Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous-A.S

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 31, 2022
Hello all, today I would like to safely give you most of what I know about the upcoming iOS 17.

Control center has big changes!

Dynamic island does way more (thanks to marketing department)

More Always on display settings

A few more Focus mode filters

CarKey and wallet app implementations

Active widgets in testing*

Camera app changes**

notifications changes/options

Custom Accessibility settings

Health app favorites gets new layout

Heavily improved search

A metric ton of ARkit APIs/frameworks

Supports:

A11+ iPhones all supported from iOS 16. Including iPhone 8 and iPhone X.

iPads are iffy, 17 might support them all, but *could* drop A9, and even A10. This will be decided by a dedicated QC team in the coming weeks. (So will iPhoneOS/iOS, but it’s 100% certain the A11 Bionic chips and up will pass with flying colors.)

First few beta cycles may end up being rough for devices with 3gb of ram (standard iPads, iPhone 8/X) but will improve to become a more stable and efficient update for all devices ***especially*** the older ones. it will be their last update.

Performance, efficiency, stability and long-term support for older devices are the main features of this update.

The iPhone 15 Pros are still on track to receive capacitive/haptic buttons. The latest rumor claiming they will not is false, Apple still has plans for this to be a huge feature.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Hello all, today I would like to safely give you most of what I know about the upcoming iOS 17.

Camera app changes**

Heavily improved search

Supports:

iPads are iffy, 17 might support them all, but *could* drop A9, and even A10. This will be decided by a dedicated QC team in the coming weeks. (So will iPhoneOS/iOS, but it’s 100% certain the A11 Bionic chips and up will pass with flying colors.)

First few beta cycles may end up being rough for devices with 3gb of ram (standard iPads, iPhone 8/X) but will improve to become a more stable and efficient update for all devices ***especially*** the older ones. it will be their last update.

Performance, efficiency, stability and long-term support for older devices are the main features of this update.

The iPhone 15 Pros are still on track to receive capacitive/haptic buttons. The latest rumor claiming they will not is false, Apple still has plans for this to be a huge feature.

Please refer to the Tweet here, I’m hoping to start use it more →
Thanks for the update!

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What does that mean for devices with 2GB of RAM? It's going to be extra rough for them?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
What does "does way more" mean (re: Dynamic Island)?
What kind of changes are coming to Control Center?
What kind of Wallet app implementations?
What exactly is going on with the health app and notifications ?

Some actual details would be nice.
In case you haven't already seen it the Twitter link at the bottom of the post contains slightly more detailed information.

prime17569

macrumors regular
May 26, 2021
Does this mean that I will still be able to use my old iPhone 8 Plus to test betas for the next couple of years? I'm excited for what you're saying that iOS 17 will offer, but would rather not test the betas on my primary device.

Taras93

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2023
Supporting all devices with ios 16 would be the most logical and right choice since ios 16 has brought problems on all devices, one cannot and cannot think that some iphones would remain with ios 16 problems forever

Reactions: Unami and Alex Cai

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016

Just curious, and you’re probably not able to answer, but will the new action button be able to be used for the accessibility shortcut?
At the moment it’s triple clicking the side button… which is fine but definitely awkward and can create some very close encounters with accidental emergency SOS activation.
I’duse an accessibility button way more than a mute switch

Reactions: Lyrics23

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Does this mean that I will still be able to use my old iPhone 8 Plus to test betas for the next couple of years? I'm excited for what you're saying that iOS 17 will offer, but would rather not test the betas on my primary device.
It’s definitely looking like you’ll be able to test iOS 17 betas, but I’m guessing iOS 17 will be the end of the road for the 8, 8+ and X.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Personally for me given that the first generation pros have 4GB and 2GB of RAM respectively with the old processor They will most likely won’t get the update ( and to add that the 12.9 inch pro should be headed to vintage status soon this year or maybe next year like the Air 2 went to that list just before it got cut from iPadOS 16.) if this happens then we know the end result

As of A10X iPads given hardware wise both models are the exact same in all its glory unlike the A9X iPads as well as on par performance with A11 iPhones in multi core, more RAM ( especially vs iPhone 8 which has half the RAM).. I think they will both make it to the new OS.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Looking forward to the dynamic island changes!

Also number 9 sounds interesting, I’m hoping this means we will be able to do things like turn off the Homebar systemwide and put icons wherever we want on the Homescreen, among other things.
I'd really like to be able to change icons from the home screen. And I mean, without the need of using shortcuts.

Camera app changes**

Heavily improved search

Supports:

Please refer to the Tweet here, I’m hoping to start use it more →
@anonymous-A.S Thank you so much for the update. Keep up the good work. You must be protected! 👏🏻 🫡

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Supporting all devices with ios 16 would be the most logical and right choice since ios 16 has brought problems on all devices, one cannot and cannot think that some iphones would remain with ios 16 problems forever
iPhone 4s wants to have a talk with you...

iOS 9 may not be as buggy as iOS 16 but the performance on iPhone 4s makes me think Apple should have left it on iOS 8

If Apple is able to iron out all the issues with iOS 16, A11 Bionic devices may no longer get the iOS 17 update, however if it will be like iOS 12, performance fixes with some new features, iOS 17 will likely be the last update...

I'm still on the belief that A11 Bionic devices and other older chipsets may be kept on iOS 16 and iPadOS 16

Reactions: NC12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.