Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Does the shake your finger to find your cursor feature work for anyone? I feel like you have to do it so fast that it's just useless.

Reactions: teezy and MacMan988

Queen6

macrumors G4
Unless you have poor or limited vision, it`s just pointless feature and should be off by default, equally for those that need the feature it should be easy to activate. To me it`s an accessibility feature, not a primary improvement, yet it was prime time on the Keynote, starting to think Apple is simply running out of good ideas for OS X...

Q-6

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Does the shake your finger to find your cursor feature work for anyone? I feel like you have to do it so fast that it's just useless.

You can thank the people who complained in early beta who said it was too easy to activate. Apple reduced the sensitivity, and then in a later build even added the option to disable it. But they never returned the sensitivity back that they reduced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You can thank the people who complained in early beta who said it was too easy to activate. Apple reduced the sensitivity, and then in a later build even added the option to disable it. But they never returned the sensitivity back that they reduced.

Because it was too sensitive. If your pointer speed was set at a certain multiplier it would activate the feature just by moving the cursor. When a feature interferes with normal operation then it doesn’t work well.

Works fine for me, although I have disabled it. You just need to shake your mouse quickly, just practice it for a few minutes.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It works fine for me and I use it occasionally. I actually wished for a feature like this for a long time :D To activate it, move the cursor in a quick circular motion.

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
This doesn't even work me and I can't figure out why. Its on. I found the setting. Doesn't matter how fast I shake magic mouse the pointer does not grow in size. Can't imagine I would use it much but I was excited to shake my mouse and see it happen. lol. Call me weird. I just was. =[

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
THAT IS A FEATURE???? lol I just sent a bug report to Apple because I got so f***n annoyed by the huge cursor I sometimes got. How can I deactivate this??

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
It is almost frightening when you read the things that people think are worth posting. Like, I can't even imagine having this THOUGHT, let alone having it, letting it bother me, and then going on the internet to tell others about it.

It scares me. It really does.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
THAT IS A FEATURE???? lol I just sent a bug report to Apple because I got so f***n annoyed by the huge cursor I sometimes got. How can I deactivate this??

So that's what that was. I thought I was a little too tired when I saw that last night.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Did not know about that feature but now that I tried it works great. It just makes the cursor about ten times bigger,

Wheelie4

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
NC, USA
It's not necessarily useless. Some people are visually impaired and this feature comes in very handy for them. If you don't need it nobody is forcing you to use it. It's there for those who need it or that could use it. It's an option. If you don't see the need for don't use it. But at least is there for those who could benefit from it. :)

Reactions: crjackson2134

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Unless you have poor or limited vision, it`s just pointless feature and should be off by default...
Some people are visually impaired and this feature comes in very handy for them.
I think you guys are misunderstanding the feature here. This is about shaking the mouse/finger on trackpad to make the cursor grow. This is not the feature to make the cursor bigger in general (you can find them both in the accessibility options). The latter one is for people who are visually impaired, the former is for everyone.

The only reason why we have this feature is because a lot of people lose track of the cursor. Either because they use a multidisplay setup, a huge display, are distracted or any combination of those. It is an easier and quicker method than scanning the entire display(s) to find the cursor. Even with a huge cursor you won't find it. The fact that it 1. moves and 2. changes size is what makes people notice it, not the fact that it is big.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I use 2 27" screens. While I don't usually lose the normal cursor, it's quite easy to lose the text insertion cursor, as it's "wafer thin" and hard to see overall.

So, not a useless feature at all.

Wheelie4

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
NC, USA
I think you guys are misunderstanding the feature here. This is about shaking the mouse/finger on trackpad to make the cursor grow. This is not the feature to make the cursor bigger in general (you can find them both in the accessibility options). The latter one is for people who are visually impaired, the former is for everyone.

The only reason why we have this feature is because a lot of people lose track of the cursor. Either because they use a multidisplay setup, a huge display, are distracted or any combination of those. It is an easier and quicker method than scanning the entire display(s) to find the cursor. Even with a huge cursor you won't find it. The fact that it 1. moves and 2. changes size is what makes people notice it, not the fact that it is big.

I knew it does not make the pointer bigger. I'm aware that in system preferences under accessibility there is a feature to enlarge the pointer. I'm aware it is just too quickly find location of the pointer. And by the way it works for me but I don't use it because I don't need. I normally don't have a problem finding the pointer. :)

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Me neither. I use a Wacom tablet so all I have to do is tap the pen somewhere I expect the cursor to be :)

Reactions: Wheelie4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.