Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanpither

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
I'm not sure if refurbs have been regularly on the Online Store for the Mac Mini, but watching the Australian Online Store I don't remember seeing any. Apple just put up all models of Mac Mini, plus some BTO's (256GB SSD, etc). Does this happen regularly for the Mac Mini in other countries?

Australia doesn't get (or atleast so infrequently as to not matter) iMacs or Mac Pros on the refurb store.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I'm out. I'm getting a REALLY good deal on a used 2013 iMac as a stop gap computer for my son, to replace the 2008 iMac he is currently using to play minecraft/roblox/youtube.

I'm getting rid of both 2008 iMacs. Mine was just a hold over from prior age, as I've switched over to using the 2012 cMBP for everything now. I'm also specing out a PC tower with 8-core CPU and nVidia 10** GPU. It's amazing what you can get on the other side, for a fraction of the cost.

The misses is the only one I'm not sure yet what to do about. Her needs are minimum, but is using a 15" MBP and has asked for something lighter. 2015 MBAir? The Macbooks were under-powered since day one, so I'm hesitant to even get one.

Just disgusted/disappointed at this point.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I'm not sure if refurbs have been regularly on the Online Store for the Mac Mini, but watching the Australian Online Store I don't remember seeing any. Apple just put up all models of Mac Mini, plus some BTO's (256GB SSD, etc). Does this happen regularly for the Mac Mini in other countries?

Australia doesn't get (or atleast so infrequently as to not matter) iMacs or Mac Pros on the refurb store.

There's been a lot in the UK refurb store in recent weeks. I'd much rather than newer spec kit than a refurb at this point though since we in the UK have had a 20% increase in prices thanks to the exchange rate. If Apple are going to sell gear at the new prices I'd rather have better GPU and systems.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
You are not secure in the mac ecosystem just because of xcode.
If apple wanted to they could suddenly roll out xcode for ios. ios devs would switch to ipad pros overnight. Apple could stop updating the entire mac line. The video editing people are gone already so they wouldn't complain much. The graphic design people will switch to ipad pros as soon as photoshop is on ios- thats what they wanted anyways something you can draw on. There were never gamers so they wouldn't complain. Coffee shop people and white collar type people run old macs anyway so they will slowly replace macs with ipad pros over the next 6 years. Nobody will care if the mac line dies except a couple nerds around here.
I think you underestimate the amount of fine detail photoshop work being done on HUGE monitors. An iPad Pro would be like all the iPhone 6s/7s users going back to an iPhone 3GS. Something you can draw on for fun, is WAY different than pumping out professional work on a daily basis.

And your assumption that ditching Macs for iPad Pros "they will slowly replace macs with ipad pros over the next 6 years" assume A LOT of improvements are made to the iPad Pro in the next 6 years. If there is one thing Apple has shown us, is that the OS on the iPad is meant to be a blown up iPhone OS, and nothing more.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
....The misses is the only one I'm not sure yet what to do about. Her needs are minimum, but is using a 15" MBP and has asked for something lighter. 2015 MBAir? The Macbooks were under-powered since day one, so I'm hesitant to even get one.

Just disgusted/disappointed at this point.

Why not get one of the new Samsung Note 9 or LG Gram? Both have 15" screens that are more than half a pound lighter than the 13" MacBook Air (around 2.2-2.4 lbs) and have IPS displays with bezels that aren't the size of a picture frame, and they both have USB-C and all the other ports people actually use.

Plus the Note 9 15" is quad-core and offers an optional dGPU (2.7 lbs then), has a 500-nit "outdoor mode" brightness, TB3, and starts at $1200.

Last edited:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
She doesn't need a quad core, nor a 15", which opens things up as far as options go. I buried the lead there, but her needs really are minimal.

I'll wait until my son is setup, and then focus on her replacement.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

Fellow Aussie here.

I have been keeping a casual eye on our refurb store for a few years, check it maybe 2-3 times a week, and it is rare to see Minis, iMacs, or Mac Pros there. Of late it has just been wall-to-wall laptops.

My Mini is a refurb 2012 quad that I got about 3.5 years back for $750, and it is still running fine. By far the best computer deal I have ever scored. :)

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Power house in a reasonable design size.
Height: 380mm – Width: 176mm – Depth: 200mm
Yes. That's about all that's needed for a reasonably powerful desktop nowadays.
As I mentioned somewhere, Apple could happily merge mini and Pro in a design this size, and please a big pile of us old time power users; with a single machine.
I'd like a cast iron case too, but that's just aesthetics.

Reactions: Adam Warlock

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes. That's about all that's needed for a reasonably powerful desktop nowadays.
As I mentioned somewhere, Apple could happily merge mini and Pro in a design this size, and please a big pile of us old time power users; with a single machine.
I'd like a cast iron case too, but that's just aesthetics.

I'd be more into a vintage Soviet Union pot metal case myself.....

Reactions: Partron22

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Not sure if this has been mentioned but here...

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/one#

Power house in a reasonable design size.

Yeah, just what I want…. geek friendly, in yer face and grunty, can be tinkered with (to some extent), great for gaming, no MacOS and Mac Apps…. Not.

The Mac Mini I have now sits discretely under a monitor. Just a base model 2009, with an additional 4 GB RAM installed but otherwise original, it remains hassle free and fine for my humble needs. If it packs a sad, the current 2014 Mac mini would be an OK replacement (and cheaper than my 2009; installing iWork was an additional cost back then)….. And almost certainly likewise for the new Mac Mini, which is almost certainly coming.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
One of those MUST be hackintoshable.
Hackintosh is a great project for geeks who like to meddle.

The office geek where I work likes other makes of computer because he likes to meddle, but prefers OS X / MacOS when it comes to getting things done for what we do. So do I. He has hacked one of the office computers, and after several weeks of mucking around, he now has it running Mavericks quite well. Safari is great, way more snappy than the browsers on the Windows 10 computers.

Being more of an average Joe, I am not interested in tinkering with hardware or software. I just want to do stuff, and with a Mac I can do just that with minimal hassle for my humble needs.

My early 2009 Mac Mini has been into a workshop twice. The first time was in 2012 to install an additional 4 GB of RAM and upgrade OS X to Mountain Lion, which I am still running. With a very slow, not very reliable internet connection at the time, and no credit card, doing the upgrade myself was impractical…… the all up cost of about $120 was cheap at the price. The second time was late 2015 when the fans started to crank up to full speed quite often. A dust out, and a general once over had it running sweetly again, at a cost of about $40. They suggested that, as the original HDD is still running OK, I should just leave it be. If it fails, the repair shop can install a new one in a day or so.

In another year or two, by which time the new Mac Mini will almost certainly have come, it may be that I decide replacement is more cost effective than maintenance or repair.

Reactions: Boyd01

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I prefer computer cases from the Vault.

434e96f4db6be2d6b6e3121e2f8da0b8.jpg

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I was choosing between the BitFenix and this:

1cfaf7e9c8ac110101df679484062e53.jpg

Someone got this beauty first though :( so I had no choice.

Is this still the denial stage for those who believe Mac Mini is almost certainly coming, is it bargaining or have we moved to anger and depression?

Reactions: DesertSurfer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.