"The Myth of Slow PS3 sales"

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by fiercetiger224, Aug 25, 2009.

1. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Great article posted over at IGN boards:

Link

Posted the whole article just in case you didn't want to go directly to the page. ;)

Interesting read. What is rather interesting is that Sony sold MORE in its first two years than the 360 did in the same time period at a significantly higher pricepoint. Too bad the person doesn't mention too much about the Wii, since it kicks both the PS3 and 360 in sales, even with the 360s year lead. :p

I do give credit for MS debunking Sony's branding for the past couple of years. But how will they do it with the PS3's "rebranding" with a $299 pricepoint? Surely enough, they've got a pseudo pricecut for the 360, but it's only a SKU reshuffling, and not really a pricecut. And how many people do you know that want an Elite? I don't know any. To me, it's just a 360 Pro with a bigger hard drive. :p

I think Sony's now got the upper hand in this round, especially pointing to value and what you get for your money.

2. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Hmm... Is till think its out of a 360 and a Wii for me.

3. DolsJ macrumors member

Interesting read, they are all 3 good consoles with strengths in different areas regardless of who sold how many how fast the PS3 still has roughly 6 million units to sell to catch up to Microsoft and neither have a chance of catching Nintendo.

Personally I have yet to pick up a PS3 as the higher price point was a major hold up. I am considering now that they have a $299 entry point.

One thing any game can be happy about is that the console life cycle this time around seems to be considerably extended.

4. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Remember, everyone was complaining that the PS3 had no games. But it still outsold the 360 in its first two years? What's wrong with that picture? :confused:

Now you have no excuse! Plenty of awesome exclusives for the PS3. Plus Blu-ray! I was really hoping that MS would release a 360 with a Blu-ray player. That would have definitely made things more interesting. Oh well, let's see how MS's move works out... :rolleyes:

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Xbox control pad blows. Never liked it, Sony's has been superb.

Great reading btw, I was under the impression the PS3 was a failure too going by casual reading over the past couple of years..

6. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah me too haha. But then again, I don't trust the media too much... :rolleyes:

Either MS slipped some money to the media, or maybe there's just massive fanboys in the media. I say both. :D

I like both the 360 pad and the PS3 pad. Both have it's ups and downs. As for my overall choice, I'd pick the PS3 pad, since I can play just about any game on the pad without feeling discomfort. It's ergonomics suits pretty much any game out there. You know, like Street Fighter and such. ;)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That article takes into account North America only. Not Europe. ;)

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

That's where I'm at with the control pad issue.. right there :p

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thought I was the only one noticing...the constant "PS3 iz deh doom" articles and how the PS3 hasn't done much when in actuality they(PS3) sold more than the 360 in its first two years on the market but yet its "struggling" to compete..damn the machine was selling at $600. I've notice the media picks at the PS3 for anything and blows it way out of proportion and everyone just run with the tripe that spews out of these "journalist" mouths.

It cool to hate the PS3 these days and its sad that gaming has come to "picking sides and fighting to the death"

Theres a lesson in that article....

Bless

10. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha true dat. The 360 pad SUCKS for Street Fighter. The end. :D

Exactly! How is the media going to spin the PS3 now that it's at $299? :rolleyes:

Now that it's selling like hotcakes, every 360 fanboy seems to make every excuse possible to justify that the 360 is still a better value. Everyone likes what they like, why can't you "xbots" just leave everyone alone? Why does there always have to be sides? I like games from every console, is that too much to ask for? Why do I have to pick YOUR console? :p

11. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

I have all three consoles, and the ps3 is the best by far. Its quiet, it rarely crashes like a 360, and its a blu-ray player at tye same time!

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Christ above, didn't we all kind of get past this stage a long time ago?

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lots of talk about fanboys from you.......

14. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I have not owned a PS3, but I was a PS2 owner (donated it to motor pool depot in Iraq once I picked up the Xbox 360) but I would say I love the xbox control pad much better than the PS 2 dualshock. (I think the ps 3 is almost the same.) My hands would cramp up on the ps2, while they don't on the xbox 360 pad.

I do wish they would give up that d pad and just go with 4 more buttons, I really can't think of a game I have played where I would prefer a d-pad to an analog stick anyway. (I don't really play fighters, I think that is the only big genre for d-pad fans.)

Now both the Xbox 360 & PS 3 have good games. I really think the lack of a bluray addon going to start hurting Microsoft, now that the elite Xbox & PS3 are the same price. While the netflix player is a good feature, it can't compete to bluray movie capability.

Maybe we will se an upgraded drive to bluray (and a general console redesign) with Natal's release.

I think the next big war will be between Natal and Sony's motion control system.

15. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, and PS3 fanboys will talk about how much value you get for your damn money. And they may be correct. :p

Wii fanboys will tell you that they have games like no other. Oh and Nintendo games too. Which is true. ;)

It's fun to make fun of them! Why can't gamers just get along? Why does there have to be fighting over which is better? :rolleyes:

There's fun exclusives to be had on all consoles, so everyone should just buy them all.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So then why keep making these threads? Everyone and their dog knows the PS3 is doing good now.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm a Wii fanboy, but I'm glad the other guys are out there and doing some things right. I just had no interest in paying the $400+ for those consoles when I got a Wii at launch.

My main issue with "the others" is the bottom 1 percent of the online food chain who just go onto message boards and trash the Wii because of its lesser guts. No sane person will tell you that Wii games look better than the 360 or PS3, but to say they look like crap is like trashing DVD quality next to Blu-ray. DVD isn't as good, but it's hardly crap. If you don't believe me, find a VHS tape and watch it.

But what I'm more pissed off about is EA Sports. They did a darn good job with Tiger Woods golf for the past three years, but they totally took a crap on the NCAA Football franchise in 09 and apparently did the same this year with Madden. EA has the exclusive NCAA and NFL licenses, so these are the only "real" football games you can get your hands on. They took the lesser Wii graphics as an excuse to make ultra-cartoony games that are an insult to people who made it past kindergarten.

Why EA has to put these $50 pieces of crapware out with the NCAA Football name instead of rolling out some new kiddie franchise for them is beyond me. Guitar Hero and Rock Band have managed to not piss all over the Wii crowd by making almost identical games to the PS3/360, just without the HD graphics. But EA keeps getting worse with what a lot of gamers consider the gold standard of games.

I know this has little to do with PS3 sales, but it's always a touchy subject. I don't think any of these three systems are doing badly, but it gets annoying having the top-selling system and getting handed crappy games.

18. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel ya. I love my Wii, I just wish they would make some games for it! Nintendo's slackin' now too. I mean c'mon, Metroid with Team Ninja? If they make it like Ninja Gaiden, I'm going to be PISSED. The art direction looks horrible, and nothing like what Retro has done with the Prime series.

As for EA, yes, they've been getting worse and worse. All the crapware they put out every year is pissing me off. What happened to their good games? SSX, classic Need For Speed Underground, etc? Peter Moore needs to get a brain, and start makin' his company work!

And I still don't understand why people have to keep talking about the Wii's graphics. I mean c'mon, everyone KNOWS that it's not HD. People who are buying it, either knows what they're getting (most likely for Nintendo games), or they're just casual gamers who could care less about HD gaming. Everytime I go to a gaming forum, it seems like Xbox fanboys love to bash the most, and Wii/PS3 owners defend. I mean who cares now? The Wii is kicking everyone's butts! And now the PS3 is starting to kick the 360s' butts! So what are the Xbots gonna do now? Bash the 360 and get a Wii/PS3 now? :rolleyes:

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm mildly regretting not getting a PS3 for my second BD player because I would love to have one or two decent darn sports games to play. The controls would probably be "ancient" and not as fun as actual passing motions, but the gameplay doesn't totally stink. I'm quite content with my $350 BD player with wireless and Netflix streaming, not to mention the low power usage, but it would be tempting now at $299.

I think I should start a Facebook group called "Wii owners are not all grandmas and preschoolers." Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are great, for a bit. But it's like Nintendo showed everybody the blueprint and EA used it as toilet paper. Konami made an excellent soccer game sans-MLS license with PES, so I'm betting if the NFL and NCAA would get rid of the exclusives with EA, we might get some decent football games.

20. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

But I ask this question again, is Blu Ray REALLY that important?

I not ready and quite honestly I dont want to repurchase my dvd collection to have duplicate BluRay copies... plus the difference in playback isnt that significant to me.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Blu-Ray is doing well, but IMHO I certainly don't think it has a chance of ever being as big as DVD and I still hold the belief that it is merely a interim technology, and digital delivery via set-top-box/console or similar will be the next major technology to replace DVD / Optical movies.

Sony / Microsoft with NetFlix and Apple TV have all followed similar paths in video content delivery. BBC iPlayer & TV OnDemand services all prove that this is an area that broadcasters clearly see as the next move also.

Like it or not, digital delivery will be the future. It promises the benefit of easy to access, cheaper delivery. But it also limits and constricts consumers with licensing / drm & such which ALL the industries (movie/ entertainment / music) see as a great way to combat piracy.

I'd be surprised if Xbox Next and PS4 had an optical bay at all.

Were already getting used to computers without optical drives, and software companies all seemingly moving towards cloud computing / distribution also.

It just seems an inevitable conclusion.

22. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Everyone keeps saying that. Yet how many users of PS3/360 don't hook their system up online? It's over 40% isn't it? Imagine trying to persuade them to do it, then download full games onto the system? PSP Go is gonna have a time dealing with this, but it's selling to the "elite" gamers who realize the upside of digital distribution. I agree that disc copies are going to die out, but the new systems are in a few years, will general consumers be ready for digital only?

23. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

I personally like the Xbox a lot more than the Playstation.

24. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Blue Ray discs are really pricey in the UK. I like having new kit around, but I think in our household a BR player in the form of a PS3 or otherwise would go to waste. I wouldn't consider the BR player when buying a console because of that really. Just the games..

25. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The point is, you don't have to repurchase your DVD collection. It's YOUR choice to buy whatever you want. I've recently started selling off my older DVDs, and repurchasing Bluray versions. I'm a purest, so I demand the best quality. Either that or you can purchase Bluray movies from hereon and forward. So newer movies you have will be on Bluray, and you'll have your older DVD collection laying around.

I think Sony is going to make Bluray big with the PS3. Just like how they made DVD big in Japan with the PS2 when it first came out.

As for everyone thinking digital downloads will be the future, don't buy into it. We lose our rights as consumers! If you buy physical media, at least you can sell it! You can't sell digital downloads! This is the ONE thing that people don't think about when they're purchasing digital downloads. I told many friends about it that used to purchase from iTunes, and they stopped after thinking about that. :p

Besides, what if you wanted to take a movie or game to a friend's house? You can't do that with a digital download can you? Well you can, but not without some kind of hassle...The quality isn't as great either.