Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
cool. good to see other designers also exploring what a computer can be instead of continuing to think the ultimate computer design was perfected 25 years ago so they should just keep going with that.

Reactions: Cape Dave

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
cool. good to see other designers also exploring what a computer can be instead of continuing to think the ultimate computer design was perfected 25 years ago so they should just keep going with that.
Even better - HP has this super micro form factor machine - and they're redefining the "25 year old" workstation form factor with the Z series.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Even better - HP has this super micro form factor machine - and they're redefining the "25 year old" workstation form factor with the Z series.
to me, i think the Z series is the same ol same ol.. same as the original mac pro, same as quicksilvers, same as the pentiums.. etc.

the little thing is cool though. (not really 'cool' in m.davis sense.. just meaning it's refreshing to see.)
i do think it's funny that they're designating/marketing it as a CAD machine.

[edit]
oh wait.. i see.. the little one is also labeled as 'Z' so i suppose that's what you're talking about.
yeah, refreshing.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Yet again, both AMD & Nvidia rebrand their Radeon & Geforce cards for workstation graphics. Notably the Firepro / Quattro cards. Even on PC Workstations. Its not an Apple thing.

No, not an Apple thing. The only thing Apple added to this is staying with these ancient GPUs and charging them like day #1. Now, that's an apple thing.

Reactions: George Dawes

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
No, not an Apple thing. The only thing Apple added to this is staying with these ancient GPUs and charging them like day #1. Now, that's an apple thing.

That's not true.

The Radeon Pro's in the new TB MBP's are like current Polaris cards.

The CPU and GPU in the 2013 MP (trashcan) were/are from 2013.

Ummm... just because your stupid expensive nMP is from the year 2013 doesn't mean it's any slower in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020...

Speaking of 20-20...

Nevermind... I digress.

PS--I'm only kind of piss about this because Macs are used for "Professional Creatives", right? Well, CPU power and GPU power will not help you get creative.

THANK YOU!

PSS--it is a well-known fact in PC's and in Windows that software lags behind hardware by like 5-10 years. In Macs, it's less because Apple kinda does a better job due to them controlling both hardware and software.... So, even if Macs are like a year behind PC's as far as tech refresh cycle goes, since software LAGS behind hardware, it doesn't matter.

THANK YOU, AGAIN!

PSSS--also, the creative part is important that 2 million cpu cores or 1 billion gpu units won't be able to help anyone if they're like not creative to begin with. Kinda like using steroids, but if you suck at sports, the steroids won't really do anything.

Arigatōgozaimashita!

PSSSS--Also, People buy Macs not because of shiny new GPU cores. Or, that HP or Dells or Alienware or Razers have better "Specs"

Spasibo!

Last edited:
Reactions: maplingstorie

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I don't think HP has made many exciting designs in the last decade or so, but this thing looks absolutely gorgeous. Still in a different class than the Mac Pro though.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
@AidenShaw I've dropped enough in Thunderbolt that I'd prefer to still keep it around.

This is a nice little step between the mini and the Pro if you ask me-I am studying architecture and playing with all those fun apps that they are highlighting. This would be an awesome machine for all the non-Mac native apps like revit that I boot camp to use now.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
That's not true.

The Radeon Pro's in the new TB MBP's are like current Polaris cards.

The CPU and GPU in the 2013 MP (trashcan) were/are from 2013.

Ummm... just because your stupid expensive nMP is from the year 2013 doesn't mean it's any slower in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020...

Speaking of 20-20...

Nevermind... I digress.

PS--I'm only kind of piss about this because Macs are used for "Professional Creatives", right? Well, CPU power and GPU power will not help you get creative.

THANK YOU!

PSS--it is a well-known fact in PC's and in Windows that software lags behind hardware by like 5-10 years. In Macs, it's less because Apple kinda does a better job due to them controlling both hardware and software.... So, even if Macs are like a year behind PC's as far as tech refresh cycle goes, since software LAGS behind hardware, it doesn't matter.

THANK YOU, AGAIN!

PSSS--also, the creative part is important that 2 million cpu cores or 1 billion gpu units won't be able to help anyone if they're like not creative to begin with. Kinda like using steroids, but if you suck at sports, the steroids won't really do anything.

Arigatōgozaimashita!

PSSSS--Also, People buy Macs not because of shiny new GPU cores. Or, that HP or Dells or Alienware or Razers have better "Specs"

Spasibo!

Huh ? Thought we were talking about Mac Pro not Macbook (which is becoming the new joke in IT world real fast). Regardless, Mac Pro's gpus where based on a 2011 chip. Imagine staying with the same price in 2016. As I already said...that's an Apple exclusive.

A faster CPU/GPU won't make you more creative, but will make you run the latest s/w faster. People that rely on rendering to do their work will definitely appreciate this. And just because of that, they are leaving.

Regarding s/w lagging behind h/w in PC world but not in Apple ecosystem (although this is a very obsolete generalization) - There's another reason for that; In apple ecosystem it's the h/w that chases the s/w because it is traditionally old and underpowered. But, hey, it's thin as hell.

As I said in another post, apple is not doomed. Apple users are, however.

VCMSound

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
SW FLA
I guess I just don't like how carpeted computers look, haha. I also hate computers with a tiny formfactor, which is why I hate the 2013 Mac Pro too... The PowerMac G5 through 2012 Mac Pro design is by far the most beautiful desktop computer, IMO. Functional, zero holding back, and gorgeous. :)
Agreed. Thing I love about that aluminum tower is it's sheer presence, not to mention the ease of upgradeability. It looks good. It looks serious. Vader's Trash Can looks like it might get knocked over at any moment, it's just a weird design–a lot of cool and brilliant innovation, but lacking in the simplicity and functionality that the previous gen Mac Pros had. As such, I find myself wanting for a 2012 12-core 5,1 and putting a PCIe Accelsior drive in it, among other things, rather than wanting for any 6,1...

Reactions: aaronhead14
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.