Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I'm shocked by the negative responses here. There were a TON of updates announced and we all know that there are unannounced stuff too (like apperently deleting stock apps). Plus the stuff they add specific for the iPhone 7.
Yes, not all of the updates were super awesome and were "catch-up" features (voicemail transcription) but they are a ton of great updates.
The redesign of the messages app is huge.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
As they prep iMessage to launch on other platforms, it needs to have more features to compete. It's just part of the roadmap. If the plans were to keep iMessage for the Apple product family only, we wouldn't have seen the explosive emoji party yesterday.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Anyone else NOT a fan of all the crap they're shoving into iMessage? It looks freaking terrible and possibly really annoying depending on who your contacts are.

Was really hoping for iMessage on iCloud (like WhatsApp Web) and Apple Pay within Messages, but not this..

Messages gets used a lot, and can now get used even more (with 3rd party integrations)...or is that not included in "all the crap"?

I can't even imagine the thought process that motivates your "iMessage on iCloud" comment. Do you really think any measurable collection of users would actually care about that?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I am actually really happy messages now has these great features. A lot of other messaging apps have them but iMessage did not. It was a little lacking. If you don't like them, don't use them. Pretty simple. Lol

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
can't even imagine the thought process that motivates your "iMessage on iCloud" comment. Do you really think any measurable collection of users would actually care about that?

*raises hand* I care about that.

I've been wanting this for years and I've definitely seen plenty of other people around here mentioning it as something they'd want. The uses are many; allowing people to free up space on iPhones without deleting message histories that may have hugely sentimental value or other importance, syncing things like message deletions, and perhaps even allowing an iCloud.com web client for those of us whose office jobs leave us stuck using a Windows computer. To each his own and all, but please just speak for yourself. There are plenty people who would enjoy such an addition.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
At first I was taken back by all of the "frill" in the messages app, but it's going to be a smashing success with the general public and even I kind of like messing around with that stuff.

Reactions: linuslh1996

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
In the wide population of Messages users, no, plenty is wrong word choice.

And you know this how?

I mean it's such a simple addition that a lot of people probably wouldn't even notice, I'd bet. I always find it odd when people argue to keep a feature out when it would make at least a few people happy. Why bother? If you don't want it, just don't use it. And yes, as someone who's seen people complain about the lack of deletion syncing and the like, I would argue that "plenty" is a very accurate term.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
A lot of the stuff like stickers and full screen animations etc will not appeal to me and I won't use them. However plenty of people will and adding that option is a good thing for me. As has been said the biggest disappointment for me is the lack of p2p Apple Pay, although it's very possible that it maybe added by the general release, or on an iOS 10. release, certainly it will be included by iOS 11 at the latest.

Apple should probably have opened up iMessage to Android with support to link with the users contact number as well, shame they may have missed an opportunity there.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Lol. yeah looks like its a REAL popular feature...!

But thanks for the clarification on what i should and shouldn't use. While ever I'm paying for the products i will express my opinion on the hardware, software or the ECOsystem of apple in any which way i choose as long as it remains within the rules of the forum regardless of your comments. :confused:
Fair enough. Like I said, feel free to keep buying stuff you hate.

Reactions: SoSquidTaste

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I've been wanting this for years and I've definitely seen plenty of other people around here mentioning it as something they'd want. The uses are many; allowing people to free up space on iPhones without deleting message histories that may have hugely sentimental value or other importance, syncing things like message deletions, and perhaps even allowing an iCloud.com web client for those of us whose office jobs leave us stuck using a Windows computer. To each his own and all, but please just speak for yourself. There are plenty people who would enjoy such an addition.
It seems like the while end-to-end encryption piece of iMessage wouldn't quite fit in with that and thus not allow for something like this.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I don't think implementing Apple Pay directly into iMessage is the best way about it. Implementing the p2p payments through Wallet would be the better idea, right?

Reactions: gwhizkids

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't think implementing Apple Pay directly into iMessage is the best way about it. Implementing the p2p payments through Wallet would be the better idea, right?

Nope, because everyone uses messenger and a lot of people probably don't use wallet. (Explaining my point a bit via an edit)

the1payday

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Amarillo, TX

Maybe this is a first step to making Messages finally "Sync-Delete" across devices. I get so tired of having to clear out 20 or 30 old message threads on my iPhone, just to repeat the process later on my 4 other devices, since deleting a thread on one device does NOT delete it on another device.

Kobbr

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2016
I never said they created anything.
Facebook are the one you think of when it comes to social networking, were they the first or creators too?

You said more emojis followed by Apple copies Google.

jimckimmel

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
I just use Messages on iOS for texting, mostly, and don't really use the other messaging apps, but would love it if these changes mean that if I delete an SMS on my phone (or Mac that syncs them) that it deletes them on all devices. It annoys me to have to delete messages multiple times depending on what I'm using...

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
Not sure if it's already been discussed but the tittle bar looks rather large and wasteful of space impacting on space in the message feed bellow! It appears to occupy the space of two rows with the circular avatar and the contact name bellow. Is there anyway around this such as toggling off the avatar in the tittle bar?

Reactions: clunkmess

ktecac

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Does anyone know if the new iMessage features accessible by Developers will mean we can have different color bubbles in messenger? I'm tired of green/grey/blue.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Can any of the new iMessage 'features' be disabled? Such as bubble effects or text-back?

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Maybe this is a first step to making Messages finally "Sync-Delete" across devices. I get so tired of having to clear out 20 or 30 old message threads on my iPhone, just to repeat the process later on my 4 other devices, since deleting a thread on one device does NOT delete it on another device.

I just use Messages on iOS for texting, mostly, and don't really use the other messaging apps, but would love it if these changes mean that if I delete an SMS on my phone (or Mac that syncs them) that it deletes them on all devices. It annoys me to have to delete messages multiple times depending on what I'm using...

See, this is exactly what I mean. Keeping messages in sync across devices is pretty important when it comes to keeping things organized. I'm really hoping this goes live by the final release.

It seems like the while end-to-end encryption piece of iMessage wouldn't quite fit in with that and thus not allow for something like this.

How come?

Reactions: Craiguyver
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.