Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Great article posted over at IGN boards:

Link

Posted the whole article just in case you didn't want to go directly to the page. ;)

With Sony’s recent announcement of a revamped and cheaper PS3 model, many technology writers and video game industry journalists have taken this opportunity to examine the potential impact of Sony’s latest Playstation iteration on the gaming industry. The Financial Times wrote in an article published Aug 19th under their technology section “The high-spec – and high-price – PS3 has struggled against competitors. It has sold 24m units, compared with about 30m Microsoft Xbox360s and 50m-plus Nintendo Wiis.”

This is a lie.

While there is no denying the success Nintendo has had this console generation with their Wii games console, the false notion that Sony’s Playstation 3 console is somehow struggling against its main competitor, Microsoft’s Xbox 360, is parroted over and over again in the writings of the US dominated game media. This idea that somehow the PS3 is struggling versus the Xbox 360 is not only incorrect, but it’s so easily dispelled by a liberal dosing of sales data that it makes one wonder if members of the games media have any business writing about the videogame industry at all when their ability to fact check is so obviously in question. Since the PS3’s worldwide launch at the start of 2007, data released from both Microsoft and Sony prove that the PS3 has outsold the Xbox 360 in the 2 ½ years since it’s launch by over a million consoles.

According to Sony and Microsoft sales data released each quarter, the Microsoft 360 managed to build an 8.6 million console lead before the Playstation 3 launched worldwide in early 2007.

For the calendar year 2007, the PS3 dominated the 360 selling 8.85 million consoles to the 360’s 7.3 million.

In 2008 the PS3’s dominance continued over the 360 for the first 3 quarters, outselling the 360 by a hefty 6.32 million consoles to 4.8 million consoles. In September of 2008, Microsoft drastically slashed the price of the 360 making their 360 Arcade offering the cheapest next gen console on the market and sparking a sales comeback over the holiday season during a period of slowing consumer spending due to the pressures related to worldwide recession. 2008 ended in a dead heat, 10.78 million PS3’s to 10.8 million 360’s.

So far for the first half of 2009 consumer spending has remained slow however the PS3 has still managed to stay neck and neck with the 360 despite being double the price. 2.71 million PS3’s sold versus 2.9 million 360’s, a difference of only 190,000 and with a recent price cut and new PS3 Slim set to shake things up leading into the 2009 holiday season, certainly this does not paint the picture of a console struggling to keep up with its rival who just posted their worst sales quarter in 2 years.

So how can so many in the games media be completely oblivious when it comes to these facts? Simply enter a search into Google for “slow PS3 sales” and you’ll find a flood of hand wringing regarding the PS3’s slow start, slowing PS3 sales growth, the prospect of Sony ditching the PS3 altogether and a parade of “Why the Playstation is Doomed,” articles.

Now, repeat the Google experiment with “slow Xbox 360 sales.” The difference is astounding. Despite the odd article regarding the 360’s inability to crack the Japanese markets, the outsold Xbox 360 simply isn’t under the same media scrutiny. From Kotaku’s “Sony Responds to Reports of Lethargic PS3 Sales” type articles to Play.tm reporting on “PS3 Hardware sales still slow,” article after article exists, examining Sony’s imagined plight while Sony themselves, when asked to comment on slow sales continue to denounce the idea that there is anything wrong in the first place. Meanwhile it becomes abundantly clear looking at the 360 sales numbers that if any console has struggled to remain competitive, it’s Microsoft’s faulty hardware plagued Xbox 360.

One could possibly forgive this type of negative journalism if critical articles were equal across the board, but that’s simply not the case. Despite the 360 being matched and outsold since the PS3 launched, nowhere will you find articles examining slow Xbox 360 sales. CNET isn’t writing articles speculating on ways that Microsoft can save the Xbox 360. ABC news isn’t reporting on how Natal could potentially boost slumping 360 sales. Forbes and the Financial Times aren’t writing articles about how the 360 is struggling to keep up since the PS3 launched.

So, why is that?

It might simply be a matter of demographics. This current generation, Nintendo’s Wii has dominated, but let’s look at the Wii’s demographics. It’s comes as no surprise to those that follow the industry that gamers who play on the Wii aren’t what is typically described as “hardcore” gamers. According to data revealed at last years Electronic Gaming Summit, the majority of Wii owners play between 1-2 hours a week. Game sales show games aimed at the “hardcore” game market on the Wii tend to perform poorly and that’s a problem for gaming media as it’s the hardcore gamers that buy magazines and surf online for the latest game information. Your average Wii owner who plays Wii Sports and might own Sonic and Mario Olympics or Wii Fit isn’t surfing the internet for the latest game information. They simply aren’t picking up games magazines looking for info on the next Wii Fit titles, so there’s no money to be made there.

So next up is the 360 crowd who still outnumber PS3 owners due to the 360 launching a year earlier than the PS3. Not only do 360 owners outnumber PS3 owners, but 60% of 360’s sold worldwide are sold in the US, home to the majority of the worlds videogame meida outlets. 360 fans love their Halo, can’t get enough information regarding the next Gears of War. They flood internet games sites and snatch up copies of their favorite games magazines that offer new glimpses of soon to be released titles that appeal to them. There are also, like sports fans, often very loyal to their team and the game media knows this. Not only do articles that offer insight into their favorite games attract attention but negative articles critical of the other teams draw attention as well. So far 360 fans have simply outnumbered PS3 owners, and a game media eager to draw eyeballs to their websites and advertisers have been quick to give them what they want, and they want the scent of their enemies blood.

So, using the old adage “If it bleeds, it leads,” game media has been quick to pick up and perpetuate the false fall of the Playstation 3. It’s what the readers seem to want and many games site seem unwilling to let a little thing like facts stop them from writing another speculative piece on “Why the PS3 is failing.” But what will happen to a games media that has become fat off 360 fans when the 360 starts its inevitable decline? What will happen if Sony fans are suddenly in the driver’s seat as their number swell? Will the game media be quick to hop off the 360 bandwagon and toast the 360’s demise to the delight of Sony’s PS3 fans, will they continue to bash Sony’s offering with complete disregard for the facts of the videogame biz or will they revert back to the days when the games media reported on actual news without corporate bias or pandering to one specific audience?

Personally, this author hopes it’s the latter.

Interesting read. What is rather interesting is that Sony sold MORE in its first two years than the 360 did in the same time period at a significantly higher pricepoint. Too bad the person doesn't mention too much about the Wii, since it kicks both the PS3 and 360 in sales, even with the 360s year lead. :p

I do give credit for MS debunking Sony's branding for the past couple of years. But how will they do it with the PS3's "rebranding" with a $299 pricepoint? Surely enough, they've got a pseudo pricecut for the 360, but it's only a SKU reshuffling, and not really a pricecut. And how many people do you know that want an Elite? I don't know any. To me, it's just a 360 Pro with a bigger hard drive. :p

I think Sony's now got the upper hand in this round, especially pointing to value and what you get for your money.

DolsJ

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Interesting read, they are all 3 good consoles with strengths in different areas regardless of who sold how many how fast the PS3 still has roughly 6 million units to sell to catch up to Microsoft and neither have a chance of catching Nintendo.

Personally I have yet to pick up a PS3 as the higher price point was a major hold up. I am considering now that they have a $299 entry point.

One thing any game can be happy about is that the console life cycle this time around seems to be considerably extended.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Remember, everyone was complaining that the PS3 had no games. But it still outsold the 360 in its first two years? What's wrong with that picture? :confused:

Now you have no excuse! Plenty of awesome exclusives for the PS3. Plus Blu-ray! I was really hoping that MS would release a 360 with a Blu-ray player. That would have definitely made things more interesting. Oh well, let's see how MS's move works out... :rolleyes:

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Xbox control pad blows. Never liked it, Sony's has been superb.

Great reading btw, I was under the impression the PS3 was a failure too going by casual reading over the past couple of years..

Yeah me too haha. But then again, I don't trust the media too much... :rolleyes:

Either MS slipped some money to the media, or maybe there's just massive fanboys in the media. I say both. :D

I like both the 360 pad and the PS3 pad. Both have it's ups and downs. As for my overall choice, I'd pick the PS3 pad, since I can play just about any game on the pad without feeling discomfort. It's ergonomics suits pretty much any game out there. You know, like Street Fighter and such. ;)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Thought I was the only one noticing...the constant "PS3 iz deh doom" articles and how the PS3 hasn't done much when in actuality they(PS3) sold more than the 360 in its first two years on the market but yet its "struggling" to compete..damn the machine was selling at $600. I've notice the media picks at the PS3 for anything and blows it way out of proportion and everyone just run with the tripe that spews out of these "journalist" mouths.

It cool to hate the PS3 these days and its sad that gaming has come to "picking sides and fighting to the death"

Theres a lesson in that article....

Bless

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
niuniu said:
That's where I'm at with the control pad issue.. right there :p

Haha true dat. The 360 pad SUCKS for Street Fighter. The end. :D

2nyRiggz said:
Thought I was the only one noticing...the constant "PS3 iz deh doom" articles and how the PS3 hasn't done much when in actuality they(PS3) sold more than the 360 in its first two years on the market but yet its "struggling" to compete..damn the machine was selling at $600. I've notice the media picks at the PS3 for anything and blows it way out of proportion and everyone just run with the tripe that spews out of these "journalist" mouths.

It cool to hate the PS3 these days and its sad that gaming has come to "picking sides and fighting to the death"

Theres a lesson in that article....

Bless

Exactly! How is the media going to spin the PS3 now that it's at $299? :rolleyes:

Now that it's selling like hotcakes, every 360 fanboy seems to make every excuse possible to justify that the 360 is still a better value. Everyone likes what they like, why can't you "xbots" just leave everyone alone? Why does there always have to be sides? I like games from every console, is that too much to ask for? Why do I have to pick YOUR console? :p

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Haha true dat. The 360 pad SUCKS for Street Fighter. The end. :D

Exactly! How is the media going to spin the PS3 now that it's at $299? :rolleyes:

Now that it's selling like hotcakes, every 360 fanboy seems to make every excuse possible to justify that the 360 is still a better value. Everyone likes what they like, why can't you "xbots" just leave everyone alone? Why does there always have to be sides? I like games from every console, is that too much to ask for? Why do I have to pick YOUR console? :p

Lots of talk about fanboys from you.......

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I have not owned a PS3, but I was a PS2 owner (donated it to motor pool depot in Iraq once I picked up the Xbox 360) but I would say I love the xbox control pad much better than the PS 2 dualshock. (I think the ps 3 is almost the same.) My hands would cramp up on the ps2, while they don't on the xbox 360 pad.

I do wish they would give up that d pad and just go with 4 more buttons, I really can't think of a game I have played where I would prefer a d-pad to an analog stick anyway. (I don't really play fighters, I think that is the only big genre for d-pad fans.)

Now both the Xbox 360 & PS 3 have good games. I really think the lack of a bluray addon going to start hurting Microsoft, now that the elite Xbox & PS3 are the same price. While the netflix player is a good feature, it can't compete to bluray movie capability.

Maybe we will se an upgraded drive to bluray (and a general console redesign) with Natal's release.

I think the next big war will be between Natal and Sony's motion control system.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Lots of talk about fanboys from you.......

Yup, and PS3 fanboys will talk about how much value you get for your damn money. And they may be correct. :p

Wii fanboys will tell you that they have games like no other. Oh and Nintendo games too. Which is true. ;)

It's fun to make fun of them! Why can't gamers just get along? Why does there have to be fighting over which is better? :rolleyes:

There's fun exclusives to be had on all consoles, so everyone should just buy them all.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Yup, and PS3 fanboys will talk about how much value you get for your damn money. And they may be correct. :p

Wii fanboys will tell you that they have games like no other. Oh and Nintendo games too. Which is true. ;)

It's fun to make fun of them! Why can't gamers just get along? Why does there have to be fighting over which is better? :rolleyes:

There's fun exclusives to be had on all consoles, so everyone should just buy them all.

I'm a Wii fanboy, but I'm glad the other guys are out there and doing some things right. I just had no interest in paying the $400+ for those consoles when I got a Wii at launch.

My main issue with "the others" is the bottom 1 percent of the online food chain who just go onto message boards and trash the Wii because of its lesser guts. No sane person will tell you that Wii games look better than the 360 or PS3, but to say they look like crap is like trashing DVD quality next to Blu-ray. DVD isn't as good, but it's hardly crap. If you don't believe me, find a VHS tape and watch it.

But what I'm more pissed off about is EA Sports. They did a darn good job with Tiger Woods golf for the past three years, but they totally took a crap on the NCAA Football franchise in 09 and apparently did the same this year with Madden. EA has the exclusive NCAA and NFL licenses, so these are the only "real" football games you can get your hands on. They took the lesser Wii graphics as an excuse to make ultra-cartoony games that are an insult to people who made it past kindergarten.

Why EA has to put these $50 pieces of crapware out with the NCAA Football name instead of rolling out some new kiddie franchise for them is beyond me. Guitar Hero and Rock Band have managed to not piss all over the Wii crowd by making almost identical games to the PS3/360, just without the HD graphics. But EA keeps getting worse with what a lot of gamers consider the gold standard of games.

I know this has little to do with PS3 sales, but it's always a touchy subject. I don't think any of these three systems are doing badly, but it gets annoying having the top-selling system and getting handed crappy games.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
I'm a Wii fanboy, but I'm glad the other guys are out there and doing some things right. I just had no interest in paying the $400+ for those consoles when I got a Wii at launch.

My main issue with "the others" is the bottom 1 percent of the online food chain who just go onto message boards and trash the Wii because of its lesser guts. No sane person will tell you that Wii games look better than the 360 or PS3, but to say they look like crap is like trashing DVD quality next to Blu-ray. DVD isn't as good, but it's hardly crap. If you don't believe me, find a VHS tape and watch it.

But what I'm more pissed off about is EA Sports. They did a darn good job with Tiger Woods golf for the past three years, but they totally took a crap on the NCAA Football franchise in 09 and apparently did the same this year with Madden. EA has the exclusive NCAA and NFL licenses, so these are the only "real" football games you can get your hands on. They took the lesser Wii graphics as an excuse to make ultra-cartoony games that are an insult to people who made it past kindergarten.

Why EA has to put these $50 pieces of crapware out with the NCAA Football name instead of rolling out some new kiddie franchise for them is beyond me. Guitar Hero and Rock Band have managed to not piss all over the Wii crowd by making almost identical games to the PS3/360, just without the HD graphics. But EA keeps getting worse with what a lot of gamers consider the gold standard of games.

I know this has little to do with PS3 sales, but it's always a touchy subject. I don't think any of these three systems are doing badly, but it gets annoying having the top-selling system and getting handed crappy games.

I feel ya. I love my Wii, I just wish they would make some games for it! Nintendo's slackin' now too. I mean c'mon, Metroid with Team Ninja? If they make it like Ninja Gaiden, I'm going to be PISSED. The art direction looks horrible, and nothing like what Retro has done with the Prime series.

As for EA, yes, they've been getting worse and worse. All the crapware they put out every year is pissing me off. What happened to their good games? SSX, classic Need For Speed Underground, etc? Peter Moore needs to get a brain, and start makin' his company work!

And I still don't understand why people have to keep talking about the Wii's graphics. I mean c'mon, everyone KNOWS that it's not HD. People who are buying it, either knows what they're getting (most likely for Nintendo games), or they're just casual gamers who could care less about HD gaming. Everytime I go to a gaming forum, it seems like Xbox fanboys love to bash the most, and Wii/PS3 owners defend. I mean who cares now? The Wii is kicking everyone's butts! And now the PS3 is starting to kick the 360s' butts! So what are the Xbots gonna do now? Bash the 360 and get a Wii/PS3 now? :rolleyes:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm mildly regretting not getting a PS3 for my second BD player because I would love to have one or two decent darn sports games to play. The controls would probably be "ancient" and not as fun as actual passing motions, but the gameplay doesn't totally stink. I'm quite content with my $350 BD player with wireless and Netflix streaming, not to mention the low power usage, but it would be tempting now at $299.

I think I should start a Facebook group called "Wii owners are not all grandmas and preschoolers." Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are great, for a bit. But it's like Nintendo showed everybody the blueprint and EA used it as toilet paper. Konami made an excellent soccer game sans-MLS license with PES, so I'm betting if the NFL and NCAA would get rid of the exclusives with EA, we might get some decent football games.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
But I ask this question again, is Blu Ray REALLY that important?

I not ready and quite honestly I dont want to repurchase my dvd collection to have duplicate BluRay copies... plus the difference in playback isnt that significant to me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Blu-Ray is doing well, but IMHO I certainly don't think it has a chance of ever being as big as DVD and I still hold the belief that it is merely a interim technology, and digital delivery via set-top-box/console or similar will be the next major technology to replace DVD / Optical movies.

Sony / Microsoft with NetFlix and Apple TV have all followed similar paths in video content delivery. BBC iPlayer & TV OnDemand services all prove that this is an area that broadcasters clearly see as the next move also.

Like it or not, digital delivery will be the future. It promises the benefit of easy to access, cheaper delivery. But it also limits and constricts consumers with licensing / drm & such which ALL the industries (movie/ entertainment / music) see as a great way to combat piracy.

I'd be surprised if Xbox Next and PS4 had an optical bay at all.

Were already getting used to computers without optical drives, and software companies all seemingly moving towards cloud computing / distribution also.

It just seems an inevitable conclusion.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Blu-Ray is doing well, but IMHO I certainly don't think it has a chance of ever being as big as DVD and I still hold the belief that it is merely a interim technology, and digital delivery via set-top-box/console or similar will be the next major technology to replace DVD / Optical movies.

Sony / Microsoft with NetFlix and Apple TV have all followed similar paths in video content delivery. BBC iPlayer & TV OnDemand services all prove that this is an area that broadcasters clearly see as the next move also.

Like it or not, digital delivery will be the future. It promises the benefit of easy to access, cheaper delivery. But it also limits and constricts consumers with licensing / drm & such which ALL the industries (movie/ entertainment / music) see as a great way to combat piracy.

I'd be surprised if Xbox Next and PS4 had an optical bay at all.

Were already getting used to computers without optical drives, and software companies all seemingly moving towards cloud computing / distribution also.

It just seems an inevitable conclusion.

Everyone keeps saying that. Yet how many users of PS3/360 don't hook their system up online? It's over 40% isn't it? Imagine trying to persuade them to do it, then download full games onto the system? PSP Go is gonna have a time dealing with this, but it's selling to the "elite" gamers who realize the upside of digital distribution. I agree that disc copies are going to die out, but the new systems are in a few years, will general consumers be ready for digital only?

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Blue Ray discs are really pricey in the UK. I like having new kit around, but I think in our household a BR player in the form of a PS3 or otherwise would go to waste. I wouldn't consider the BR player when buying a console because of that really. Just the games..

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004

I not ready and quite honestly I dont want to repurchase my dvd collection to have duplicate BluRay copies... plus the difference in playback isnt that significant to me.

The point is, you don't have to repurchase your DVD collection. It's YOUR choice to buy whatever you want. I've recently started selling off my older DVDs, and repurchasing Bluray versions. I'm a purest, so I demand the best quality. Either that or you can purchase Bluray movies from hereon and forward. So newer movies you have will be on Bluray, and you'll have your older DVD collection laying around.

I think Sony is going to make Bluray big with the PS3. Just like how they made DVD big in Japan with the PS2 when it first came out.

As for everyone thinking digital downloads will be the future, don't buy into it. We lose our rights as consumers! If you buy physical media, at least you can sell it! You can't sell digital downloads! This is the ONE thing that people don't think about when they're purchasing digital downloads. I told many friends about it that used to purchase from iTunes, and they stopped after thinking about that. :p

Besides, what if you wanted to take a movie or game to a friend's house? You can't do that with a digital download can you? Well you can, but not without some kind of hassle...The quality isn't as great either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.