Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFitzgerald

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal
Not to be picky ;) but the area recovered would be MUCH bigger than a Post-it note.

Current mini: 388 sq cm (19.7 x 19.7)

3"x3" mini: 57.76 sq cm (7.6 x 7.6)

So it would be roughly 1/6th the size and considering the standard Post-it size is 3"x3" the recovered real estate would be 5 Post-it notes.

Curse my awful understanding of areas and volumes, you are right! xD

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
Curse my awful understanding of areas and volumes, you are right! xD

Its hard to conceptualize, a 3" x 3" footprint would be tiny! For comparison, the Intel NUC is 4.6" x 4.4" (117mm x 112mm) and only 35mm in height, the same height as the current Mini. And the NUC is by far and away the smallest computer I've ever used.

I can't imagine any CPU beyond the U series processors from the MBA being able to operate in such a small volume, similar to the NUC. To be honest, I think those processor models would be more than enough for the vast majority of Mini users. Of course, those using quad core and server models would be left out since U series are dual core only but I wouldn't put it past Apple to make such a decision.

On the bright side the HD5000 is pretty capable, though it doesn't support 4k 60 Hz; perhaps Broadwill will enable 4k output. Intel roadmaps indicate U series processors will have GT3e (the future equivalent of Iris Pro) when Skylake comes, so surely at that point along with DDR4 and Thunderbolt 3 a hypothetical high end Mini would be pretty powerful. But such a machine would be around 18 months away at this point. This thread could be 5,000 posts by then!

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
With updated Haswell processors coming for rMBP's instead of Broadwell It may be a sign that the Mini may get a Haswell this year as well in the same enclosure and possible Broadwell late next year in a redesign.
I came to thread to see what you had to say on the front page story ! The optimist in me hopes we may see a Haswell Mini now. However with my desire to replace my iPad1 and iPhone 4S I don't think I can afford a new Mini this year :( I suppose I would imagine the improvements to the iPad and iPhone will be more significant relatively than the Mini vs my 2009

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
I came to thread to see what you had to say on the front page story ! The optimist in me hopes we may see a Haswell Mini now. However with my desire to replace my iPad1 and iPhone 4S I don't think I can afford a new Mini this year :( I suppose I would imagine the improvements to the iPad and iPhone will be more significant relatively than the Mini vs my 2009

I can't speak definitively because the last Mini I owned was the very first model, haha. However, I am considering buying the 2012 mini this week.

But I will say…..you will DEFINITELY see more significance in upgrading your iPad. I would consider waiting until the conference in Sept/Oct when they announce the iPhone 6 and more than likely iPad additions. But YES! Upgrade those first!!

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville

I'm going the same way. IPad and IPhone and and wait for Skylake. I mostly use my Mini as HTPC and it works fine for 1080p and it will be a couple of years for 4k to come down in price where I can afford it.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Honestly, the current Mac Mini with a quad core would probably meet my needs (and would feel pretty whizzy given that I'm now on a mid-2010 dual core). But I just can't bring myself to drop the dollars knowing the mini's current state is getting close to two years old, that a Haswell update is very likely on the way, and that the graphics are likely to improve significantly. Been itching for an upgrade, really, for more than a year now; if I'd known I'd still be waiting a year later, I'd have already pulled the trigger.

iFitzgerald

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal
When I look at the current Mini, quite honestly the only thing that really makes me twitch is that damn graphics chip...if it had at least the Iris Pro I probably would start counting coppers :)

But, risking a little little bit of off topic. If the Mac Mini was updated with an Iris Pro, would it be enough for it to:

1 - Drive two 24" 1080p monitors with no lag/problems? (I think the current graphics chip can already do that, but I'm just asking to be safe)

2 - Run Counter Strike: Global Offensive (during gun fights) and World of Warcraft (during boss/pvp fights) at 100+ FPS?

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
WHY? It's a great computer, just because you dont use it doesn't mean it should be discounted.

The fact that it has been around for as long as it has without an upgrade is an interesting point. It certainly goes against their usual process of keeping the processor and graphics up to date. Guess they must still be selling in good enough numbers. However the lack of update comes across as lack of interest especially when the Airs were recently updated and they used similar internals for the new imac. I reckon if they could've got the new imac price down low enough they probably would have said bye-bye to the mini.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
The fact that it has been around for as long as it has without an upgrade is an interesting point. It certainly goes against their usual process of keeping the processor and graphics up to date. Guess they must still be selling in good enough numbers. However the lack of update comes across as lack of interest especially when the Airs were recently updated and they used similar internals for the new imac. I reckon if they could've got the new imac price down low enough they probably would have said bye-bye to the mini.
Unlikely Apple ditches the mini, while we could see an Lower entry price for the Mac line, remember Wincraps sells now full desktops for less than 250$, and Mac mini equivalent for less than 450.

The Wincrap pc marker is falling, but this tendency could reach Macs if no lower cost units are released, so the cheaper iMac it's an response to Lenovo/HP/Dell cheap AIO. So imply an newer lower espec Mac mini is coming.

Last edited:

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Why exactly are you people posting pics of a circular mac mini? The Mac Pro needed the large fan, the mini doesn't.

Also, Apple likes small and thin, and the NUC has killed the Mac Mini in those:

Intel-NUC-003.jpg

IMG_8409.jpg

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
It goes on and on and on...and nothing happens, and nothing will. This is really starting to get a little sad.

They do have 12-step programs for this sort of disorder, you know. Just sayin'...

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
Why exactly are you people posting pics of a circular mac mini? The Mac Pro needed the large fan, the mini doesn't.

You should take the picture with the NUC power brick next to the NUC on the mac mini. Mac mini's power adapter is inside the mini while NUC's is outside.

----------

It goes on and on and on...and nothing happens, and nothing will. This is really starting to get a little sad.

They do have 12-step programs for this sort of disorder, you know. Just sayin'...

Step 1: Release an updated haswell mac mini ....

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
E-mail set to me by OWC Larry (Other World Computing) and even though they have a dog in the fight by selling parts I have to totally agree.

"Pretty much since the last PowerMac G4 and G5s went away and we entered the brave new world of Intel based Macs, I've been asking Apple to give us a 'Max Mac mini'... something in the lower cost range – but with some basic expandability. Today that would be something with a couple drive bays – 2.5" is fine to keep it cool and more compact... a couple PCIe 16X PCIe Slots (which truly does kick up the power support requirements)... how about two Thunderbolt ports, USB 3 ports, give us a FireWire 800 port or two (I'd argue the audience for these definitely have FireWire devices to benefit, I certainly do), and four full-size memory slots (would love 8, but 4 is practical) for up to 64GB of memory. Built in WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth – those are all givens of course. I think a Mac like this would sell well for a little more than the current Mac mini in base + support those that, whether they do it or not, want to have that upgradeability support for the future."

Full editorial letter:http://images.macsales.com/bl/newsletter/07-22-2014OWCTipsnDeals.html?source=td14.7&APC=ReaderSPC

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona

I don't know why people want such tiny computers. I like the mini because it is small and compact. Unfortunately the mini is already too small. I does not have enough room for better graphics and needs more space on the back for additional ports.

Small is nice, but useful is nicer.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
E-mail set to me by OWC Larry (Other World Computing) and even though they have a dog in the fight by selling parts I have to totally agree.

"Pretty much since the last PowerMac G4 and G5s went away and we entered the brave new world of Intel based Macs, I've been asking Apple to give us a 'Max Mac mini'... something in the lower cost range – but with some basic expandability. Today that would be something with a couple drive bays – 2.5" is fine to keep it cool and more compact... a couple PCIe 16X PCIe Slots (which truly does kick up the power support requirements)... how about two Thunderbolt ports, USB 3 ports, give us a FireWire 800 port or two (I'd argue the audience for these definitely have FireWire devices to benefit, I certainly do), and four full-size memory slots (would love 8, but 4 is practical) for up to 64GB of memory. Built in WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth – those are all givens of course. I think a Mac like this would sell well for a little more than the current Mac mini in base + support those that, whether they do it or not, want to have that upgradeability support for the future."

Full editorial letter:http://images.macsales.com/bl/newsletter/07-22-2014OWCTipsnDeals.html?source=td14.7&APC=ReaderSPC
Since the Mac Pro ditched both pcie expansion and firewire, I doubt the next Mac mini will resurrect it.

Actually Gigabyte sell an Brix Cube Aimed at gamers and power users, cones with an I7-4770R (same as in RMBP 15) with iris pro 5200, it's very small about the size of 2 NUC stacked, if Apple manages to include the power brick inside, it's reasonably an system similar to an Airport Extreme, just a bit slimmer and a bit smaller. Loaded with sane connectivity as the iMac 21: 2 Thunderbolt, 4 usb3, plus one hdmi, and the almost useless sd card reader ( which I avoid since an external is more reliable, specially working with micro sd).

Apple also could offer an fanless Mac mini (which will be very welcome by audiophiles), having an airport extreme like device with an massive passive cooler with fins all around the mini cube.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Since the Mac Pro ditched both pcie expansion and firewire, I doubt the next Mac mini will resurrect it.

Actually Gigabyte sell an Brix Cube Aimed at gamers and power users, cones with an I7-4770R (same as in RMBP 15) with iris pro 5200, it's very small about the size of 2 NUC stacked, if Apple manages to include the power brick inside, it's reasonably an system similar to an Airport Extreme, just a bit slimmer and a bit smaller. Loaded with sane connectivity as the iMac 21: 2 Thunderbolt, 4 usb3, plus one hdmi, and the almost useless sd card reader ( which I avoid since an external is more reliable, specially working with micro sd).

Apple also could offer an fanless Mac mini (which will be very welcome by audiophiles), having an airport extreme like device with an massive passive cooler with fins all around the mini cube.

New mac mini should be the same size. But drop the 2.5 inch hard drives and make it come with a 256 PCIe SSD upgradeable to 512 or 1TB. Then, use the extra space for better cooling for an Iris Pro CPU. If people want more storage, get a freaking dropbox account or an external drive. End of story.

Also put the proper connections for display, whatever people want. 3 monitors for sure. Add newer Tbolt connector(s). Keep Ethernet for crying out loud. Firewire NO. I forget if it is on the current mini, but if it is, DROP it.

Also, would be nice not to make proprietary the PCIe interface so user could put in their SSD of choice. Sorry, spinners have been dead for a long time. Good riddance.

The design of the mini is darn near perfect. No need at all for a redesign. Those who want a round mini are certifiably insane. As are the square tower folks.

Next week I will really dig down and try to express how I REALLY feel :)

Me and my cat LOVE our mini!

Attachments

• photo.JPG.jpeg
    photo.JPG.jpeg
    679.6 KB · Views: 93

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
The new Mini will have to be able to drive the (supposed) 4K Apple TB Display without breaking a sweat at 60fps in the Yosemite UI. (to put that in context, Broadwell is expected to have +40% GPU power compared to Haswell, so waiting for Broadwell and launching January-February 2015 could make sense...you don't wanna waste customers' and media attention in the holiday season for poor humble Minis anyway...iphone ipads macbooks are what Apple wants people to unwrap on Christmas morning...)

Not to mention 1440p doublepixel scaled mode (render offscreen at 5120x2880 then scale down to 4K, as seen on Retina MBPs to emulate old resolutions), even more intensive than "optimal" 1080p hiDPI 4K mode. Again Haswell is probably enough to "do" that (with framerate drops during complex UI animations) but some extra juice from Broadwell could be worth the wait.

It will also sport HDMI 2.0 because anything less would be disappointing in terms of future proofing.

Radios will be positioned in the optimal configuration for best wifi AC performance when paired with the AC Airport Extremes, so probably the mini will get "vertical" as well.

The ports that disappeared from the latest iMacs and MP will without any doubt disappear from the (new form factor) Mini as well. Without any doubt. FW800 via adapter. Deal with it.

If it's inch to inch identical to the tower Time Capsules (but in a metal case), the 3.5" hdd could be replaced by a big heat sink, the storage could be flash only (hell, the MP itself is flash only nowadays). Maybe Apple is waiting for a flash-only strategy to be economically feasible on starting-at-599$ Minis. And a desktop should probably have at least 256gb. The base iMac starts at 500gb, hdd though. But flash upgrades start at 256gb. That's to say, Apple won't sell you a 128gb desktop nowadays (unlike the 128gb 899$ Air). So it's even trickier to make flash-only Minis economically feasible. That could also explain the wait to release the new form factor.

The whole motherboard could be shared (for obvious economy of scale, supply and logistic convenience) with the 2015 Macbook Air 11" (Broadwell). If you look at the current 11" MBA motherboard, yes it's small in absolute terms but there's no way it could fit in a tower "Time Capsule sized" case. On the other hand, it is my understanding that Broadwell-U 15W and 28W SKUs will come in a "SoC" kinda package so it will be possible to build a much smaller motherboard, a lot of current elements and interconnects being integrated in the SoC.

With all this said about the 2015 Mini, I wouldn't completely rule out a 2014 Haswell Mini in the old form factor being released in the coming weeks. But I feel it's now or never. Fall and Christmas are too busy, too much stuff in the pipeline.

Last edited:

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
New mac mini should be the same size. But drop the 2.5 inch hard drives and make it come with a 256 PCIe SSD upgradeable to 512 or 1TB. Then, use the extra space for better cooling for an Iris Pro CPU. If people want more storage, get a freaking dropbox account or an external drive. End of story.

Also put the proper connections for display, whatever people want. 3 monitors for sure. Add newer Tbolt connector(s). Keep Ethernet for crying out loud. Firewire NO. I forget if it is on the current mini, but if it is, DROP it.

Also, would be nice not to make proprietary the PCIe interface so user could put in their SSD of choice. Sorry, spinners have been dead for a long time. Good riddance.

The design of the mini is darn near perfect. No need at all for a redesign. Those who want a round mini are certifiably insane. As are the square tower folks.

Next week I will really dig down and try to express how I REALLY feel :)

Me and my cat LOVE our mini!
Actually you remember me those folks crying in the new mac pro since it ditched user upgradable gpu, and what about the cd/dvd widows ...

Whatever Apple launches next week or late on September, be sure will sell well, no matter if cube, cylinder, or pizza box (I hate the pizza box), if you want more power with Haswell, then a new form factor is mandatory, since the nMP was very well received it's very plausible some nMP influence on the nMac mini.

Things for sure : no firewire, no std pcie ssd (would be nice to have m.2, but unlikely).

I bet the IGP on base models will be iris 5100 and top range will receive iris pro 5200.

I would love passive cooling but unlikely, requires an oversized Mac Pro like case.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
When I look at the current Mini, quite honestly the only thing that really makes me twitch is that damn graphics chip...if it had at least the Iris Pro I probably would start counting coppers :)

No doubt the weak point in my 2012 i7 Mini is the graphics chip. It is not bad as such, plays hi-res movies fine and I don't do gaming. So it is not exactly a major problem. But there is still some jerkiness and delays in general use, once there are a few programs and windows open.

Also see no need to keep the FW port, if it is replaced by another TB port. A TB-FW adaptor solves any issue for the FW bound users, and it still leaves a TB port free.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
If people want more storage, get a freaking dropbox account or an external drive. End of story.

Sorry, spinners have been dead for a long time. Good riddance.

Not so fast cowboy. Some of us dual boot our minis. Mine has 533.95GB available on a 960GB Mavericks boot SSD. Currently there is 475.66GB unused on the OEM 1TB HDD that Windows 8.1 happily runs on.

If the new mini had even two 512GB SSDs there would not be enough storage. It needs two accessible SATA3 bays.

Additionally mine also runs a FW800 box. Since the mini has half of the USB ports that most other computers have Fire Wire comes in very handy.

A mini is supposed to be inexpensive. "Spinners" are very cost effective while retaining the ability to store an OS with large iTunes and iPhotos libraries.

It's a mini, not a mini Mac Pro.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Not so fast cowboy. Some of us dual boot our minis. Mine has 533.95GB available on a 960GB Mavericks boot SSD. Currently there is 475.66GB unused on the OEM 1TB HDD that Windows 8.1 happily runs on.

If the new mini had even two 512GB SSDs there would not be enough storage. It needs two accessible SATA3 bays.

What.
1tb flash would be plenty enough to dual boot.
That would be, like, two 512gb single boots.
People single boot on 128gb and 256gb macs all the time.
What's the reasoning here.
Your case is particular but I wouldn't draw a correlation "Some of us dual boot" ---> "needs 2 x 1tb". Hell I dual boot Mavericks/W8 on a 128gb (split 64+64) 11" MBA, with bare minimum installed (secondary pc). To each its own but dual booting doesn't necessarily calls for more than 1tb of internal storage. Moreover, with thunderbolt being for all intents and purposes as fast as SATA the line between "internal" and "external" is blurry nowadays. You have a point on costs though.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast

Additionally mine also runs a FW800 box. Since the mini has half of the USB ports that most other computers have Fire Wire comes in very handy.

A mini is supposed to be inexpensive. "Spinners" are very cost effective while retaining the ability to store an OS with large iTunes and iPhotos libraries.

It's a mini, not a mini Mac Pro.

OK, so get a spinner external 4TB drive and you will have all the space you want. I agree more USB ports.

And oh yeah, in my ever so humble opinion, the design of the nMP sucks. A round cylinder. Big deal. Nowhere near as clean a deign as the current mini.

The space from getting rid of the two 2.5 inch bays would need to be used for bigger fan/heatsink/air flow for cooling purposes. Because if it is not damn near silent, it is not a mini people will buy.

And the MicroSD slot could be gotten rid of too. It is nice, and I even use it, sort of, but one could just get an adapter if it is a big deal.

I am almost on the fence about interior or exterior power supply. If they gave us a greatly improved mini in every way, meaning all the ways I mentioned plus some that the $250K per year engineers at Apple came up with I would consider it maybe. Otherwise, it really does lend to the clean lean and mean look that Apple does so well to have it inside.

I also think that Apple owes us something. And soon. Even if it is just a road map. We have lives and these purchases are important to us and our businesses and we do not want to pay big $$$ for old tech. That just does not make sense.

After all, at the end of the day, it is US that keeps Apple in business. If they do something incredibly stupid like MS did with Windows 8, then Apple too can lose.

So, Apple, how about some damn respect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.