in the middle of the pack, except with a heft price tag. For the iphone 8 to still have benzels is quite humorous.

I can see why iphones only dominate in north america, and everywhere else andriods are kicking butt.

The Matebook x (which has been out for a while) was fun to finally play with. it's a macbook clone unfortunately but with an extra USB-C port. Really needs a micro SD though.

14. ronno macrumors regular

With Face ID you have to either stand up and hover your head directly over the table, or pick the phone up. It’s not convenient.
    There are plenty of times with Touch ID phones resting on a table when you can just press the button to see notifications or what not. Now you have to either pick it up, or stand up and look directly down at the desk like a goofball because unfortunately face ID does not work at obtuse angles.

15. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Why can't you wait for that to happen? Is that some type of "just want to see the world burn" type of thing?

16. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Regarding home robots, it's starting to become more apparent how they'll fit in our homes now that Amazon Alexa and Google Home have shown the way. Build that into something like Jibo but that can get around your home and we're starting to get to the future where there's a robot in every home. Add humanoid features that enable it to carry things and perform tasks like fetching a drink or folding the laundry and we're really on to something.

17. subjonas macrumors 65816

I think those little robots with lcd faces are the next step for home assistants.

Ping pong robot was impressive. I want to challenge it.

I want that wall. It could be so many things when I’m not watching media, like a fireplace with picture frames on the mantle that cycle through my photo library and maybe a window that shows the weather and time. Or live view my outside cameras. Then it turns into a huge movie screen when I play something. What will it cost though, $30,000 usd?

Fingerprint sensor under screen is neat but I prefer a button I can feel. I’m not really a fan of bezelless anyway.

I dig electric transportation. Right now I’m especially intrigued by personal transportation like the folding scooter. I wonder how fast it goes though.

18. scoobydoo99 macrumors 6502a

I was thinking "1984". An always-on feed direct to the NSA.

19. bobenhaus macrumors 6502a

Apple did good this year at CES 2018 but I think Google is going to kill it with their Google assistance line with over 1500 products in the works . We will have to see but the I think the writing is on the wall for the foreseeable future

20. scoobydoo99 macrumors 6502a

Why would the FAA need to approve a scooter (unless it flies)? They don't have jurisdiction over personal ground transportation devices.

21. KiwiAdventure Suspended

Almost all of this staff shown is garbage or for children.

22. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

No, just exposing an inferior system. It will show Apple was right to give up on under-screen sensors for FaceID.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    It flies if you bring it on an airliner :)

The FAA bans devices (such as hoverboards and scooters) with more than 160 Watt hour batteries. That’s likely what they’re referring to.

24. audiomatt macrumors newbie

25. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

3 laws safe, eh? ;)

Never in my home. The cats already freak out over the roomba, let alone jibo or that creepy humanoid one.