The new MBPs lack Turbo Boost.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mabaker, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mehanika, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

mehanika Guest

Only tested on the 13 MBP, i7.. I'm not sure how many have bought that yet..

Besides, i think is the OS that will be the bottleneck in such matter as this.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Turbo boost will not kick in if the laptop is too hot and it could be running hot for a variety of reasons: ambient temps, the thermal paste nonsense or dust. I wouldn't be surprised if the chip is designed not to overclock itself if it reaches >90C on stock clocks. Whether it should be running this hot in any kind of situation is another matter.

4. iSolip macrumors newbie

exactly.:rolleyes:

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

+1
    Anandtech's show no modifications to turbo boost at all, and if theres any review i'm going to believe its Anandtech's

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup, its been tested and proven to work just fine. MSR Tools is the app used to verify its working.

7. iZero macrumors regular

Turbo boost works fine... Don't know where they got that idea from. Not a problem with it at all.

8. lilo777 macrumors 603

No, it does not. Anandtech's report adds to the whole picture which is that, once again, in the quest for form (over function) Apple uses nice looking but poorly cooled cases which lead to CPUs working under sub-optimal conditions. In some cases, CPUs get too hot for turbo-boost.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

This is...horrible. Why can't Apple make a descent laptop, heck, they don't even have to worry about the video card anymore, now that it's integrated with the CPU!

10. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

I can confirm on my MBP 13" that turbo boost does indeed kick in and clocks the CPU up to 2.9Ghz (core i5)

11. sk3tch macrumors regular

Apparently you and a lot of other people didn't bother reading the article.

It's the i7 13" model and it only applies when you're running Windows.

12. mac jones macrumors 68040

WTF? this is a Windows issue, yet they don't point this out until the end?

It's like they made a mistake and aren't going to own up to it, so they hedge around the issue at the end of the article.

Man up dudes :rolleyes:

13. lilo777 macrumors 603

Read the article again. They suspect that this a BootCamp issue - not the Windows issue. The theory is that Apple intentionally disabled TurboBoost under BootCamp because the laptop gets too hot when running Windows.

14. iZero, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

iZero macrumors regular

lol Agreed. As I said, turbo boost runs perfectly in OS X. I don't use Windows/Bootcamp, so I can't speak to that/nor do I care about it personally. But as far as Apple's responsibility, they made computers and modified OS X to accommodate turbo boost, and it works ace. I've yet to find a condition in which it doesn't work perfectly, it never gets hot enough thus far to have a problem in the slightest. Not to say it never will though I guess. But of course, people always want to find something to cry about, and if there's nothing, they'll hunt high and low for it, even if it means glancing over important parts of a review :)

15. Mik3F macrumors 6502

How are you testing and confirming this?

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The review is false. Here are the facts:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103799

If you hate Apple so much why are you here? Let's see, you always question Apple, but never question any shady reviews.

Maybe someone is earning shilling / concern troll money? :rolleyes:

17. akhbhaat macrumors regular

Because Apple can't bend the laws of physics.

It's obvious that many of you are missing the point with regard to Apple's design philosophy. There's a very obvious emphasis on aesthetic form and physical interactivity at the expense of (almost) everything else, and that "everything else" very often includes raw performance. You can either take the attractive unibody enclosure and relatively quiet (near silent in many cases) operation at the price of suboptimal cooling, or you can litter the machine with bumps, bulges, creases, noisy fans and unsightly exhaust vents (and still have suboptimal cooling--every laptop does--but just not as compromised as that of the Mac). Apple (Steve Jobs in particular) chooses the former route, and the rest of the industry pursues the latter path. It's obvious that Apple's approach has some extraordinary appeal, because their entire line stands out from the pack (and draws an amusing mixture of love and ire as a result).

As for me? I'm a programmer/software developer/gamer/all-around power user, and I hate laptops. I hate the cramped keyboards with funky layouts, the useless trackpads, the noisy fans, the flimsy feel and build quality, and the bloatware that 99% of them come with (the first thing I did right out of the box with any Windows laptop I ever owned was reformat the hard drive and drop in a fresh, unmolested install of Windows followed by an equally fresh install of the Linux distro flavor of the month--a process that normally took hours, especially with all the driver hunting that ensued). I hate the compromises.

But I love my Macbook Pro. Yeah, it's expensive for what you're getting under the hood (though again, that applies to EVERY laptop in a relative sense)--but my god, it doesn't suck to use, so I don't dread those moments where I'll have to work away from my desktop. And given how integral these machines are to my livelihood, there's simply no accounting for that.

18. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

heres a screenshot of cpu z in windows while running LinX (2 threads - 1 core)

[​IMG]

19. lilo777 macrumors 603

The issue exists only on i7 models.

20. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

anandtech tested the i7 model, and said turbo does work...

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Whoever coined "turbo boost" should get canned.

22. Mik3F macrumors 6502

23. sk3tch macrumors regular

Guys - READ THE ARTICLE.

It's the 13" i7 ONLY.
    It's ONLY in Windows.