The Naked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MR Bulk, Feb 11, 2013.

1. MR Bulk macrumors regular

I see posts where some say they enjoy or prefer using their iPhone "naked".

I know a public forum is for sharing opinions, facts and personal valuations. But truth be told, I find that holding my bare (2-month old) iPhone 5 in my clean dry hands is a little unnerving. There are really no grippy surfaces and it just feels like the phone will slip and (yikes) fall hard to the floor, mostly tile at my place.

Now when I have some leftover "daily residue" on my hand/s (like at work, you know what I mean) it is a different story, but then I usually try to clean up a little when handling my phone, cased or not.

Not to be insulting to anyone whatsoever but sometimes I do notice different textures, residue and/or "moisture" (clammy palms, sticky hands, etc.) when shaking hands with some people - maybe that's it?

How do you guys, who prefer using the phone naked, do it? I just can't see using our beloved phone this way. :confused::eek::mad:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Doesn't bother me a bit, I used my 4s naked and now my 5
    No problems with no drops... and FWIW, no clammy hands with residue either ;)

3. rperalta macrumors 6502

I enjoy a naked iPhone with front/back and side film protectors. However, it only takes one mistake to damage it. For me, I had my iPhone between my legs while driving then I would get out of the car when I arrive at my location. I see my iPhone bouncing to the cement.

4. MR Bulk thread starter macrumors regular

Ha ha ha ha!!! That is EXACTLY what I did - Several times!

So then I finally learned to remind myself before getting out of the car and guess what? I STILL found my phone there sometimes! Yikes!

----------

Not even bulldog drool? Heh heh...;)

5. BeeJee macrumors 6502

How do you pick up a glass of water without dropping it? The phone really isn't that slippery. The people that worry about dropping their phones are the ones that do.

6. tbjohn macrumors newbie

Isn't that one of the reasons many people buy iPhone because they like to look at the naked design not because of they want to cover something on it and not seeing it's beautiful body until they sell or hand it over to someone and buy new one? For me, I never have used a phone case nor dropped my phone even once.

7. inck243 macrumors member

I've always hated phone cases. I used my iphone 3G without a case but I had an invisible shield stuck to it... I dropped it maybe once a month but never ran into many issues. Sure there were some chips and scratches and I had to get it replaced under warranty once because some corrosion wasn't allowing it to charge; probably from one of the times I dropped it when it was raining or something. However every time it got replaced under warranty it's like getting a fresh start :D lol

Then I used my iphone 4 without a case until they gave us all a free bumper after that connip**** everyone had about it losing signal from holding it, :p but then I took the bumper off after a few months because the rubber part on the bottom got loose and annoyed me. I remember dropping my 4 a few times here and there and it got a small crack on the back side corner but that went away again, because I needed to get my phone replaced under warranty. I forget what was wrong with it this time. Next thing that happened was I got aerosol sun tanning oil under the screen somehow because they were in the same bag and I think it leaked, but I got that replaced for free using my extended warranty from square trade. (the water damage sticker didn't turn red I guess, maybe because it was oil instead of water lol they took it as a defective product.)

So, to answer the question, no my hands are not clammy :p lol I guess I've been able to do it because I have a different view, or mentality. I've always accepted that normal wear and tear is going to happen to a device that I bring with me everywhere and use so often in an enormous variety of different environments. Unlike something such as furniture or my walls at home, I don't really mind scratches, minor chips and other superficial damages on my phone. Plus, I can always get it replaced for free or for a low $50 deductible, which is close enough to what I would spend on a case anyways. I'm not worried about resell value or anything because I prefer to keep my phone in case one really breaks big time. I figured because of these reasons, it's not worth the added bulk to have a case on the phone. Well, until...

That stupid idea I also have all the time that placing my phone between my legs in the car is the perfect place while driving!! I mean, it's nice because it doesn't slide around but when I get out of my car and find my self thinking "oh where is my pho-OH SH**!!" that's when the stupidity of having it there really sets in, lol.

It's not like I don't care about my phone, I still attempt to recover it with that awkward body irk of trying to catch it by closing my legs... which only propelled it faster into the ground. Then I felt chills from that ominous crash sound we all recognize as a phone scraping across pavement... to which everyone in the car responds with "ooohhhh that sucks" lol yea, no fun! I had my poor iphone 5 for only like a month. The metal got all chipped and scratched but at least no cracked screen. But then a day later when I was taking a picture, I realized a tiny defect that showed up in every picture. There must have been a tiny scratch on the lens from dropping it. Looking closer with a light it looked like there was a piece of hair in the lens, which could have been there the whole time, or maybe a crack from the fall - i don't know but I told them that there was hair in the lens and they replaced it under warranty for free.

But this event kind of changed me. ;) hah, I don't really feel like risking it anymore.. I don't know how many times they can replace it for me under warranty from now on. Up until this point my phones usually lasted me at least 6 months before I had to replace them so this one month business is kind of pathetic. So as I walked out with my replacement the other day I decided to try out having a case again. I'm pretty excited for the stuff I ordered yesterday... I like the color of the case and I think it's pretty cool to customize it a bit and make it different from other iPhones.

8. ceva321, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

clammy hands? body fluids residiue? ewwwww

like the rest of you...i also love how the iphone looks bare. BUT i have always had a simple cover on it.....always. was afraid I might drop it or something....

well one day I decided to carry my phone bareback.. LOL and guess what ? I dropped it and it crashed :(

so this is how it looks now....

front...

[​IMG]
    20130212_180406 by Ceva321, on Flickr

back, with some scotch tape...

[​IMG]
    20130212_180419 by Ceva321, on Flickr

simple faithful cover....

[​IMG]
    20130212_180905 by Ceva321, on Flickr

lesson learned.. :(

don't do bareback

9. MR Bulk thread starter macrumors regular

Whoa, what a sad vision of that back glass. At first I thought it was a decal...!

10. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Trying to hold a naked iPhone is like trying to hold a wet fish, it feels to me like only a matter of time before I drop it.

Trying to take a photo with it naked is even worse and only exacerbates the potentially disastrous situation, much like trying to take a photo with a wet fish I would imagine.

So in summary, if your traveling with a wet fish ensure its cased.

11. HiddenPuppy, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

I look at my iPhone not only as a tool, but a "small investment". I know that normally I will be able to sell it when I upgrade for the latest model out. Point being if it is all scratched and chipped then I get less money and that I do not care for. So I have a case to protect my "investment"

P.S. I know the word "investment" may be a bad choice of words as we expect "investments" to gain in value, I know that is not the case, but I do count on my old iPhone to help offset the cost of the next one. I love the look of the phone without a case though.

12. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

I would bite my own ass if I get a scratch on my iPhone 5 :( So I always go safe with at least a plastic case.

13. Usehername macrumors member

Just get a clear snap on case, looks naked but has some protection. Screen protector is a must however, nothing worse then a scratched up screen.

14. darky90 macrumors member

I know people who use their phones naked and just seeing that actually makes me feel uneasy, but hey, that's their decision with their precious phone. I have to have a case for mine just so there is some grip and general protection.

15. MR Bulk thread starter macrumors regular

Hey I just got a great idea - iPhone GLOVES! The rubbery kind...:D

16. judyyhwu macrumors newbie

Ouch!!!! I have done that before as well... but at the front!!! Gorilla glass is so fragile!!!!!!!!!
    I wish there is something which can protect my phone but I hate bulky cases like otterbox!

17. papen macrumors newbie

I believe if you rarely drop a phone (nobody is never), then a naked iphone is fine. It feels really good in hand and eyes. I dropped my phone couple of time and had some dings here and there but it's not really bother me. I'm not against using a case though. A smartphone is a mini laptop and it deserves more protection than a laptop, as you move it around a lot.

Well, I guess it all comes down to how careful a person is. For the car part, I never text while driving. Just remember to put your phone in your pocket and it's safe. I dropped it one time because I was in a rush. I took it out of my car mount, while trying to get out of my car and you guys know what happened next..

18. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

To the OP I couldn't agree more. The iPhone 5 is super smooth and slippery with dry clean hands. (the backside of it anyway)

I've used the incipio feather case for 4 months and i absolutely love it but i wanted to experience the pure beauty of the phone so i took it off. I was only 4 days in and the phone flew out of my hands one day (luckily i caught it mid air;) , lol).

as you can guess the case went right back on that same day. lol

19. MR Bulk thread starter macrumors regular

Great save! Good reflexes...:)

20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I hate the clear slim cases because they're super glossy and scratch up like none other. I would suggest getting an air jacket or I'm currently using a matte slim shield from spigen. Nice frosted look.

21. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

You get use to the feel of the phone. If you always have your phone in a case, you'll become accustom to the rubbery feel. So of course your phone will feel extremely slippery when you take it out of the case. Use it naked for a few months and the feel of it will become second nature.

22. MR Bulk thread starter macrumors regular

Uhhh -- let me put some carpet down someday on my floors first...just a little too risky the way it is right now...

But thanks for the insight, never thought about having to get used to it first like that.

23. palasmidas macrumors newbie

So far so good, I haven't dropped my iPhone 5 yet.

24. MR Bulk thread starter macrumors regular

Oh nooooo...! Do not jinx yourself!

25. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

The only time mine ever comes out of the case is if I'm sitting down studying for a few hours. I'll take it out and lay it on my textbook and admire the thinness.