The "My friend is getting a G6 Mac" Stories

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GimmeSlack12, Jun 8, 2007.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

They still happen every once in a while. I am at a persons house and I comment that they use a Mac and then I ask if the Mac Tower is a mac pro or a G5. They answer G5.

Then someone else in the room continues on to say that their cousin is about to get a G6, in which I politely say "There is no G6". In which that person rebuts I'm wrong and I just give up.

Ok technically the G is for 'generation' and the Intel's could be called a G6, but the fact that any non-Mac users knows this small fact leads me straight to the "you really don't know what you're talking about" thought.

Anyone else?

2. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Yeah I've heard people talking about their G5 Mac Pros. And someone else mentioning he likes the new G5 mac laptops, and wants to get one.

3. thekorksta macrumors newbie

call it what you like.

Ive never heard anyone call an intel mac a G6, Its a little bit weird. The G prefix as I understand it was purley for marketing purposes, as the G3 and G4 were made by different companies, unlike say the pentium marketing scheme. I suppose Apple had to come up with some cool name as 750 or motorolas 74XX didnt quite pack the punch (in terms of name) of Intels srong marketing at the time.
    I might start call my macbook pro a G6 just because I spent so long waiting for G5 laptop that never came. When the fans kick in on this baby it sounds like there is a V8 under the hood.
    I think they should get really cheesy with the names now and go for things like XL5000 and AF900 ( awesomely fast), would anyone like to offer some new names on CPU's.

Pismo G3

4. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I fought with an Apple Store employee for over 30 minutes once about whether or not the new Intel iMacs were referred to as iMac G5. She was quite insistent... even after I showed her the iMac's webpage. :rolleyes:

5. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

right at the intel transition i had a disscussion i had to walk away from.

my friend had inside information from the apple store in NYC (pre-5th ave), about the upcoming G6. i said nah they're going intel now. stupidity insued.

hmpf :rolleyes:

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The "Gx" isn't strictly marketing - it refers to the generations of PowerPC processors. G1 was the 601 and (not used by Apple) 602. G2 was the 603 and 604 (and the e variety of each), though neither G1 nor G2 was ever used. G3 was the 750, G4 was the 7400-series. The G5 was originally slated to be the 8500, but Motorola rescaled that processor to be embedded, and the IBM 970 took its place. It's inappropriate to call any Intel processor "G6" or any other G number for that matter.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Hmm misread your post. My mistake.

8. p0intblank macrumors 68030

This actually just happened two weeks ago at my graduation party. My friend asked when the "Power Mac G6" was coming out; so I politely explained the Intel transition and that the "G" series is dead. She understood right away since she doesn't really know much about computer hardware.

9. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

I remember someone offering me a brand new Intel Pentium 5 laptop for half price in 2003. What an idiot and a thief he is. :mad:

10. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

This happens a lot in my life I must admit.

11. CyberPrey macrumors regular

Oh yeah...

Best thing was I showed a co-worker a pic of the inside of my pro... He then started to argue that "apple was lying to the public" and "ripping us off"... I asked why...

His answer??

They say it is a 4 and 8 core system, but there is only 2 CPU's....

12. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

LYING SCURVY DOGS!!

13. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Your Avatar is so good.
    I've owned an 020 a G2 a G3 a G4 and an iBook. Anyone jealous?

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

My friend looked at my computer, (Intel Core 2 Duo) and was like, "Cool, but what is it... a G what?" I just sighed, and informed him that the G phase in iMacs ended a more than a year and a half ago. He was like "No because my friend bought a new G something last month". I just gave up right there, not worth it to embarass him further :eek:

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Not really....Apple started with G3, and this was NOT the Third Generation Apple Computers....I think it was the 3rd Generation of PowerPC chips, I'm not sure.

I do know that G6 when talking about Intel Chips wouldn't work, because the G in G3/4/5 isn't talking about Macs, but is talking about PowerPC chips.

Edit- Someone already said that in this read, and I didn't read, sorry

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think your friend was dropped on his head too many times as a baby.

Feel sorry for him, and then quickly put some distance between you and him. :p

17. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

It is based on Motorola/IBM PowerPC Chips.

G1 = 601
    G2 = 603's & 604's
    G3 = G3 Chips
    G4 = G4 Chips
    G5 = G5 Chips

18. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

Um, folks, there are actually G6 chips. IBM is using them for their own server lines. You're right that they will never be in a Mac, but they do exist. The Power architecture isn't dead, it just doesn't live around here anymore.

19. aquajet macrumors 68020

Was there ever any internal designation within Apple? Or is this just something that a bunch of people on the internet thought up because it made sense?

20. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You're no fun. And reading the OP again I am not talking about the physical chip but the Mac.

21. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Anyone ever find it ironic that Apple, mega hater of International Big Brother Machines (IBM):rolleyes: , eventually associated with them, and used their processors in their machines?

I always found that funny.

22. Shagrat macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

and, after the "toasted" Intel Pentiums, the current use of Intel chips....

Guess it's always a bit silly dissing someone else, 'cause sooner or later, you seem to end up using their parts, etc...

Hubris anyone?

23. Shagrat macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

and, after the "toasted" Intel Pentiums, the current use of Intel chips....

Guess it's always a bit silly dissing someone else, 'cause sooner or later, you seem to end up using their parts, etc...

Hubris anyone?

24. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

How about current line-up;
    Intel Core2Duo = Cringetel

25. Mundy macrumors regular

Doubtful.

More likely that it "ensued"...