The new low-end MacBook Pro is a great value.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brookzy, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

It is no secret that Apple has been gouging us on price for the last several years, across its product line. I think this has been most acute in the MacBook space, and has certainly alienated a lot of customers along the way.

And the reason was, until this week, if you wanted the proper MacBook Pro, you were looking at spending upwards of $1799 plus tax. The price of entry for a MacBook Pro - the model that is meant to be the mainstream of the consumer premium computer market - was for many people breaching two grand. Just too much.

But this week, the proper MacBook Pro became $1299. This is the same price as the 2015 Retina Pro was that everyone loved, before the butterfly keyboards came along, and this doesn't seem to be getting the attention it deserves.

The reason the $1299 Pro is now the proper one is because it is, to the average user, indistinguishable from the $1799 model. Normally, for a ~$500, or ~30%, discount, you would expect Apple to really strip it down. But these models are now the same in so many ways:
    • They both have the Touch Bar. Like it or not, this is a premium, luxury feature that will certainly add to the bill of materials.
    • They both have Touch ID.
    • They both have the T2 chip.
    • They both have quad core processors, which, incredibly, benchmark similarly. Of course in real world use the lower TDP chip in the $1299 model will be slower, but not night and day.
    • They both have fast flash.
    • They both have the same great screen.
    The only real differences are the processor class, 128GB vs. 256GB, and two ports vs. four. For $500. They could so easily have left out the Touch Bar, Touch ID, T2 chip, and just put these new processors in and called it a day.

So thank you, Apple, for returning the proper MacBook to the affordable premium market. I think I will enjoy this machine more knowing that I feel it is a better value.

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Probably 2x2 wifi vs 3x3. I agree though, it's a big step up from the dual core it replaced.

3. Centrum, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019

Centrum macrumors newbie

Apple must have not sold as many Macbook Pro's as they expected.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

It's not a "great value", but for a Mac it is quite enticing. I'm not on the market but my wife might be soon

5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I agree this is a "decent" buy, but a 256 SSD HD would have sealed the deal as a GREAT buy

6. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Yeah that would have been great at the same price point.

7. bluespark macrumors 68000

Good argument. I'm considering one, and I wasn't before.

8. MadManDan macrumors member

MadManDan

Agreed. I'm glad I upgraded.

Mine arrived today. So far so good. I'm loving it. It's fast as hell and the battery has been great which was my biggest concern. My previous MBP had great battery life even after four years.

I upgraded from my Retina MBP 13 (Early 2015). I do miss my HDMI / USB inputs but I never used them anyway.

9. Centrum macrumors newbie

What differences did you notice after upgrading to the latest unit? I still adore my Mid '14 MBP Retina, but I would like to know the differences.

10. fokmik macrumors 68040

How to miss something that you never used?!
    Great choice
    I guess Apple will cut price for the 15” when the 16” will come

11. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Another difference is one fan vs two - this makes the base machine a lot louder under load, but yeah overall this is a really big improvement. I just wish they made it in a 15" size, I'd probably even be willing to chance the junk keyboard for ~£1,500, while I'm not if I'm shelling out closer to £3,000. In the latter case I'd really want it to last at least 3 years, for the former I'd be willing to rid myself of it after a year and move on if I experienced the well known issues.

12. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

It's good value compared to the low end MacBook Pro it replaced, but no one can justify that it represents value for money because it doesn't.

13. alias99 macrumors regular

Is the a tear down of the new one showing it has one fan?

14. Pippers macrumors newbie

Pippers

I would not say it's a good value but conpared to the old pricing the deal is better. It would be good value with 16gb ram and 256ssd.

15. TheBigApple2006 macrumors regular

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not one who things is an affordable premium computer. Apple did a good job, with this one model but overall I don't think its a great value for your money.

17. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

18. leman macrumors G3

Not really. The 2015 13" used a 28W CPU and it had a full connectivity implementation. The base 2019 13" is still using the 15W CPU and the cut-down connectivity. Yes, its a much better buy, but it also represents a cleft in features where previously we didn't have one.

19. roflc0pter macrumors regular

roflc0pter

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How so?

21. roflc0pter macrumors regular

roflc0pter

The single fan that fal brought up. I got the new base model yesterday and will need to pay close attention to the thermals and noise level

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see, thanks for the clarification. The 13" has had a single fan for like forever though hasn't it?

23. TheBigApple2006 macrumors regular

24. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

isn't the new model as fast as the 15" from 2016? Seems like a big step up for the 13's especially for the base model.

25. Herrpod macrumors regular

Herrpod

A couple of the videos I saw yesterday where people were running tests mentioned that the fan's sound signature was loud/annoying.