The new Digg icons under the new posts.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ravenvii, May 17, 2007.

?

Do you like the new Digg icons?

1. Yay

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. Nay

37 vote(s)
    72.5%
  1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I noticed the new Digg icons (with the number of diggs, and a "digg this" link). And I must say, I don't like it. The Digg link next to the post comments link are fine, but the new icons make the page too cluttery. I vote thumbs down.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I just posted in the old digg thread about this. I vote nay as well...unless there is a way to streamline it where the original digg link is. As it is, it's too big and distracts from the story content.

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Digg's a great site, but there's got to be a line somewhere, you quite often see sites with links by each article to digg, del.icio.us stumble upon, trailfire, the list goes on.

5. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I agree, leave it at just the text digg link, and no more.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Wait? There's a page other than

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=41,47

Weird.

:)

Actually it'd be better maybe if it was integrated into the layout instead of tacked onto the end of posts.

Oh goodness! I hate sites that have "promote me!" at the end of every article to 20 different sites...

7. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Are you talking about this? If you are I don't like it. Too cluttery.

Attached Files:

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It would be better if they were those tiny icons. That way users of those site could have the added functionality. Plus they could be stuck over in the far right on the article footer, so you could easily ignore them.

On the other hand, I really don't see the point. Only occasionally does Macrumors break a story based on its own information, so I see this site as a rumor aggregator much in the way digg is a news aggregator. Chances are, by the time Macrumors has posted a story from another site, that original site's story has already taken off over at digg. So having a digg link is really pointless, except for the stories that Macrumors breaks themselves.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I tried them on my blog; I generally found they don't work anyway. Even on an extremely high-traffic site like MR, there are only 26 Diggs on the story.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's kinda about who breaks the story but it's also about who has the most readership... if site "A" breaks a story and has a small readership then MacRumors picks it up 4 hours later, MacRumors will get "Digged" (or Dugged?) more since it has a larger readership.

I think the icon just feels obtrusive for the time being but I'd say let it sit for a month or two for people to get used to it. Then maybe decide to make it smaller if needed. Or if possible make it an option for people with a certain post count met to turn on/off, enlarge, make smaller... whatever...

I can see why Arn put it there though. Digg is a big site at the moment and the more exposure this site gets even with it's already large user base, the better.

I never browse the main page though so... whatever...

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The digg links are a bit of an experiment. Please bare with us.

Unfortunately, it's an escalating battle. So, if you don't play the game, others will.

That being said, the digg links generally stay until the story "wins" or gets beat... so the faster it's dugg, the quicker it will get removed from the page :)

arn

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

This is actually not true, and there have been times where we have "broken" stories which are then overtaken by other sites who have promoted their digg-links more prominently.

Like I said, this is a bit of an experiment, so let's play it out and see.

arn

13. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Do you think it's a case of digg-link placement or could those sites just be receiving more traffic in general and thus more likely to have there diggs dugg?

I wouldn't mind the large digg-link if it could be incorporated into footer. I just think it looked odd hanging at the bottom of the story like that.

Also, since some readers forego the main page and just find the stories in the forums or through their RSS reader, how about incorporating digg-links at the end of the story bodies in the forum and in the RSS feeds?

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

15. johnmcboston macrumors 6502

johnmcboston

So what the heck is this digg business??? I went to the digg site and most of the 'high rated' stories were worthless. Why are you even bothering?

16. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm turned off by the digg icons as well. It just seems kind of tacky to me. Amateurish, maybe.

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

18. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

19. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

The old one just said [digg it] (the old one is still up there btw, the new icon is what's annoying), and was something simple.

I must say the placement in the upper corner of the article does look better, but I wish we could go back to the text only version.

20. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'm getting used to the new one, but I must say I prefer the smaller ones. I also say, if Macrumors is "doing the digg thing"...then let's go all out and have digg-links in the first posts of these articles. There are probably a lot of us who have forum page or forum spy bookmarked and don't visit the main page that often.

It would also help if the stories were pre-dugg by the Macrumors staff...I'll bet people are much more likely to digg if there's not the added pressure of being the first to digg.

21. BigPrince macrumors 68020

the small one centered at the bottom of the articles is the most effective one so far

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I like it, but put it in the footer where the [ Rate: Positive | Negative ] [ digg ] is.

23. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I tend to agree, I yellow icon is very distracting and detracts from the entire page. Of course that needs to be weighed against how many people will digg the story if it is only in the footer.

At least it will increase traffic.

24. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

As you guys have been able to tell, we are trying to use the icons appropriately. Many times, we won't use the icon at all (the [ digg ] link would be the only thing there). Some of the times, you will see us use the small icon, and then occasionally, the large icon in the top-left.

Like Arn has said, its an experiment. However, if you see the attached screenshot of digg's front page right now, the traffic really helps the site.

Attached Files:

25. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

So Arn,

Has the Digg links help increase traffic to the site, if so, by how much?

I have started seeing macrumors.com stories quite often on Digg now.