The NEW Apple (WIRED) keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SmurfBoxMasta, Aug 19, 2007.

1. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Slick !
    Sweeeet !!!
    KewltotheNthdegree !!!!!!

I'm typing this post on it right now, and I can already tell my typing speed is faster, more accurate and overall sooo much easier, mainly due to the extremely responsive & tactile feel of the keys, and the reduced profile that allows way better placement of my hands.....

And for anyone who thinks it looked oh so thin in the pictures, you are in for a VERY pleasant surprise :D this thing is barely thicker than a few sheets of paper......seriously !

Also great is the fact that the surface is one solid piece of super smooth machined aluminum, and the areas around the keys are oh so precisely cut out just enough to allow them to come just above the surface.

sweet, sweeter & doubly sweet, IMO, of course :p

2. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I totally agree. Our new iMac arrived a few days ago, and the new wired keyboard feels wonderful. Hooray, Apple!

3. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Thank you for sharing your enthusiastic impressions of the new keyboard.

[​IMG]

Now I'm one step closer to buying me one of those sleek and sexy suckers. :)

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

What Mac are you using it on?
    Are all the function keys (Dashboard etc.) working?
    Have you tried plugging an iPod into it and had it syncing properly?
    Thanks.
    I'd like to get one too (and probably the wireless version), but while the above issues remain unresolved I'm wary.

5. SmurfBoxMasta thread starter macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I'm using it on a QS/867/10.4.10. All the basic keys worked as soon as I plugged it in.

Then a second or 2 later the s/w updater came on and I d/l the driver, restarted and nown all keys, normal & special purpose, works effortlessly. I don't (and have no desire to) use dashboard, and am too lazy to reactivate it just to test 1 key, so I cant speak to that particular function.

I have my intellimouse plugged into 1 side of it, and a nano into the other side, both work perfectly, as does my flash card reader, drawing tablet, printer, digicam, accent light, dymo labler, scanner, speakers, & external cdrw......

Obviously, just about anything I plug into works just fine :p

And just to clarfiy, I REALLY wanted the BT model, which I actually like even more than the corded one, but I must have an integrated number pad for my data entry work, and absolutely refuse to have yet another, seperate device cluttering up my desk :)

6. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I agree. While the OP is drooling all over his new sleek keyboard, I'm wondering if it is working correctly. There are threads popping-up all over the place with people saying that it's not working correctly or as advertised on their Macs. I'm mostly concerned about the function key issues, because I can plug an iPod into another port. I use those function keys all of the time, so if they aren't working, that's unacceptable.

My best guess is the OP is using the new iMac. Seems that's the only machine that will support the keyboard 100%. I'm sure a revision is on the way, unless Apple plans to leave non-iMac people out in the cold. In the meantime, I'll just keep tapping away on my old white wireless.

7. SmurfBoxMasta thread starter macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

dO

iT.......

N.

O..

W...

:eek:

!
    !!
    !!!

8. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

My credit card has already summersaulted out of my wallet in slow-motion, accompanied with a sweet hollywood lens-flare effect. :eek:

Urge to buy... rising... rising... AHHHH! :eek:

Clickity-click click clack. Click click clank clickity-click...

Transaction complete. ;)

9. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Thanks for that.

Quicksilver Power Macs have only USB 1.1 ports (unless you add a PCI USB 2.0 card) and I assume you've plugged it into a USB 1.1 port on the Mac itself.
    It'd be great if you could test if the alt/option key works at startup. I'm guessing it will work, and the people having trouble are running it on USB 2.0 ports. Unfortunately that's what I'll be doing :(

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I'm suing a chepa Dell kdyboard for my mini and wasd wondering if it would be betetre using the nice nwe A;ple oen.. :p

11. SmurfBoxMasta thread starter macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I do have a 2.0 card, & it works fine when connected there also !

And I checked the alt/opt/cmd/s/nvr/pram keys/combos just few minutes ago, and they worked perfectly too.........

12. SmurfBoxMasta thread starter macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

lIkE, dUh :D

13. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

That's great, thanks.
    Weird how newer Macs seem to be having problems with this new keyboard :confused:

14. SmurfBoxMasta thread starter macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

QA.......or lack thereof......can/will doom a new product very quickly !!!!!

but I personally dont think it's the KB, but rather the newest Macs themselves that are problematic.......

I say this based on the 90 min or so I spent at the applestore playing with them, I noticed lots & lots of things I didnt like, even after restarts and clearing caches/log files/zpr, etc.....

things like apps failing to launch at all and/or being sluggish to respond, freezing dock, numerous sightings of the spBBod, loss of BT connectivity etc etc......

machines included the octoMP, extremeRscreameR iMacs, and the kiddymacs..... only the MB's & MBP's seemed to be functioning 100% correctly w/o any problems...

And yea, I know the display units get fubarred by all the clueless boneheads who play bad w/ them, but I also know how to quickly fix most of the damage they cause, and get the machines back to a working state asap :)