Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
I hope it don't bend. :)

From what I have read the front pocket is unsuitable. This guy has got it right, he seems to have no problems with his iPhone 6 Plus:

iPad-in-Pants_thumb.jpg

I hope the new Mini is similarly suitable for transporting without getting your hands sweaty.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Lat posts were entertaining so I`ve decided to bring some discussion ideas on render :D:D:D

Remove the bezel from the screen. :) Tall will work for AC wifi but......its probably going to look like your earlier stuff with some antennas or they may think on the lines of the NUC and hope for the best and plan on a ethernet connection since it is a desktop.

Vukmon

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
Guys, what do you think about my next idea :D In general, shape is similar to original Mac Mini, but with round sides so it follows Mac Pro design philosophy. (you could put them in server racks like current Mac Minis). All internal components could be placed in internal structure that folds out of black shell.

macmini_4.jpg

Last edited:

radiohed

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
The longer I wait, the more I realize that my 2010 Mac Mini is still working just fine. I added a 256 SSD and made my own Fusion Drive. It is fast enough and I never have problems with it. I still prefer using my Mac Mini over my iPad. I wish I still had a click wheel iPod though! :D

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Guys, what do you thing about my next idea :D In general, shape is similar to original Mac Mini, but with round sides so it follows Mac Pro design philosophy. (you could put them in server racks like current Mac Minis). All internal components could be placed in internal structure that folds out of black shell.

[url=http://s29.postimg.org/tykzbwxar/macmini_1.jpg]Image[/url][url=http://s29.postimg.org/9i9yton0z/macmini_2.jpg]Image[/url][url=http://s29.postimg.org/jd13zwqz7/macmini_3.jpg]Image[/url][url=http://s29.postimg.org/o0761oec3/macmini_4.jpg]Image[/url]

You make some nice renderings. The problem I see is manufacturing. The cost of machining a block of aluminum is a very expensive process. Even extruding is costly.
I think Apple will try to make the enclosure as cheap as they can but still aluminum.
My opinion is it will be a small box with some subtle radiuses around it. Nothing too extreme.
The more I read about the Core M Broadwell and the upcoming fanless MacBook the more I can see them using that processor in both a new Nano Mac Mini and the laptop.
It's actually getting better benchmarks in CPU and GPU than a Haswell I5.
We may end up with a NUC size Mini.

--------------
This is a small discussion on Broadwell Core M for the Surface Pro 4 but there are 3 variations of this chip being
made.
http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...ect-candidate-for-the-surface-4-pro-1265761/1
Could Apple be planing this as a cheaper entry level Mini?

Last edited:

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
From what I have read the front pocket is unsuitable. This guy has got it right, he seems to have no problems with his iPhone 6 Plus:

I hope the new Mini is similarly suitable for transporting without getting your hands sweaty.

Wow that iphone 6 plus is bigger than I thought. I just cancelled the order and will order the normal 6. Thanks for the heads up, saved me a headache.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
That's it! Like a skinny Mac Pro laying on its side.

A not entirely irrational form. Especially if it could be sized to fit into standard racks, while allowing decent ac Wi-fi.

The Wi-fi aerial is seems now one the main limitations and/or determinants of any future redesign of the Mini form, along with thermals, and storage form (stock HDD v custom SSD).

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Exponential or what.

This thread is almost certainly going to reach the fourth thousand by the end of the month, about five weeks after the third thousand rolled over.

The new Mac Mini is almost certainly coming by the end of... this month……. next month…...… this year……………..next year………… maybe even a thousand days after the current one rolled out.

iFitzgerald

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal
While my machines are still able to perform the tasks I need from them, they are getting slower...I really wanted to get a new one to experience a great performance bump (the iMac in particular is starting to get a bit too slow for some tasks), especially with 16Gb of RAM and an SSD.

If it weren't for that damn HD 4000 I would've already pulled the trigger but as it stands, no way, and I'm starting to lose interest in the Mini altogether, which quite honestly doesn't make much sense since I still want a new machine.

At this time, I honestly think we won't see a new Mini for a few more months, if it all. And that thing comes with soldered RAM and soldered Storage I will be very very disappointed...

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
This thread is almost certainly going to reach the fourth thousand by the end of the month, about five weeks after the third thousand rolled over.

The new Mac Mini is almost certainly coming by the end of... this month……. next month…...… this year……………..next year………… maybe even a thousand days after the current one rolled out.

My conclusion is that we need to figure out a way to bend the Mini. The bending iPhone6+ thread got 100 posts per hour...

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

The thread is doing a serious community service. It keeps our madness off the streets, and confined to the intertubes, where it belongs.

Therefore it is vital that you do not step away from the keyboard.

None of us can even start reintegrating into polite society until either a new model of Mini is released, or it is officially pronounced dead.

You know it makes sense.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
yep it the sonnet, not cheap but worth it if you have rack equipment!:)

one thing i was wandering about these things, is how about temperatures. does it keep cool in that small space?

i know sonnet tech says that there is good air flow but from your experience what are you idle/load temps?

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Guys, what do you think about my next idea :D In general, shape is similar to original Mac Mini, but with round sides so it follows Mac Pro design philosophy. (you could put them in server racks like current Mac Minis). All internal components could be placed in internal structure that folds out of black shell.

If only Apple had the foresight to make the mini with that removable tray. I don't think they realise how bigger deal it would be if they actually made something for the enthusiasts for once rather than telling us what they think we need. That act alone would earn them more loyalty with the die-hards on threads like this than any thinner, lighter and bendable (don't know if that's an english word) iPhone ever will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.