Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I feel like almost all complaints about these new iMacs hinge on them not being a replacement for the 27". They are not intended to be. Don't worry, everything indicates there will be a larger iMac coming out that's more "Pro" oriented and will have more muted colors and is the true successor to the 27".

Reactions: Royksöpp

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Don't worry, everything indicates there will be a larger iMac coming out that's more "Pro" oriented and will have more muted colors and is the true successor to the 27".
And how does “everything indicate” the bigger iMac will be as you describe? For a very long time the 27 was just a larger version of the 21.5 with some higher specs available. The higher specs are pretty much a given, but the device’s appearance is still an open question.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Well, I think it will have a chin most likely.

But I do think it will be available in fewer colors, the same way the Pro iPhones are available in fewer and more muted colors than the non-Pro iPhones (which have more and brighter colors). Of course I don't know; I'm basing this off rumors and previous patterns. Anything could happen. I just think this is what's likely to happen. I don't think the larger iMac will be available in the same colors and I think it will have a higher-performance chip.

Xak444

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
So I have waited years to finally get an iMac and this is the look of the redesign? I just saw these and the colors completely took the professional look away from the iMac and made them look like a computer for elementary schools or on Nickelodeon.

These new pastel colors definitely take the elegant appearance away from what Apple stood for with their iMac's and products overall. The older models gave the iMac a nice Apple look...a great and professional machine. These colors make it look like a toy. I get it, colors are not for everyone but why is every option that way? Its like you have to get a color or you don't get one.

If you want something simple and more elegant your only option is the silver one and the silver is so bland and boring it looks like yogurt. It makes the screen look like a plastic rectangle.

The other colors are so vibrant on one side and then so pastel on the other side. It makes the chin pop out and become even more noticeable than before. I don't know how annoying the color of the bezel will be when you are working on the iMac and staring at a blue or orange or green chin all day with a white bezel around.

Why does it not come in the Space Gray color? That color would at least make the iMac look professional again and less blinding.

Imagine you have a modern looking office with simple colors and want a black computer but now you have a freaking BLUE iMAC on your desk.

I sure hope the 27" replacement comes in Space Gray.
Professional look? The iMac is has never been a pro computer until maybe now. I really think you gotta see them in person. They’re awesome.

Reactions: DanTSX

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
What I think the big iMac will probably look like.

iMac30-1.jpg

What many around here are hoping the big iMac will look like.

iMac30-2.jpg

Seriously if Apple goes the route of the latter it will look pretty much like iMacs have looked like for more than a decade. It would look like hardly anything has changed. And while it would still be acceptable I think it will look stark, uninspiring and drab.

For what it's worth I am in the camp that wishes Apple had retained the logo on the chin, matching the bezel of course.

Reactions: SR 7 and matrix07

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
What I think the big iMac will probably look like.

View attachment 1780349

What many around here are hoping the big iMac will look like.

View attachment 1780350

Seriously if Apple goes the route of the latter it will look pretty much like iMacs have looked like for more than a decade. It would look like hardly anything has changed. And while it would still be acceptable I think it will look stark, uninspiring and drab.

For what it's worth I am in the camp that wishes Apple had retained the logo on the chin, matching the bezel of course.
I think the logo is gone for good from the front. Apple is clearly going to a more reserved marketing presentation; look how the AirPods max have no branding on them.

I do believe that the larger iMac will retain the chin, however I really hope that the entire computer is not within it and that they expand the chassis to give it more cooling headroom, higher specs, and all the extra goodies such as better speakers and a better camera.

Other than potentially being a bit thicker, I think the larger iMac is going to borrow much of the smaller one’s design. However I am confident that it will come in at least both silver and space gray. There is a chance, though, that the silver version retains white bezels and only the space gray version gets black.

vi2867

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I think the design is great, but the coloring does not make sense. They should have used the darker color for the stand and front bottom panel with the border black. Instead of a front logo they should have put "iMac."

Reactions: Altis

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
What smaller models do you mean? The 21.5 iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro?
I was talking about the other M1s. The Macbook Air M1 (which I already own with 16Gb Ram, 1TB SSD, and 8 cores for both CPU and GPU). The MacBook Pro M1, and the Mac Mini M1. Normally, I have an Air which doubles as my travel studio and live performance machine, and a supporting desktop for doing my studio work in the home office. My 2013 iMac (with spinning HDD) doesn’t really cut it anymore, so I wanted to replace that. The big decision was whether to go with the Mac Mini vs. the iMac, this time. The price vs. performance when selecting between models, is really flipped on its head, with M1.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
So I have waited years to finally get an iMac and this is the look of the redesign? I just saw these and the colors completely took the professional look away from the iMac and made them look like a computer for elementary schools or on Nickelodeon.

These new pastel colors definitely take the elegant appearance away from what Apple stood for with their iMac's and products overall. The older models gave the iMac a nice Apple look...a great and professional machine. These colors make it look like a toy. I get it, colors are not for everyone but why is every option that way? Its like you have to get a color or you don't get one.

If you want something simple and more elegant your only option is the silver one and the silver is so bland and boring it looks like yogurt. It makes the screen look like a plastic rectangle.

The other colors are so vibrant on one side and then so pastel on the other side. It makes the chin pop out and become even more noticeable than before. I don't know how annoying the color of the bezel will be when you are working on the iMac and staring at a blue or orange or green chin all day with a white bezel around.

Why does it not come in the Space Gray color? That color would at least make the iMac look professional again and less blinding.

Imagine you have a modern looking office with simple colors and want a black computer but now you have a freaking BLUE iMAC on your desk.

I sure hope the 27" replacement comes in Space Gray.
First, like another poster stated, there's the silver option. What color were the aluminum iMacs was? Silver. Besides, only the iMac Pro that was available in space grey. If you actually do have the iMac Pro, why are you even looking at the base iMacs for upgrades?

Second, there are other Windows all-in-one workstations that are silver in color as well. Nothing irregular.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It's funny how controversial the design and color of these M1 iMacs have become.
For me personally, I want colors in my gadgets. Why should everything be grey? Reminds me of the boomers demanding their computers to be beige back then. :D

Reactions: BKDad

scoblep

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2014
I love the colors. I’m someone who grew up around the iMac G3s. They were a really important machine that helped foster my love of the Macintosh and computers as a whole. Besides that the iMac saved Apple when Steve returned and these are a nice homage to that machine. Apple and macOS have always been welcome and playful and these new iMacs bring that back and I think it will help Apple like it did more than two decades ago.

Reactions: Warped9

SamboSoul

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2020
I was wondering… would it be a fair possibility that Apple will introduce a 24“ iMac Pro and an 27“ version?

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I’m someone who grew up around the iMac G3s. They were a really important machine that helped foster my love of the Macintosh and computers as a whole.

I do remember these and the stupid looks plus that joke of a CRT (I was running a 1280x1024 TFT at that time) made me not consider anything Apple for another 7 years. Well considering they were running the POS Apple called MacOS at that time it wasn't much of a hard choice.

Mind you, they did sell well, they did save Apple and I do kinda like the looks, specs and even pricing of the new iMac(they are just not for me).

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Disagree, wasn‘t a fan when I first saw the white bezels during the event, once I saw them in store, they look stunning, the white bezels and colours they picked work very well together.

Blue, green, purple are my top 3 colours. 👌

Reactions: ian87w and DanTSX

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
There is nothing plasticky or childish about the new iMacs. Just a lot of prejudiced assumptions from folks who think they know design because they own some space grey fruit product......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.