Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
When Apple started supporting external GPUs via Thunderbolt (PCIe x4) there was a lot of discussion about PCIe bottlenecks. In the end most said it wasn't a big issue for most use cases. If you do a search on PCIe x16 vs x8 there are reports how doubling the bandwidth makes negligible difference in most apps.

Yes, unified memory helps but everything else Apple did for the M1's CPU and GPUs helps performance more.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
When Apple started supporting external GPUs via Thunderbolt (PCIe x4) there was a lot of discussion about PCIe bottlenecks. In the end most said it wasn't a big issue for most use cases. If you do a search on PCIe x16 vs x8 there are reports how doubling the bandwidth makes negligible difference in most apps.

Yes, unified memory helps but everything else Apple did for the M1's CPU and GPUs helps performance more.
The bottleneck is mainly from the physical latency between going from the internal busses, through the thunderbolt subsystem to the GPU and then out to either the external display or passing back through the thunderbolt subsystem, into the display buffer of the internal GPU configuration, and then to your display. A desktop just uses a native bus to the GPU, and then to your display.

The hit on performance greatly depends on the task you are doing and the processor you have as well. It seems that from my own usage and research (Currently use a vega 64 eGPU), gaming has the biggest impact on performance. Video workloads are hit or miss depending on the app you use.

• Love
Reactions: Maximara

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Hi,

i work in an Apple Reseller and like many of you i'm waiting for the mini 2013 refresh.

From monday the two major Apple suppliers in Italy are suddenly and completely out of stock of minis. I know that this happen from time to time, but the timing is no coincidence.

Trust me, a new mini is coming next week, or at least we have solid evidence to believe it.
Thanks to GabrieleR for starting this epic thread 8 years ago today. While the solid evidence has often been a little sketchy, the timing predictions have been somewhat speculative, and there have been suggestions that Apple will kill the Mini (have been since 2007), the new Mac Minis have continued to come, and will almost certainly continue to do so.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
I guess the biggest split here is those who feel there will be an Apple silicon mid-to-high-end Mac mini (with the M1 Pro / M1 Max SoCs); and those who feel Apple will keep the Mac mini "dumbed-down" with only the entry-to-mid-level Mn-series SoCs...

I am of the mind that the continued existence of the 2018 Intel Mac mini on the Apple website would be a strong indicator for a more powerful Apple silicon Mac mini...!

Last edited:

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
I am of the mind that the continued existence of the 2018 Intel Mac mini on the Apple website would be a strong indicator for a more powerful Mac mini...!
Exactly. If they didn’t want to update the mini, they would have killed off the 2018 models when they announced the M1 mini. It’s now almost 4 years old. There’s also other (less concrete) evidence that hints towards a more pro-focused mini.

I think the only real reason people think the mini will be kept as a low-level Mac is because people believe Apple wants all of us to spend more money on something like a MacBook Pro. But this doesn’t make much sense. If it were true, why did Apple ever create a pro-focused mini back in 2018? And then update it in 2020 (pre-M1).

Also people and businesses have form factor needs and budgets. If I have $3,000 to spend on a Mac, that doesn’t just change because I can’t get a mini. All that means is now I have to spend that $3,000 on something else - where I would get less RAM and less storage - and be less happy. Apple didn’t make any more money off that transaction, and just pissed me off.

Or they could just make the mini, I’ll happily spend my $3,000 and get the mini I want, and Apple still profits the same, retaining a happy customer.

Reactions: Boil

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Exactly. If they didn’t want to update the mini, they would have killed off the 2018 models when they announced the M1 mini...

...Or they could just make the mini, I’ll happily spend my $3,000 and get the mini I want, and Apple still profits the same, retaining a happy customer.

There's enough 'power' users now who have built multi-screen, multi-external drive, multi-accessory desktop setups centered around a higher spec mini that to erase that niche in the Mac lineup would result in a number of seriously annoyed dedicated Mac users. If you've already got two large displays on an arm mounting, a carefully chosen keyboard and touchpad/mouse, a number of peripherals, a multi-drive external enclosure, and it all depends on having a mini at the centre... why annoy those dedicated Apple fans by deleting the core computer line they rely on? The cries of 'Apple doesn't care about power users' would all start up again, and Apple have shown in recent years they do care about the serious user market.

And from a sales perspective, I can't see that a higher spec Mini is costing much in the way of other sales. The price gap to the full Mac Pro is still huge, those two groups of buyers don't really overlap. And ditto for iMac buyers - those people want a beautifully built all-in-one with matching accessories. They're not going to rush out and start buying separate screens, keyboards, trackpads, etc etc just because the mini is slightly cheaper (which it actually isn't if you're also adding all the other bits from scratch).

An upper-spec Mini has it's own market demographic, doesn't cost much in sales from other segments of the Apple line-up, and keeps a dedicated prosumer fan base happy. Why wouldn't they continue to make and sell it?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
If you check out Apple Support>Technical Specifications>Desktops you’ll see that Apple has separated the release of a new iMac and a new Mac Mini by about a half a year or more. Also the TOTL iMac always bests the earlier Mac Mini. I suspect this will continue to be the case in one way or another.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
Exactly. If they didn’t want to update the mini, they would have killed off the 2018 models when they announced the M1 mini. It’s now almost 4 years old. There’s also other (less concrete) evidence that hints towards a more pro-focused mini.

I think the only real reason people think the mini will be kept as a low-level Mac is because people believe Apple wants all of us to spend more money on something like a MacBook Pro. But this doesn’t make much sense. If it were true, why did Apple ever create a pro-focused mini back in 2018? And then update it in 2020 (pre-M1).

Also people and businesses have form factor needs and budgets. If I have $3,000 to spend on a Mac, that doesn’t just change because I can’t get a mini. All that means is now I have to spend that $3,000 on something else - where I would get less RAM and less storage - and be less happy. Apple didn’t make any more money off that transaction, and just pissed me off.

Or they could just make the mini, I’ll happily spend my $3,000 and get the mini I want, and Apple still profits the same, retaining a happy customer.
Or you would choose another platform (Windows/(Linux)), and be lost to the Mac eco system entirely.

It was fun to see people posting shots of their mini setups, because you can see that even those that frequent these forums and choose to post pictures of their cleaned desks actually DO STUFF on their minis and typically have a plethora of gear plugged into it.

These aren’t computer imbeciles, they could make any OS do the job, they simply prefer MacOS as long as the systems don’t get too expensive or compromised.

A bunch of course choose the easier path and buy a Windows box. But Apple could win an unknown but probably not insignificant number by MacOS standards by simply shipping decent desktop computers. They have the low end desktop covered by the current Mini, but while nice it is a quite constrained little box in terms of connectivity and expandability. Higher RAM options, more I/O bandwidth (and preferably m.2 storage) would increase the appeal a lot. Add-on GPU options are probably a pipe dream at this point, but would fit the concept nicely. Unfortunately it doesn’t feel as if Apples designers really want a Mini, the impression is that the model is a rather grudging acknowledgement that some people are computer users primarily.

I’ve used different computer systems in parallel for a long time, MacOS being part of the mix since 1985. I don’t need to use MacOS, I just like it. But at this point a decent Mini is really the only option, and Apple has yet to even offer one. A number of friends and aquaintances are in the same situation, and most of them has drawn the conclusion that thay simply aren’t part of Apples demographic and has moved to alternative platforms. Which is both unfortunate and unnecessary.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I’ve used different computer systems in parallel for a long time, MacOS being part of the mix since 1985.

Got my first Mac in 1985, had an Apple ][ since 1978. It would really be counterproductive to switch to Windows now. I got rid of my Windows PC in the summer of 2020 when I got a 2018 Mini. It runs Windows 10 in Parallels a lot better than my old HP Desktop did. It also runs Mountain Lion and Sierra VM's for my (very expensive) legacy Mac software.

Can't really do any of this on Apple Silicon (yet) and I'm still more than happy with my 2018 Mini so there is no rush for me to upgrade. Suits me fine for Apple to delay the "pro" Mini for a long time - that means my intel Mini will be supported longer.

So, I'll just sit back and watch the show. Hope that the rest of you get what you want, although it might be a "careful what you wish for" thing, with a pro model costing a lot more that people expect. :)

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Can't really do any of this on Apple Silicon (yet) and I'm still more than happy with my 2018 Mini so there is no rush for me to upgrade. Suits me fine for Apple to delay the "pro" Mini for a long time - that means my intel Mini will be supported longer.

So, I'll just sit back and watch the show. Hope that the rest of you get what you want, although it might be a "careful what you wish for" thing, with a pro model costing a lot more that people expect. :)

They cannot really delay it beyond the end of 2022, with the whole two year transition thing, but I doubt there would be any reason to delay it that long...

I would expect M1 Pro / M1 Max Mac mini models to start at the price of the current base 2018 Intel Mac mini, US$1.1k; and a fully loaded M1 Max-powered Mac mini to top out around US$3k (maybe more like US$3.5k with maxxing out the overpriced SSD)...?

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
They cannot really delay it beyond the end of 2022, with the whole two year transition thing, but I doubt there would be any reason to delay it that long...

I would expect M1 Pro / M1 Max Mac mini models to start at the price of the current base 2018 Intel Mac mini, US$1.1k; and a fully loaded M1 Max-powered Mac mini to top out around US$3k (maybe more like US$3.5k with maxxing out the overpriced SSD)...?
The final Intel Coffee Lake shipment is meant to have been in June this year. Apple are still offering the CPU in the Intel Minis without much delay at the moment, I think this has to mean that Apple will be looking to discontinue the Intel Mini within 6 months unless stocks are not running down fast.

Price wise it'll be difficult to call. I can't see Apple offering less than 16Gb RAM and 512Gb storage with M1 Max and M1 Pro Minis - to match the 14" MacBook Pro. Considering a 'base' 14" costs $1999 with that spec, how much would losing the battery, screen, charger, and keyboard save?

The Current model for $1099 comes with just 8Gb RAM, a like for like spec would cost $1299 with 16Gb RAM in the Intel model.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
The final Intel Coffee Lake shipment is meant to have been in June this year. Apple are still offering the CPU in the Intel Minis without much delay at the moment, I think this has to mean that Apple will be looking to discontinue the Intel Mini within 6 months unless stocks are not running down fast.

So a Spring 2022 launch for M1 Pro / Max Mac minis & 27" iMacs...!

Price wise it'll be difficult to call. I can't see Apple offering less than 16Gb RAM and 512Gb storage with M1 Max and M1 Pro Minis - to match the 14" MacBook Pro. Considering a 'base' 14" costs $1999 with that spec, how much would losing the battery, screen, charger, and keyboard save?

Along with the trackpad, six-speaker array, mic array, 1080p webcam...

And keep in mind the new MBPs have those expensive mini LED / ProMotion displays...

And a MacBook Pro chassis seems like it would cost more to produce than a Mac mini chassis...

The Current model for $1099 comes with just 8Gb RAM, a like for like spec would cost $1299 with 16Gb RAM in the Intel model.

M1 Pro SoC with 16GB RAM & 512GB SSD for US$1,299 seems alright...?

• Love
Reactions: norwaypianoman

Christian Schumacher

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2015
iu.png

Last edited:

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Or there will be a series of Mac mini, Mac Nano and Mac Pico variations. This Pico will have about the 1/20 of power of the original M1 chip. ;)

And you will have to use your credit card (of course wirelessly) to power it on.

Reactions: MarkC426

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
^😄
and maybe a Mac Max Pro, or Mac Pro Max Mini, or Mad Max even. Delineating the line between segments and bringing the Mad in there too, besides the maybe too vaguely defined pro and consumer segments only.
1638993420658.png

1638993844120.png

Reactions: MarkC426

archimacpro

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
NZ
I don't want something too small / thin - It has to look good on the desktop & make the statement that we are a company that has high ideals. Given that it will have M1prox II, performance is a given.It has to have a handle (a la Trashcan)

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I don't want something too small / thin - It has to look good on the desktop & make the statement that we are a company that has high ideals. Given that it will have M1prox II, performance is a given.It has to have a handle (a la Trashcan)
Given Apple is letting up on its right to repair stance (likely it found how hard it was for them to fix their devices) I think the go even thinner era is done once what ever is currently in the pipeline goes public.

• Love

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
I hope the speculation about the 2021 MBP chips in a Mini comes true.

Maybe it’s naive of me, I know nothing about the life of a video editor, but lugging a 2021 MBP around doesn’t sound appealing. How much editing do they do on-site? Is that a real thing? These laptops seem like they’re destined for clamshell mode 90% of their life. And given that, it’s a waste of a very nice display.

With that in mind, the MBP 2021 specs seems perfect for the Mini; more so than the MBP, what with the Mini’s cavernous shell and resultant thermal headroom.

A M1 Pro 10/16 16GB in a Mac Mini would be a very nice rig for any video editor.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
I hope the speculation about the 2021 MBP chips in a Mini comes true.

With that in mind, the MBP 2021 specs seems perfect for the Mini; more so than the MBP, what with the Mini’s cavernous shell and resultant thermal headroom.

A M1 Pro 10/16 16GB in a Mac Mini would be a very nice rig for any video editor.

A M1 Max 10/24 32GB in a Mac mini would be a very nice rig for any Blender user!

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
M1 Pro / Max Mac mini pricing...

• 13" M1 MacBook Pro ( 8-core CPU / 8-core GPU / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD ) - $1300
  • M1 Mac mini ( 8-core CPU / 8-core GPU / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD ) - $700
M1 Mac mini is about 55% of the cost of the 13" M1 MacBook Pro...!

If we carry this over to the M1 Pro / Max lineup...
  • 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro ( 8-core CPU / 14-core GPU / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD ) - $2000

M1 Pro Mac mini with the same specs, but we will guesstimate 60% of the MBP cost...?
  • M1 Pro Mac mini ( 8-core CPU / 14-core GPU / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD ) - $1200

Now we add the upgrades...!
  • M1 Max ( 10-core CPU / 24-core GPU / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD ) - $1100
  • M1 Max ( 10-core CPU / 32-core GPU / 64GB RAM / 1TB SSD ) - $1700

Not including sales tax, the M1 Max Mac mini pricing should look like this...?
  • M1 Max Mac mini ( 10-core CPU / 24-core GPU / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD ) - $2300
  • M1 Max Mac mini ( 10-core CPU / 32-core GPU / 64GB RAM / 1TB SSD ) - $2900
Add an extra $100 for 10 Gigabit Ethernet...!

Last edited:

trickster is meaningless

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2016
Basingstoke, UK
M1 Pro / Max Mac mini pricing...

• 13" M1 MacBook Pro (8-core CPU / 8-core GPU / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD)- $1300
  • M1 Mac mini (8-core CPU / 8-core GPU / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD) - $700
M1 Mac mini is about 55% of the cost of the 13" M1 MacBook Pro...!

If we carry this over to the M1 Pro / Max lineup...
  • 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro (8-core CPU / 14-core GPU / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD) - $2000

M1 Pro Mac mini with the same specs, but we will guesstimate 60% of the MBP cost...?
  • M1 Pro Mac mini (8-core CPU / 14-core GPU / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD) - $1200

Now we add the upgrades...!
  • M1 Max (10-core CPU / 24-core GPU / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD) - $1100
  • M1 Max (10-core CPU / 32-core GPU / 64GB RAM / 1TB SSD) - $1700

Not including sales tax, the M1 Max Mac mini pricing should look like this...?
  • M1 Max Mac mini (10-core CPU / 24-core GPU / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD) - $2300
  • M1 Max Mac mini (10-core CPU / 32-core GPU / 64GB RAM / 1TB SSD) - $2900
Add an extra $100 for 10 Gigabit Ethernet...!

I hope that's right, but its a more complex equation as the M1 MBP had very low costs for re-tooling as it was the same chassis as the Intel ones. You could also deduce that the Mini LED screen costs more than the old MBP screen so the price could (but probably won't) be even lower.

The problem with the Mac mini is it doesn't always benefit with the economy of scale seen in notebooks and AIOs. Adding that to the retooling for a redesigned chassis that is rumoured and the weird external power supply, I'm expecting it to have a premium over those prices unfortunately. Knowing Apple as well, they tend to do something unpopular during a refresh so I'd never be surprised if Mini got fewer configuration options than the MBP unless they rename it with "Pro".

I'd be interested to see when the new iMac "Pro" is released if the internals are modularised to allow a long thin board in an iMac to be stacked somehow in a Mac mini. This kind of production saving could be really powerful for Apple now they have control over the whole tech stack.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
I feel the (rumored) Mac mini chassis redesign might be specifically for the Mn-series SoCs, the low-to-mid level offerings...

The current Mac mini chassis would be for the Mn Pro / Max-series SoCs...

Possibility of a taller Mac mini (Pro) chassis, intended for Mn Max Duo SoCs; increased room for a larger heat sink & fan(s)...?

Mn-series models will retain the standard Mac mini name...

Mn Pro / Max / Max Duo models will gain the "Pro" suffix...

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I feel the (rumored) Mac mini chassis redesign might be specifically for the Mn-series SoCs, the low-to-mid level offerings...

The current Mac mini chassis would be for the Mn Pro / Max-series SoCs...

Possibility of a taller Mac mini (Pro) chassis, intended for Mn Max Duo SoCs; increased room for a larger heat sink & fan(s)...?

Mn-series models will retain the standard Mac mini name...

Mn Pro / Max / Max Duo models will gain the "Pro" suffix...
I'd be shocked if they reuse the current chassis yet again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.