The "My Macbook is great, I don't need a new one!" thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clindner, Feb 10, 2010.

1. clindner macrumors regular

I've had a white Macbook Santa Rosa for over 2 years now, and it is awesome. Beats the pants off of any Windows based laptop I've used, including more expensive IBM/Lenovo-based Thinkpad products.

When the new product lines do come out, I'll take a look at them, but I surely don't suddenly need something new just for the heck of it.

2. cjrulli macrumors regular

Good for you, not me. =)

Haha but seriously, I have a problem.

3. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

4. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I'm not horrible about being latest-and-greatest-minded, but I'm not great at it either. If it's in reach, I'll bite most of the time. Having said that, I'm very, VERY happy with my late-'08 refurb 15" 2.53ghz. I'm probably not going to replace it until it becomes a necessity. I'm thinking 3 years or so worth of usage. hehe.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And you sir, are more mature than most of the posters on MacRumors.

6. iSax1234 macrumors regular

Not necessarily, just he has more control of his impulse buying skills, especially when it comes to beautiful new computers :D

7. Falk3r macrumors newbie

Falk3r

The "I cradle my C2D MBP and rock back and forth repeating 'it'll be ok, this one is fine' " thread?

8. St.Jimmy! macrumors newbie

Hahahahahahah yeah sounds just right! :D

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

How about, "The people who have more sense than money," thread

10. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Power wise my MBP is fine. But if the new one comes with features like a resolution BUMP for the 15 inch model I might consider replacing it. Otherwise I won't change it for a couple of years. With 4gb DIMM prices falling and SSD's becoming cheaper and larger there are other ways to increase performance.

11. AndyCodez macrumors regular

I got my macbook White about a year ago and loved every minute of it. I did how ever upgrade 2gig ram to 4gig for 45 bucks, and plan on upgrading the 120 gig hd to at least 500gig. (Running out of space quick lol) I used to play wow on it and it ran great for the most part, and currently I do quite a bit of iPhone development on it (runs great). I love the 13" screen for when ever i'm not at my desk. I do want a 30" for my desk :D make me much more efficient.

I would like to have a Mac Pro, not a need just one of the many wants i have lol. I feel i got value for 999 :D

12. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

This is what Apple gets for making a product that doesn't break

windoze laptop computers have a lifespan of a around a year.

break more often = need to buy new one all the time = more profit for companies.

this post is a *joke* so don't piss yourselves please.

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I agree....but I want one! My pre unibody 2.4 MBP is holding up well. Biggest complaint are some top case scuffs.

I would buy a new one but I am under apple care warranty for another year and a half, so no reason to.

14. YoHo macrumors newbie

15. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I love my 13" MBP. I could use this Mac (still need to make a RAM upgrade, though) for years!

Habitus :apple:

16. MacintoshMan macrumors regular

Non-Unibody MacBook Pro's are the best. I feel bad for people with the ****** Unibody design w/out the new i5/i7 chip.

17. hypermog macrumors regular

18. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

I love my MacBook Pro; there's no way I'm replacing this machine for a good while unless I absolutely need to or if the i5's make into the 13" which I know ain't gonna happen.

19. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Thank you. I've had a crummy day and this made me laugh! :)

20. sth macrumors 6502a

Being realistic:
    My 15" late '06 C2D MBP still feels fast. The limiting factor in most applications is the HDD. Put a SSD in that thing and it will absolutely fly.

It has served me well in all those years. It's my main workhorse and gets carried around almost daily but despite that, it still looks almost as good as new. It wasn't quite trouble-free - it's on it's third battery (all replaced by AppleCare) and actually broke down last october but my local AASP had it fixed in less than 24hours and all is well now.

But it's time for a new one and here are the reasons why:
    - Screen resolution (I'll probably switch to a 17" model)
    - Screen quality (the current displays are much better)
    - Battery life (again, much better)

21. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Well some of us want that extra power instead of buying a current model which would be more expansive, instead a lower end new one which is the same or faster

22. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I'm with you! I love my current gen 13" MBP and could really care less about updates. Sure I'd like an i5 in here, but everything else is fine. I wont care about new macs until they get SATA 6gb and USB3/FW1600/3200/lightpeak/etc

23. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

2008 MBP here. It's not going anywhere for a long time unless some unforeseen, catastrophic event takes place. :D

24. crhudy1985 macrumors regular

I wish I had the impulse control the OP has but unfortunately it seems computers (and its many accessories) is my achilles heel. I have no problem holding off on that kitchen table I have done without for over two years. The coffee table works fine.

You might want to start looking for the wood to knock on. :D

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

same for me and my first gen mb