The new MBP getting roasted live NOW. (Louis Rossmann)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by biskazz, Nov 2, 2016.

1. biskazz, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

biskazz macrumors member

Really like the content Louis puts out. Take a look. It's live now!

New link. Old stream stopped.

2. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Oh my god that dongle adapter is HOOOOOUUUGEEEEEEE

3. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Love this guy! Hearing a perspective from someone who fixes laptops for his living is great

4. Macalway macrumors 68020

So there's a bug; and a rather strange one. Considering lots of people have these, if it is universal, we will be hearing about it soon enough.

5. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

That keyboard sounds awful! Not looking forward to testing these at the store.

6. ballyhoos macrumors member

A recall now will just take the cake. That will ruin Apple's share price.

7. leman macrumors 604

Yep, its definitely weird. The 12" MBs we have here do not exhibit this problem. Can someone with a new 13" MBP test? Maybe the reviewer got a defective unit or something?

8. Softwarez macrumors member

What's the bug? I'm too lazy to watch the video.

9. leman macrumors 604

Apparently he is having some issues with the WiFi connection when a device is connected via USB.

10. Macintosh IIcx macrumors 6502

Macintosh IIcx

Like he looses the WiFi when a device is plugged in via usb? Does he use a random cable or an Apple? Sorry, but I don't really have the time to listen to 2 x 1h20m streams.

11. David58117 macrumors 65816

I could only stand the first 40 min or so, but it looks like he's using a $30 USBC adaptor from Amazon. He says it's the top rated one that came up...and he skipped the cheap ones. He tested it with another computer and it worked fine.

His argument is that it's obscene to pay $80 or whatever for the Amazon one, when there are *good* $30 ones out there that work for every other computer with that port.

I agree...I also wonder if Apple walls off their adaptor, as my wifes Apple USBC to HDMI/USB3 doesn't work on non-apple laptops.

12. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

Theres going to be a lot of upset people if they have to buy real apple dongles. No way I'm paying that. Im fine with 20$. If it works on the macbook then it should work on the new macbook pro's

13. Macalway macrumors 68020

Actually, Apple dongles are the only sure way. Too much junk out there, and there's a bizarre trend for manufacturers to pay for fake reviews (shill), making it difficult to sort out the junk. Maybe that's what this reviewer fell victim to.

14. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

How do you explain the 12"MacBook working fine off the same dongle and not the 13" then. I don't think apples dongles have anything inside them to change it from the 30$ ones.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2016 ---
    I hate the word dongle btw. Dittle my dongle

15. Macintosh IIcx macrumors 6502

Macintosh IIcx

They are different. The MBP has Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Gen 2. I don't know whether that might matter, but it might.

16. Macalway, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68020

I didn't say this new 13 doesn't have a problem. I was just mentioning my fear of cheap Amazon accessories, after throwing out a whole lot of them over the years. I would save time and money buy just buying the overpriced Apple stuff. Of course this can't always be done though.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, brutal video, I wonder if may be indicative of returns once they get into people's hands

18. Macalway macrumors 68020

People already have them. Lots of people. We shall know soon enough

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

No problem here, and I have been docked at work every day since getting the laptop last week. I actually get wifi in places I could barley maintain a connection with my rMB.

20. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

1st gen of this form factor - I'm expecting some issue to pop up along the line of past issues with 1st gens

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, other makers had significant issues on gen 1, such as Microsoft's Surface Book.

22. Macalway macrumors 68020

We need to look at this issue now. I hope it's an isolated thing

23. Adergaard macrumors newbie

1) He uses 100 words where 5 would suffice which makes it almost unbearable
    2) So, if the macbook pro is so worthless, what's a better alternative? Lenovo? What a joke. Dell? Can they even spell quality assurance? HP? I mean come on.

I like the video he did comparing old thinkpad to new ones but this is just too much "show" and too little substance.

24. RipsMctits macrumors regular

Last year's MBP.

25. Adergaard macrumors newbie

Buying old gear is never an option. Try again. There really is no better alternative out there now even though this version may be less than what we wanted.