The New iMac you've all been waiting for... (updated)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Swordylove, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Swordylove, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Well just kidding, of course... but this is how I'd like them to look like. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• All glass+black front, down to the chin.
    • Significantly shorter chin.
    • 'iMac' instead of Apple logo at the front.
    • Completely flat back.
    • Thicker than 2011 iMac when measured from the edges, but thinner from the center.
    • Ports (for 21.5 inch model): 1x Audio line out, 1x Audio line in, 1x HDMI, 3x USB 3.0, 1x FireWire 800, 2x Thunderbolt, 1x Gigabit Ethernet
    • UPDATE: Camera on top vertically centered.
    • UPDATE: Also available in white. :cool:

I've never liked the curved back. And yeah, I still need the optical drive. I also noticed that most people (including me) like to have the word 'iMac' on their iMacs. One apple logo at the back is enough, right? No chin is also fine with me as long as there's the 'iMac' word to differentiate from the Thunderbolt Display.

Retina or not, I don't really care for now.

Thanks for looking! :D

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I love the total flat design, feel solid and well built like current iPhone, but I don't know, all-black bezel in front seems a bit off.

However I love the looks of 30" ACD
    [​IMG]

Gotta love the back :eek:
    [​IMG]

I don't know, it looks sturdier and much more masculine to me. If iMac could be designed like that, I'll be jelly. :eek:

3. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Excellent mock up! Love the all black front and iMac wording!

4. ivnj macrumors 65816

You guys are so creative. I'm happy if just turns on without blowing up.

5. dkersten macrumors 6502a

I'm not in the market for an iMac, but i think they would look much better if they had a thinner bezel like the thunderbolt display

6. Swordylove thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Thanks guys. :D

I can see why you like this design, especially the back. It looks more 'Pro'. ;)
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes it flat. :)

----------

Aren't the bezels already the same size (except that the iMac has chin)? In fact, I made the front mock-up above from the Thunderbolt Display.

7. ivnj macrumors 65816

Or how about an imac with replaceable - removable screen??

8. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

Wow - i think i've met a person with the exact opposite tastes to myself! I find those pictures hideous! :D

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

How about something like this? Rather than having the chin at the bottom you could put the display closer to the vertical center, more like the iPhone:

[​IMG]

10. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Well done! Although I do believe the optical drive is getting dropped.

11. rotorblade69 macrumors regular

I Like it.

IN ON ONE!!!!!

Oh and personally I really wouldn't mind the ODD gone.

WTF might as well admit to facts.

Fact is: Apple wants the ODD gone.

12. Eddyala macrumors newbie

I live in the greatest city in the world-N.Y.C.
    Optical?

Oh Please...don't even say something like that cause the people at Apple might
    read this and go on and do it,yeah! They might even say try to convince each other that its the best new idea they've had in years.Hey,lets keep our fingers crossed OK?

13. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

We can dream...I like that HDMI port, very useful, but I still think I will go Pro next year.

14. zai-huei macrumors member

I'm thinken, that we could use it for tv - 30"...
    7.1 surround sound THX
    3.0 USB
    - And bigger air ways!

Attached Files:

15. Rebel Hedgehog macrumors member

Some great mock ups, but in reality we are only going to see a spec bump IMO as there has been zero leaks of new imac hardware.

16. antidromic, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

antidromic macrumors newbie

antidromic

I'm afraid I've got to agree :(

I've never liked the idea of a black bezel; I loved the 30' ACD - black seems a little off to me; aluminium is my material of choice! Also, I'm not keen on iMac on the front either. I don't think text quite fits on the bezel.

17. Swordylove thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Added a white version of my mock up.

I think I prefer the white one because it matches the keyboard and mouse. :cool: Except if there are black keyboard and mouse too, because semi-invisible camera is a plus.

18. Imaginethe macrumors regular

Nice mockups, although not my cup of tea.

There is something not quite right about the balance of the design, can't quite figure it out in my head. I am not sure about the all square back as it feels a bit dated. I do quite like the all black bezel.

19. iMcLovin, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I agree. It's a nice mockup. But to me I see no point writing "iMac" on the frame. An apple is ok as it's the brand logo. There's no need to have iMac plastered there. Seems to thick from the side but I would be happy about that if they added desktop gpu etc... But I prefer the original back that isn't completely flat... It just makes it look like a clumpy old fashioned lcd monitor when it's flat.... cool nonetheless ;)

White - never!!

20. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That iMac string there is absolutely and utterly horrible, no one would ever consider buying such a disgusting piece of kit. :)

With no logos at all in the front, just like iOS devices, would make it better with a right design.

21. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

If the iMac is made equally thick, then the chin can be removed.

Different widths of the edges do not look good.

The replacement of :apple: on the front with "iMac" is a good suggestion so that an iMac can be easily distinguished from a thunderbolt display.

I have three further suggestions:

1. Together with a flat back, the back cover should be also made easy to remove so that the interior can be easily reached, which facilitates the upgrading of RAM and storage.

2. Apple may consider build two or more SSD drawers (like HDD drawers in a Mac Pro) into the iMac so that the storage can be easily expanded by users.

3. Apple may also consider provide at least two mini PCIe slots so that the expandability of the iMac is enhanced.

22. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Why?? the iMac is not meant to be portable, so who cares if it includes the weight of a optical drive

23. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

Good to see the "iMac" on the front there, I forgot what I was doing when I tried the new retina Macbook Pro at the Apple Store.

24. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If ditched SuperDrive = possibility of using desktop GPU, then I'm game.
    If that's just for the sake of thinness, look and sleekness, then it would be an utter embarrassment.

It would be no more than just another iMac Air.

25. Swordylove thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Well to me, the curved back looks like its trying too hard to look stylish. I like simplicity. :)

That's the idea about the thickness - to make room for better innards. We don't need thinness/lightness in iMac. It's a desktop computer! You're not going to carry it around, plus making it thinner isn't going to give your desktop more space (unless you find a way to shorten the depth of the pedestal while keeping the same stability). I sure don't want to give up performance for the sake of thinness.

And funny that you say the flatness looks old fashioned, when Apple themselves has flattened the iPhone's back (which is good to me) :D

Number 1 is good if it doesn't spoil the look. :p But 2 and 3 are definitely too much to ask for. Might as well settle for Mac Pro.

Yeah having the name of the product (or at least Apple logo) on the bezel kinda makes me feel more secure (and proud). It reminds me that I'm using a machine that I can trust (mostly). Or maybe because I'm so used to it with my iBook and MacBook.

LOL @ 'iMac Air' :D