Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think your MBP is a 'five year machine'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
Reading a neat little article on macdailynews.com this morning which had a review of the newMBP's, and it had an interesting little quote:

"As you read, keep in mind that the machine I'm describing doesn't fit in the mainstream 15-inch PC notebook class, a strictly two-year service group typified by painted-on key legends, breakable tray-loading DVD drives, and slow integrated graphics. The MacBook Pro is a five-year machine, by design and by track record. If you choose to replace a 15-inch MacBook Pro in two years, you'll be able to sell it for most of what you paid for it," Yager reports.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/21718/

After reading this, I thought of all the 'Should I sell my eight month old Macbook Pro to buy the newest model' threads on this forum. Do you agree or disagree with the reviewer's assessment?

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
No laptop is a five-year machine, for two reasons: 1) mobile technology is always a couple of years behind the performance of desktop technology, and 2) laptops are not built to stand up to five years of everyday use, because otherwise they'd be too heavy.

I plan to get two years out of a laptop, and hope to get three.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I do not agree with the reviewer's assessments. People treat their computers differently, and that is what leads to a computer lasting 2 or 5 years. Any computer can last at least 5 years apart from the battery. I had a Dell laptop for 6 years, all it needed was a new battery and some more ram. It still works.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
My last iBook lasted 6 years, the only thing that needed to be updated was the HDD, RAM and battery which I do think is an acceptable thing.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Battery going to die on you 3rd year or 4th year.

Superdrives are never that great.

No hinge issues, only TiBook and Airs.

It could last 5 years for some people.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
The MacMini seems to hold it's value, not too sure if MacBooks do as much (well compared to Windows laptops they do hold value). Looking at selling my 2.5 year old Poly MacBook soon, I'll probably get half back - which I'm more than happy with (hoping for £400 - paid around £800 for it). The MacBook itself has been fine, only issue was a cracking keyboard top which Apple replaced FOC. I'm sure it'll last another 2 years or so. Battery is still good.

netwalker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
In about 5 years those users will be bitching about poor performance of Photoshop CS9, Motion 4.5 and Super-HD videos on YouTube. I love those comments on a certain video site where people complain that h.264 videos stutter on their 8 year old macs.

The computer itself could last that long, yes (with the occasional HD and battery replacement). I still have two functioning G4 PowerBooks (one is being used each day and the other one is a spare in case my Mac Book Pro can't be used).

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
I don’t think the InfoWorld reviewer literally meant that the machine will last five years for every single user, but was contrasting the difference in quality and value for money between a cheap, bog standard lapop and this latest Apple offering. My interpretation was that after two years use, Yager is arguing that the first type of laptop is basically only fit for scrap, whilst this new MBP will not only be still useable, but have an excellent resale value.

Also, InfoWord targets IT managers and business users – not consumers – so there’s quite a specific audience. Yager in the past, has praised Apple’s laptops for being excellent and competitively priced for this type of market.

After reading this, I thought of all the 'Should I sell my eight month old Macbook Pro to buy the newest model' threads on this forum. Do you agree or disagree with the reviewer's assessment?

I don’t think there’s any compelling reason to trade up now - if you did, you may as well trade up every time a new one comes out. I think Yager is basically saying ‘the best has just become better”.

He kicks off this latest review with “When I reviewed Apple's prior, "unibody" 15-inch MacBook Pro, I gave it high marks. For the money, there is no better-built notebook”, praises a few things about it and then says “Now Apple is building on that peerless platform with higher performance, an upgraded display, longer battery life, and a lower price.” I would look at the full reviews of both machines for some piece of mind!

Jon-Luke

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2009
Cape Town
I sold my old 15" MacBook Pro for about $500 less than what I paid for it - That was after 2 years (Not too bad I thought). My girlfriend still uses a old G4 iBook which is over 5 years old now and the only reason she's starting to look around for a new one is because it doesn't support USB 2.0 but otherwise she would keep it. In fact in comparison with many of the cheaper Windows based Laptops out there its still more snappy to use (Surprising but true).

So I think the Mac Laptop rage definitely has a good lifespan and the resale value is great for a computer

I used to buy a new laptop every 2 years before I changed to Mac but now I will probably hang onto my Unibody for a good 3 to 4 years providing nothing major goes wrong with it. Or I may be tempted to upgrade earlier but then at least I will get a good resale value to happiness all round!

:apple::cool:

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I sold my old 15" MacBook Pro for about $500 less than what I paid for it - That was after 2 years (Not too bad I thought). My girlfriend still uses a old G4 iBook which is over 5 years old now and the only reason she's starting to look around for a new one is because it doesn't support USB 2.0 but otherwise she would keep it. In fact in comparison with many of the cheaper Windows based Laptops out there its still more snappy to use (Surprising but true).

:apple::cool:

I've had my iBook for over 4 years. It's not always fast, but it definitely boots up faster than most Windows laptops. When it slows down, I run Onyx and that seems to help. It's in good shape, still using the original battery. The only reason I'm considering replacing it is that I've filled up the hard drive, and I don't find using an external HD all that convenient.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
No laptop is a five-year machine, for two reasons: 1) mobile technology is always a couple of years behind the performance of desktop technology, and 2) laptops are not built to stand up to five years of everyday use, because otherwise they'd be too heavy.

Number one is wrong in the case of the MacBook and MacBook Pro, and number 2 is wrong in the case of the MacBook Pro, possibly wrong for the MacBook as well. Obviously this depends on your definition of "everyday use".

semicharmed

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
New Orleans
My Powerbook G4 (1.67) is just about four year old, bought it in July of 2005, and I'm planning to keep it as long as it's in working condition.
It's just as fast, if not faster, than the two Windows PCs at home (one is 2 years old, one is 1.5 y.o.) and snappier than many of my friend's newer laptops. It could stand to have the RAM upgraded, same for the HDD and the battery, but for right now it runs everything I need and want it to run, save some of the newer Intel-only games/applications.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I just bought a MBP for my daughter who is going into college next month. I am hoping to get at least 4 years out of that machine.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK

I plan to get two years out of a laptop, and hope to get three.

My iBook G4's rolling towards being 4 years old and I expect to get an extra 2 years out of it.

At the very, very least all I need it to do it word process and connect to the web. Where I can see it having problems in the future is high quality video sites.

(although I don't understand that. Anyone remember Stage 6? - I think it was called that - I used to be on that all the time with no problem, and it was great quality but I can't use high quality youtube - why?)

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
Number one is wrong in the case of the MacBook and MacBook Pro, and number 2 is wrong in the case of the MacBook Pro, possibly wrong for the MacBook as well. Obviously this depends on your definition of "everyday use".

About performance... come on, you can't be serious. The MacBook Pro has at best half the CPU and graphics performance of any reasonably current, midrange or better desktop system. Its performance is comparable to decent desktop systems from about two to three years ago.

I suppose whether the build quality is good for five years depends on the user, but I don't personally know any serious users (which I think of as people who use their machines all day long) who expect a laptop to last longer than three years. Most of the time, hinges, screens (because of the repeated bending of the display cable) and cases are the first things to fail.

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
About performance... come on, you can't be serious. The MacBook Pro has at best half the CPU and graphics performance of any reasonably current, midrange or better desktop system. Its performance is comparable to decent desktop systems from about two to three years ago.

I suppose whether the build quality is good for five years depends on the user, but I don't personally know any serious users (which I think of as people who use their machines all day long) who expect a laptop to last longer than three years. Most of the time, hinges, screens (because of the repeated bending of the display cable) and cases are the first things to fail.

But why compare macbook pro performances to desktop systems? Obviously they're not as powerful, it's the same difference between a macbook pro and a mac pro. One is for mobility and decent performance, the other is stationary and much more powerful. Apples and oranges.

And i've had my laptop for the past four years, and the only thing that's barely damaged is a tiny crack on the outer casing, and that was because my laptop dropped onto the concrete sidewalk. Get a decent case for your laptop and nothing bad should happen to it. Hinges and screens failing? That's some pretty heavy abuse to your laptop, I've never seen my own laptops or anyone else's laptops start to fall apart like that.

I don't think the MBP is a five year machine in the sense that it will be able to compete with a brand new product released in three to four years that has upgraded specs, but it will be able to sustain itself as a completely viable and usable product for the next five years.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
My aunts G4 Powerbook is still running amazingly well on 512 mb of RAM and Tiger, and I beleive its approaching (if it hasn't already) 5 years.

I've been constantly amazed by how long lasting macs are.

Jon-Luke

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2009
Cape Town

Well I consider myself to be quite a serious user - I work in the film industry and I use my laptop on a daily basis, some of the time in an office environment but often out on location and I can confidently say that my MacBook Pro's build quality will outlast most windows PC's - I agree that it all depends on how you treat your equipment, but on the whole I've seen in others and experienced for myself less problems with Macs then other Laptops. Now with the MacBook Pro having the unibody construction I'm finding it even more durable, the only think I'm concerned about is the screen hinge, but I guess time will tell...

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Think it really depends on:
1. How you treat it (rough and tumble or like a glass egg) and
2. what you use it for

It can last quite a while - it may not be useful for what you need in 5 years though.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Each of my last two (Windows) laptops gave me around four years of good service and I now have a 15" MBP and would expect to get at least that length of time from it.

Cheers

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
As it's been mentioned it's more about the user. There is some random luck that goes into it with Logic Board failures, but usage is what makes the difference.

martynmc7

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Whilst 5 years may be optimistic the fact all the new MBPs are expandable to 8GB RAM, and with the rise of SSDs and optimisation coming in Snow Leopard, we may all be able to keep these machines running well for a fair few years.

cjacks68

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
I got a good 4 years out of my powerbook g4, then gave it to my brother cause I needed a little more oomph. Now I've had my 15" MPB for a year and I should get the same amount of use out of it easily. Do I really want to keep it for that long though? Hmm :rolleyes:

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
But why compare macbook pro performances to desktop systems? Obviously they're not as powerful, it's the same difference between a macbook pro and a mac pro. One is for mobility and decent performance, the other is stationary and much more powerful. Apples and oranges.

Because the notebook and desktop are running the same applications. By the time a laptop is three years old, it's five years behind. New applications won't run well, if at all.

A five-year-old laptop has seven-year-old performance, which historically has not been useful for anything more than the most basic use cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.