The New iPad Screen Brightness?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iThink Apple, Mar 21, 2012.

1. iThink Apple macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

Hi,

So I bought the New iPad White 64GB and for some reason i'm very disappointed with the Brightness. It feels like my White iPad 2 was a LOT brighter. I'm I the only one? TY

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I haven't run into a situation where it's not bright enough, so I've no idea. Let's mark this as official: Fabricated Issue Due to Buyer's Remorse #147.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

So at 100% brightness it is not as bright as you would like? I used both my iPad 1 and 2 at 50-60% and the 3 is on the same. Not a lot of difference for me.

5. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I think it's trickery.. The more natural color tones look not as bright.. It's been measured to be brighter than the iPad1/2..

There's always the chance yours is busted.

6. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Agreed...The iPad 2 is brighter

8. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

So i'm not crazy lol

----------

Maybe I have a defaulted iPad??

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

I can't imagine being able to use it above about 60%. Crazy ambient lighting I guess.

The tests I've seen had the output higher than the iPad2.

10. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Mine also seems to be a bit dimmer, i.e., I tend to leave it at 80% or so brightness.

11. TheNewEra macrumors newbie

I personally feel the complete opposite. My new iPad screen appears to be brighter than the iPad 2.

12. JumpDog macrumors newbie

Yep.

The third generation is definitely a little less bright at 100%. However, when I compared my new iPad to my friend's iPad 2, anything from 0-75% seemed equivalent.

I'm guessing that the lower maximum brightness is a result of Apple trying to keep the new iPad from overheating.

It's not that big of an issue to me, since I keep mine around 75% anyway.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's not quite as bright as the iPad 2. I wish I could recall where I read a comparison done by a respected tech news site, but I can't.

However, I turned mine up to 100% brightness and stopped outside in the sun and could still read the screen so its all good.

14. kallyq macrumors regular

Mine also isn't as bright and it is the one thing I do not like

15. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

Yes, the iPad appears to be a bit less bright (at full brightness) compared to the iPad 2. I’ve theorized that the dual LED retina display has the ability to be brighter, but also sips more power, so Apple might have capped it a bit to help keep battery life inline to what the masses are used to seeing.

16. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

Anyway to change this if the iPad gets jailbroken?

17. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

I wouldn't know as I do not use Jailbreak - and this is based off of assumptions, so I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

18. themp macrumors member

I don't think that the iPad 3 is less bright than previous versions... to me it seems more bright actually. What I have noticed is the slider sensitivity has changed. It allows you to have much more control in the dimmer range, below the half-way point. So if the slider is at 50%, the iPad 3 is definitely dimmer than the iPad 2 is at half slider, but when you move the slider past 50%, the brightness increases at a faster rate, up to or past the iPad 2 brightness. So it's like the slider is not to scale, where the slider from 0 - 50% is like brightness from 0 - 25%, whereas slider from 50% - 100% is like brightness from 25% - 100%. I'm having trouble explaining what I mean - does that make sense?

I like the iPad 3 brightness control more - it allows you to tweak the brightness a lot more when using the iPad in the dark. I always found it hard to find the brightness sweet spot for night use with the iPad or iPad 2, but have no problem with the iPad 3.

19. keviha macrumors member

FWIW....I have an Ipad 2 on one bedroom nightstand and new Ipad on the other. When docked I use them as alarm clocks. At night, it's clear my Ipad 2 is noticeably brighter at same settings...doesn't bother me or anything. YMMV.

20. badtzwang macrumors regular

www.notebookcheck.net has some measurements on the new iPad's NITS

The New iPad
    Maximum: 321 cd/m²
    Average: 303.7 cd/m²
    Brightness Distribution: 88 %
    Center on Battery: 319 cd/m²
    Black: 0.38 cd/m²
    Contrast: 839:1

The iPad 2
    Maximum: 396 cd/m²
    Average: 368.7 cd/m²
    Brightness Distribution: 89 %
    Center on Battery: 354 cd/m²
    Black: 0.42 cd/m²
    Contrast: 843:1

21. jazzy639 macrumors member

22. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have both my iPad 2 and my new iPad side-by-side and the new one isn't quite as bright. I had to turn the brightness up. I use the iPad 2 at 50% or so but the new iPad around 60% for the displays to be about the same. I'm sure it's due to the different display tech. It's more noticible to me when I'm looking at them at a bit of an angle.

But unless you use it at 100% I can't see how it's a problem.

23. klover macrumors 6502a

My new iPad is slightly brighter than my first-gen. However, it seems to be darker at the lowest setting which helps with reading.

24. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I can tell you FOR A FACT that the iPad 3 is MUCH brighter than the original iPad (iPad 1).

Contrast on the new iPad is astronomically better, colors are very bright, vivid and clear, I absolutely LOVE the display on the new iPad, it's wonderful!

25. mrkenyatta macrumors newbie

My iPad 2 is much brighter than my new iPad (3rd gen).