"the new iphone Will only be a small update" etc

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fabianjj, Apr 23, 2011.

1. fabianjj macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

A lot of people seems to be complaining about rumors and claiming the next iPhone will probably only be a spec bump (or a '4S' as some choose to call it).

As of now rumors indicate that the next iPhone will have
    The apple a5 SoC
    Perhaps a better camera
    Possible redesign
    'possible increase' in screen size
    Probably not LTE

Although we really don't know anything for certain yet

I simply wonder, to all who scream for more, what would be needed to consider the next iPhone more than a 'modest update'?
    Is it the inclusion of some cool new sensor/ lacking hardware function? Or do you think there should be more major improvements in terms of battery life/memory/processing speed and such? Or simply a redesigned case to fix the current problems with antennas and shattered glass?

Not trying to throw flamebait around here, I'm simply curious.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but did you really need to create a brand new thread here, when there's already a number of new iPhone 5 threads, even ones stating that it will be a small update.

Nobody at this point is stating that the iPhone5 will be a sizable upgrade, rather a small one

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have to agree with maflynn. No one said it will be a modest or small update. No body knows. In my opinion, all iPhone updates are "modest"

4. diamornte macrumors regular

This belief seems to mostly come from iPhone 4 owners who are looking to protect their investment.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

An "investment" is something that actually gains money over time, which a cell phone won't.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would think the inclusion of LTE would be a "major" update.

Other than this, I suspect the main focus of the iPhone 5 will really be more about unifying the CDMA and GSM/HSPA platforms so that Apple can make one device and sell it to both types of carriers.

With any luck we might finally see a 64GB model. Though I think while the A5 chip is a definite for the iPhone 5, it'll probably be single-core due to battery life concerns.

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

All this is pure speculation! We will find out once Apple announces the new product! The guessing game is always entertaining to watch.

8. dave420, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

dave420 macrumors 65816

I would be a little surprised for Apple to make a combined GSM/CDMA iPhone. They sell so many in countries without CDMA and it would be adding a cost to each one of those.
    I would be happy to get 64 GB of storage. I plan to upgrade my iPhone 4 mainly so I can get more than the 16 GB I have now. Any other new things on this year's model will just be a bonus.

9. diamornte macrumors regular

Duh, okay correction: well they feel "invested" in it, and so they have to protect it by being snarky on message boards.

10. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

We all know one thing for sure: The A5 processor.
    Other than that, everything else is just a possibility.
    Still think 4G LTE is unlikely though.

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Not actually.
    An investment is anything which will yield return in the future. A phone is actually an investment.

Regarding this topic. It's becoming redundant. The next iPhone will NOT be a minor upgrade, no iPhone upgrade is minor. Moreover, Apple isn't stupid, they will be adding drastic features to make all iPhone owners and non-iPhone owners upgrade.

12. Vizin, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  13. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

14. fabianjj thread starter macrumors 6502

My point with this thread was to try and understand what in the minds of people complaining would be more than a modest update, as processing speed and megapixels seem to be completely irrelevant to a lot of people, yet higher cellular speeds would make it a huge update?

I do realize ther eare not that many things they ciuld possibly put in there that would 'revolutionize' the phone in terms of hardware, any truly major changes are going to be on the software level.

15. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Doesn't matter what Apple comes up with... some will never be satisfied.

16. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

different things qualify as major/minor to different people.
    my 3gs is fast enough for me, and the iphone 4 had too many negative for me. same small screen, antenna issues, glass back. retina is certainly an improvement, but on the same small screen? and the 'square as a brick' shape... i'll pass, too, if the iphone 5 looks the same.

expected: a5 and a (probably dissapointing) os update

major for me: 4" screen and a rounded back much like the ipad 2.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The radio itself would add almost no cost. The biggest cost would be the R&D which it is probably cheaper to develop one phone that supports both frequencies than 2 phones.

18. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Major:
    - LTE - but it consumes a lot of battery.

- 4inch screen - but it won't be retina anymore, unless Apple says somethings like: "larger screen = held further from eyes, so it still retains the retina effect.

- iOS5

Middle:

- FM Radio

- 64GB

- Redesign to accommodate the 4 inch screen, but I like the current iPhone design.

- A5 will speed I up a bit, but android seems quicker and more snappy (when not multitasking) because it has faster animations.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Then you clearly haven't been reading up on the main page of this site. :)

Actually, the way Apple's manufacturing strategy works, it costs more to run two separate production lines and maintain distribution for phones that run on two different networks, especially if the second model is something you'll be making less of.

Buying a single combined CDMA/GSM/HSPA chipset means they're paying less per-chip for it since they're buying more of the same part from a supplier up front. On top of that, they don't have to worry about what phone is made where, or which phone is being delivered where... any of them can go to whatever carrier and it'll "just work."

Also, keep in mind that the CDMA iPhone 4 already has the multimode GSM/CDMA chip in it, they just didn't optimize the antenna or other components to make the GSM side work.

20. Tapiwa macrumors member

Well, considering most people seem to think that iPhone=>3G was a bigger jump than 3G to 3GS...
    I guess all Apple has to do is come up with a new design and the same exact internals for many people to see the iPhone 5 as a major upgrade..

It's all about appearance :rolleyes:

21. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

If I sell my iPhone 4 for more money than I bought it for sounds like a good "investment" too me. When I first bought my iP4 I had people offer me $700 for it. I would have made $400 in profit. Sold my 3GS for $400 so I got a free iP4.

Theres been a lot of people on MR say that the iPhone 5 or whatever it's going to be called a small update.

Really??? iOS 5 is going to be a big update. Do you want to go into more deep why you think will be the key features in iOS. I mean we all know theres going to be a new iOS, and I 'd say that a 64GB iPhone would be a major update hardware wise since no other phone has 64GB's