The New 14"Razer Blade or MacBook Pro Retina 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kokhoong0624, Aug 27, 2015.

1. kokhoong0624 macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

I just looked up the new razer blade and the price and specifications are almost similar to the MBP 15 high end except for the graphics card.. which the blade rock a GTX 970M that is infinitely better than the MBP AMD.. And the thing is, the razer blade looks (almost) exactly like a black MacBook Pro..which is so pretty.

Does anyone here owns both the MacBook Pro and Razer Blade and can anyone give me an idea of how both of them perform? (In gaming too please!)

I do After Effects and Photoshop.. I'm not a gamer and I never considered a Gaming laptop until I saw the razer blade. Will the graphic cards increase the render speeds?
    (I don't have a workstation, I am a Uni Student).

Open.jpg

2. nStyle macrumors 65816

If you're not a gamer then why would you put $2.5k towards a machine built for gaming?

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Because having a powerful gfx card isn't just about gaming. It can help with photo editing, encoding etc!

4. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

If the screen is good I would consider it but honestly the versatility, batterylife, resale value, etc, Macbook pro takes it.

I'm waiting for the new surface pro 4...if it can run 4k displays I'm sold. I have my macbook for coding and work, the sp4 will be my portable go-to device!

5. nStyle macrumors 65816

The Blade is clearly built for gaming. GFX card isn't going to do much for photo editing. And encoding is more CPU intensive. The only thing it's going to boost is 3D performance. OP doesn't do 3D work, so...

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

How many newbies are we going to see coming to a Mac forum asking for a Window comparison? Use your common sense OP. If all you care is spec then go for Window because it's mostly cheaper. If you look beyond spec (e.g. OSX, Apple's eco-system) then we can talk.

7. nStyle macrumors 65816

I think it's a valid comparison for this forum, I just think the motivation for asking is a little strange considering he says he's not a gamer. Also - price/performance is basically the same. Actually the Blade may be slightly more expensive overall. For $2,349 ($50 cheaper from B&H), you can get a 15" rMBP with dedicated GPU, +1", and twice the hard drive space. Not to mention better build quality and overall better screen and experience. Obviously the GPU isn't as good but close. If we're talking custom built PC vs MBP then no comparison. But then there's no point in comparing a desktop to a laptop anyway.

8. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

GeForce sucks on rendering anyways and are only good for gaming. RMBP is far superior than that poser razer blade in all other spes for the same price and it'll will outperform that POS in all categories except gaming.

9. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I'm not impressed. It's quite expensive for what it is

It really is hard for manufacturers to match apples specs. Forget the build quality and battery

10. kokhoong0624 thread starter macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

Hey thanks guys for the replies! I appreciate them a lot.
    I am looking for a multimedia laptop, gaming laptops are heavy and bulky and I never considered them.
    But the Razer Blade has a great form factor like a multimedia laptop and as a plus - a very great dedicated graphic cards.
    :l
    Because I own a MacBook Pro 2011 15 inch and it only has 256 MB Vram.. And I can't even run Photoshop with 3D settings... .___.
    Not to mention I can't run After Effects at all.. Can't even get pass the installation.
    So I am pretty skeptical about the graphic cards when choosing a laptop now..
    屏幕快照 2015-08-28 下午1.48.33.png
    My apologies. I just hope that I can ask the more experienced people here for a better choice. :l
    I like the Mac OS X. I've been using them for years. I have an iMac too.
    I'm not caring for spec only, I hope that my MB can run the adobe apps for the next few years because I need the software for my uni work..

11. kokhoong0624 thread starter macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

^Yeah thats true! :l So I'm still deciding now.. But one thing is that raise my eyebrows is because the Razer blade graphic card is orders of magnitude better than the rMBP one.. and a lot more expensive.

12. kokhoong0624 thread starter macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

Yeah that's true! That's why I'm taking that into consideration!

13. kingshowman macrumors newbie

14. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Last time I checked, the most warranty you get with a Razer Blade is two years after purchase when you get their extended warranty. You get three years after purchase when you get AppleCare with a MBP.

One more thing to keep in mind.

15. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

No worries. It's just that we've been seeing a lot of the same questions from newbies and all they care is spec. Now that you mentioned about your worries about Photoshop with 3D setting and After Effect then people with that uses it can answer you about it.

Can't you check whether the MBP or Razer is capable of running these problem?

16. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The Razer Blade 2015 costs $2200 starting for a 128GB SATA SSD and a non-Iris Pro CPU. The only thing this has on rMBP is that GTX 970M. Without that GPU, there's literally no reason to go for the Razer Blade unless you just hate Macs regardless of being able to run windows.

Not sure why so many people online praise the Razer Blade and XPS 15 but continue to blast MacBooks for being expensive and overpriced.

17. kokhoong0624 thread starter macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

I can't click into the link bro :p
    Oh thanks for reminding me this! :D I'll check them out before I buy. Anyway, the Apple Care is pretty expensive and I'm still not sure if I'm going to buy it.. ._.

No one really tests the adobe apps when benchmarking or in youtube videos.. I googled them but I'm pretty out of luck. So I resort to ask here.. to see if anyone can give me an idea.
    ^ What you said is true.. But when I read the forums they say that the razer blade doesn't have a screen that is on par with the MacBooks.. Do you run Adobe Photoshop or After Effects with your Macbook pro? Does it work well?

18. kokhoong0624 thread starter macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

Another thing about getting the Razer is.. I might try playing Batman or other games. The only game I'm playing now is Sims 4 which works perfectly even on the lowest end macbook pro 13inch :D (But I'm definitely not an avid gamer)

But really, thank you guys for your advices!

19. snaky69 macrumors 603

My info (and memory) might be outdated(so don't quote me on that), but I believe Adobe apps use CUDA instead of OpenCL, which means the AMD graphics card in the MBP will not be of much help to you.

20. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

The AMD GPU in the MacBook Pro is more than adequate to do professional work like that. The Blade is designed as a Windows gaming laptop.

21. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

If I wasn't an "avid gamer", I'd really think twice before spending almost $3k on a gaming laptop.

22. Gav2k, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Because it's marketed as a gaming laptop it can't be used for other tasks? That's failed logic. Hell a lot of Americans buy pickups and use them as daily run arounds.

23. ThisOldMacHead macrumors member

While not ideal, if you upgrade to 8GB, you'll have 512MB available to your integrated graphics. Use Gfxcardstatus to lock into integrated only and fire up PS. Granted, I have no idea what render times will be like, but it should at least give you the ability to access it.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

if it is the HD3000, on a 15-inch notebook, it may be capped at 384MB

8 GB of RAM, 512 MB allocated. Exception: 384 MB is allocated on 15-inch and 17-inch systems

But there is a thread on MacRumors for hacking the ram allocation, and bumping that to 512 or 1024MB.

Which should get the needed apps running again.

25. ThisOldMacHead macrumors member