Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antares

macrumors 68000
As for everyone thinking digital downloads will be the future, don't buy into it. We lose our rights as consumers! If you buy physical media, at least you can sell it! You can't sell digital downloads! This is the ONE thing that people don't think about when they're purchasing digital downloads. I told many friends about it that used to purchase from iTunes, and they stopped after thinking about that. :p

Besides, what if you wanted to take a movie or game to a friend's house? You can't do that with a digital download can you? Well you can, but not without some kind of hassle...The quality isn't as great either.

Here here! I totally agree.

Pure digital downloads and the elimination of optical media are a long way off. People on the foreront of technology often think that because what they use is fast and easy for them, it must be for everyone. If they are using something, everyone else must want to. What they often fail to take into consideration is that they are the minority.

Look at all the problems that occurred with the transition to digital tv (in the USA). That was just a simple matter of buying a converter box and an antenna....but look at all the probelms and hassles that happend. Can you imagine these people trying to handle online digital content? Plus, I'm willing to wager that most people don't have an internet connection anywhere near their tv's (and I also mean a connection near every tv in the house). WiFi? Can you expect all these people to setup and maintain a WiFi network?

Physical media will be around for a long time....lest Average Joe and Slow Mary be left behind.

The PS4 will undoubtedly have Blu-ray....or less likely whatever optical media replaces blu-ray. The article that the OP posted was a nice read.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I personally like the Xbox a lot more than the Playstation.

But what is your reasoning?

Truth be told -- the PS3 is simply a better console as so much can be done with it. It's easily the most powerful and has the most features. The one advantage the 360 has going for it is the game lineup.

If Sony would just get some exclusives going for the PS3, the 360 would be screwed.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's easily the most powerful

That is debatable. A better CPU but poorer GPU has to this point (3 years into it's lifespan) proved otherwise in nearly all direct comparisons.

and has the most features.

Well that isn't in doubt.

The one advantage the 360 has going for it is the game lineup.

And when your'e a games console, that's the one thing that counts above all.

But again that's pretty much down to personal taste on the exclusives side of things. I love banjo, viva pinata etc... but equally love ratchet & clank so for me they're about even.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.