Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Have you seen how the app itself looks? ;) Its UI has probably not been touched since at least 2006.

Does it still work? What’s broken about it that needs revamped?
[automerge]1592871331[/automerge]
I find these icons to be immensely better than what iOS7 and Yosemite brought us.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
UGH The poor Finder! What did he do to deserve this?!

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 6.10.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 6.09.36 PM.png

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
They’ve brought 3D back. They are hearkening back to the beginning. Same reason they brought the startup chime back. It’s pretty obvious what they are doing here. This is a new beginning. 11

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014

Look how faint/washed-out the screens look. WHY! What is the point of making the content and controls so dam* hard to see, as if there’s a pixel conservation issue in the world.

How is making the screen content low-contrast, ungrouped, and washed-out a step in the positive direction functionally for anyone?
[automerge]1592872649[/automerge]
Now this is just asinine. What the heck is wrong with providing clear, obvious, helpful context as done with 10.15.

HOW IS THE macOS 11 WAY BETTER? WHAT WAS BROKEN BEFORE? CAN ANYONE GIVE A CONCRETE REASON OTHER THAN “WE’RE OFFERING SOMETHING DIFFERENT.”

CF80C8B9-47C3-4C20-96F0-22C376D6D60E.jpeg

Last edited:

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Look how faint/washed-out the screens look. WHY! What is the point of making the content and controls so dam* hard to see, as if there’s a pixel conservation issue in the world.

How is making the screen content low-contrast and washed-out a step in the positive direction functionally for anyone?
[automerge]1592872649[/automerge]
Now this is just asinine. What the heck is wrong with providing clear, obvious, helpful context as done with 10.15.

HOW IS THE macOS 11 WAY BETTER? WHAT WAS BROKEN BEFORE? CAN ANYONE GIVE A CONCRETE REASON OTHER THAN “WE’RE OFFERING SOMETHING DIFFERENT.”

View attachment 926241

I sincerely hope Apple introduces a grey-chrome window to go with the white and black chrome already available. While I generally prefer the new glyphs, I hate the way the slap them without any visual cues of what's a button.

Also, that uncentered glyph on the left side is killing me.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I know these growing pains are going to be hard. but I called this years ago.. this merger into one os.. one platform to rule them all.. Is just going to be unmatched by any supplier... its going to take things to an entirely differently level..

Reactions: Nightfury326

applCore

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Yes, overall the entire UI direction is ugly. We're really devolving here. Kubuntu and Manjaro are looking better than this crap now.
[automerge]1592876005[/automerge]
I know these growing pains are going to be hard. but I called this years ago.. this merger into one os.. one platform to rule them all.. Is just going to be unmatched by any supplier... its going to take things to an entirely differently level..

This is complete BS if you think it's going to be better. I knew this was coming too back in 2012, BUT I didn't want it. The point is we need a segregation between mobile and desktop devices. Desktop systems need complete openness in terms of being able to troubleshoot, diagnose issues (the system logging is in the can with Mojave and Catalina), and kernel extensions that are robust and fully manipulative of the system.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
They remind me of some random GNOME icon pack. But as long as they look about the same as before so that I can recognize them, I hardly care. But a lot of Apple users put emphasis on "pretty" so I get it.

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Those sliders are truly ghastly. How does that look refined/polished at all? Agree with many of the comments, some changes are acceptable, but others make UI elements too tiny or hard to distinguish for a desktop UI - what is optimized for mobile/touchscreen is not necessarily what is best for a desktop/mouse experience.

After seeing the UI in more detail I really dislike it.

This is what alert/dialog boxes now look like... ?

And controls with tick marks have gone from this...
controls-sliders-tick-marks-catalina_2x.png

To this... ?
controls-sliders-tick-marks_2x.png

Truly ghastly.

lupinglade

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2010
Well, everything looks crooked, unaligned and like the graphics designer only started using Photoshop a week ago?
Also, a lot of these changes look like the concepts floating around on the Internet for the last 3 to 5 years. A *lot* like them. Only worse. No real changes other than graphics hacks all over the place. Over all its a very unpolished, in-cohesive feeling mess. Lots of beach balls and well, right now the text field I'm typing this in has no carret. Of course its a beta, yadayada... but it's not a great start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.