Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
First time I see the ladies not that happy about the gold and I’m the opposite of them this year. I have the 12 pro in gold and I love the contrast between the back and the sides. It’s a subtle light gold with maybe some silver in lighting angles If you’re trying to look for it. I saw all the colors in the Apple store and honestly they’re all good. Everyone has their opinion but the gold is legit. I’ve had it now for three days, not disappointed in the least. If I had to guess the ladies were maybe looking for a little more rose goldish with a teeny bit of pink. It’s not. That’s what makes it great. Lol

zblomstrom

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2017
I've been really torn between gold, pacific blue, and sometimes silver. I want to use the plum silicone case and think it would look really good with gold but some pictures make it look good while others make it look horrible so I'm having trouble deciding. Never had this much back and forth on color before.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I've been really torn between gold, pacific blue, and sometimes silver. I want to use the plum silicone case and think it would look really good with gold but some pictures make it look good while others make it look horrible so I'm having trouble deciding. Never had this much back and forth on color before.
IF you’re going with the plum silicone case, which by the way is beautiful, the best contrast is with the pacific blue from the vids I’ve seen. Silver or gold wouldn’t make sense with the plum.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I bought the pacific blue from Apple, which arrived on Friday, but the gold was calling to me, so I walked into an Apple store on Saturday and bought one. Brought it home, opened them both and couldn't make up my mind. Finally Sunday night my wife said "I'm taking the blue," so I was left with the gold. At first I was like "oh wait!" but by this morning I'm really glad I've got the gold. I think it looks amazing.

Sugarbear6874

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2017
First time I see the ladies not that happy about the gold and I’m the opposite of them this year. I have the 12 pro in gold and I love the contrast between the back and the sides. It’s a subtle light gold with maybe some silver in lighting angles If you’re trying to look for it. I saw all the colors in the Apple store and honestly they’re all good. Everyone has their opinion but the gold is legit. I’ve had it now for three days, not disappointed in the least. If I had to guess the ladies were maybe looking for a little more rose goldish with a teeny bit of pink. It’s not. That’s what makes it great. Lol
I totally agree with you on this, and I am a woman who loves rose gold. I am glad that Apple went with this shade as well!!

Reactions: mel823

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
A few people asked me for more gold pics... so here they are!
Think its by far the best colour this year!

20201027_124002.jpg

20201027_124030.jpg

20201027_124108.jpg

20201027_123858.jpg

20201027_123902.jpg

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Does anyone have a gold 5S they could compare with by chance? That (and the 8) were by far my favorite gold colors, so I’m wondering if the 12 is that more champagne gold that the 5S had.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Picked up my Gold iPhone today. Haven’t been to the 5th Avenue store in years, so it was an experience.

Thank you to everybody who posted pics of the Gold phone, she is gorgeous (yes my phone is a she). My hand has already adjusted to the new size (I do the pinky supporting the bottom hand hold). I would say my tiniest criticism is that I wish they had kept the display at 5.8”. Reachability is definitely going to be used by me a lot.

Also picked up the Plum apple case - my fist Apple case. Unfortunately, my screen protectors are still in transit from Spigen, so I slapped one of my 11 Pro’s one on it. Ill fitting, but it’s better than nothing.

Tomorrow I’m going to put my dear Poison Ivy (11 Pro) up for sale on Swappa. If I can’t get a sale in a week, I’ll trade it in at the Apple store. The Sales Associate said I had 14 days to do it.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Picked up my Gold iPhone today. Haven’t been to the 5th Avenue store in years, so it was an experience.

Thank you to everybody who posted pics of the Gold phone, she is gorgeous (yes my phone is a she). My hand has already adjusted to the new size (I do the pinky supporting the bottom hand hold). I would say my tiniest criticism is that I wish they had kept the display at 5.8”. Reachability is definitely going to be used by me a lot.

Also picked up the Plum apple case - my fist Apple case. Unfortunately, my screen protectors are still in transit from Spigen, so I slapped one of my 11 Pro’s one on it. Ill fitting, but it’s better than nothing.

Tomorrow I’m going to put my dear Poison Ivy (11 Pro) up for sale on Swappa. If I can’t get a sale in a week, I’ll trade it in at the Apple store. The Sales Associate said I had 14 days to do it.
So I totally meant to post this in the First impressions thread, I can't see where to delete. ?

vroom2

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2019
A few people asked me for more gold pics... so here they are!
Think its by far the best colour this year!

View attachment 974905
View attachment 974906
View attachment 974907
View attachment 974908
View attachment 974909
I have a PB 12 pro and intend to order a Max on Friday, although I think the PB is gorgeous, it almost always looks dark, I like to see the colors of an iPhone pop a little more, these pics show that the gold does that and then some. I will prob go for gold on the max.

jettie1767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
I'm still on the fence between Gold or Pacific Blue. Whenever I visit this thread, I leave convinced that I'll get the gold but then I see the Pacific Blue elsewhere and like it as well. We'll see which one I order on Friday. Anyone have experience with the Apple clear case? Does it yellow? I have always bought the Apple leather case but with the gold and blue shades being so nice this year, I'm leaning towards getting a clear case.

vroom2

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2019
I'm still on the fence between Gold or Pacific Blue. Whenever I visit this thread, I leave convinced that I'll get the gold but then I see the Pacific Blue elsewhere and like it as well. We'll see which one I order on Friday. Anyone have experience with the Apple clear case? Does it yellow? I have always bought the Apple leather case but with the gold and blue shades being so nice this year, I'm leaning towards getting a clear case.
Regarding the colors, what do you have now and what do you like/dislike most about that color? PB looks gorgeous in pictures, but irl it fades away most of the time, not a single family member has noticed I got the 12 pro, a first for an iPhone lol (not that it matters, but if it wasn’t for the new designs feeling in the hand, I wouldn’t notice either lol)

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Does anyone have a gold 5S they could compare with by chance? That (and the 8) were by far my favorite gold colors, so I’m wondering if the 12 is that more champagne gold that the 5S had.

The back is more light beige but the sides is very shiny 18k gold?

4D03180C-D79F-48F4-B09C-E6F3FD3DBE5D.jpeg

7C318AC3-4BC0-4B3F-926B-E7AB84EE4F48.jpeg

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
To me the difference is I can’t stop staring at the gold sides and trim. It’s so shiny and well presented. I can’t say the same with other colors because once it goes in a case, I get bored with that color.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
After going back-and-forth I chose the gold as well and the only thing I wish they had on this one would be the round Up and Down volume buttons as on the iPhone 5 as shown in the above pictures. I kind of miss those.

jettie1767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Regarding the colors, what do you have now and what do you like/dislike most about that color? PB looks gorgeous in pictures, but irl it fades away most of the time, not a single family member has noticed I got the 12 pro, a first for an iPhone lol (not that it matters, but if it wasn’t for the new designs feeling in the hand, I wouldn’t notice either lol)

Have the midnight green 11 Pro Max today. It’s in a green leather case and as you’ve said, the color is so dark no one notices it. I really think gold is the way to go this year.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Have the midnight green 11 Pro Max today. It’s in a green leather case and as you’ve said, the color is so dark no one notices it. I really think gold is the way to go this year.

I feel the same way. Can’t wait to be done with MG 11PM. I regretted this color a week after launch. Just didn’t have the time or efforts to swap it as colors where sold out. With 12 PM I’m going back to gold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.