Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

argentum47

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
i want my bloody stars back!!!!

That's what I exactly want to do. I will turn off software update completely to avoid updating iTunes by accident and losing rating system forever.

Seconded.

Apple needs to place MORE focus on the stars, not abandon them. Here's a piece of feedback I provided Apple via the Feedback app. I'm curious what other music fans think:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Star ratings are no longer present in the Music app.

I'm not certain if this is a beta bug or a deliberate decision, but as a music lover, I feel that star ratings are an incredibly important feature to have.

While the "Love" feature is used to improve the algorithmic suggestions in the "For You" section, the purpose of star ratings is to allow the user to tag the music he likes, so he can go back to it afterwards.

If I have a particular artist that I like, I will give my favourite songs by that artist high star ratings to signify that I love particular songs. In iTunes, that allows me to create all sorts of Smart Playlists that pull out my favourite songs from a vast library, and I can create playlists based on these characteristics (i.e. my favourite heavy metal songs, my favourite songs by Bob Dylan, my favourite songs that I've added to my library within the past month etc...)

This is why I and many friends have spent years and years adding star ratings to our iTunes libraries; they're an amazing feature when you combine them with Smart Playlists.

What the iOS Music app needs is a modern equivalent of that. The curated playlists are excellent when I'm looking for new music to check out, but music listeners often just want to hear music they know and love. And given how large our libraries are, it's hard to sift through so many artists, albums, and songs.

That's why in addition to the great curated material, what Apple Music needs is a modern equivalent of Smart Playlists. The iTunes implementation would be too complex in an iOS world, but that's why I think a great solution would be to implement filters. Think of the UI of the old Beats Music 'The Sentence' feature. Add that to the Library tab, and make it so that the user can simply and easily specify characteristics (i.e. 5 star pop songs or 4+ star songs by Nine Inch Nails or my most played songs by The Beatles etc...) rather than just moods.

The user will easily select the parameters and it will automatically and dynamically generate a playlist from his or her library of all the music that meets those criteria.

The beauty here is that it's all based on the user's specific preferences, rather than just on a curator's suggestions. The user rates what she likes and can easily come back to it later. That's why star ratings are so important. Curation is amazing for finding new music and interesting playlists, but it only provides half the experience. The other half is this characteristic-based filter system. That's why star ratings are so important.

Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Not yet, which bugs me. I know we can use iTunes or Siri to rate songs but it's not always convenient.

I have reported feedback on this several times now, so maybe we'll get it in the first update to iOS 10, if not the GM.

As long as they exist in iTunes for macOS, I can still create very detailed smart playlists and sync to iOS, if they ditch them all together, I don't know what I'll do. Probably resort to tags like "5 starts" if tags even still exist.

A simple on/off switch Loved option isn't enough.

Does anyone know WHY Apple would kill star ratings? They can even make them work together with "love" by making "love" equivalent to 5 stars.

I may merely like some songs (3 stars), some songs I may like and have an emotional connection to (4 stars), and some completely rock my world whenever I hear them (5 stars). Merely having a "like" button isn't really enough, and with Apple Music and people having access to millions of songs, these distinctions can matter even more.

Sometimes it feels like one of the pitfalls of tech having gone so mainstream is that good features are dumbed down/removed because the "average user" doesn't use them. This is sad and infuriating.

For those missing the Star Rating: try out Music Rating Widget ($1; no, I'm not its developer).

Other 3rd party music library apps (e.g., Cesium) also work, but this one, being a widget, makes it very convenient to rate from anywhere within iOS (just swipe left from lockscreen, homescreen, or notification center). Working flawlessly for me for now.

Though, if Apple someday decides to completely get rid of Star Rating from iTunes or macOS/iOS SDK, we might have to just let go. I did send Apple a rant through the feedback page.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
For those missing the Star Rating: try out Music Rating Widget ($1; no, I'm not its developer).

Though, if Apple someday decides to completely get rid of Star Rating from iTunes or macOS/iOS SDK, we might have to just let go. I did send Apple a rant through the feedback page.
Thanks for posting this! I'm probably gonna end up buying it for the convenience.

You're right that we may be being forced to let go in the future. If that comes to pass, how would you (or anyone that wants to chime in) define loved tracks? 3+ stars or 4+?

I've been marking 4+ stars as loved but would maybe include tracks currently rated 3 stars if stars were to disappear from iTunes.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Can anyone tell me if the following features are by design or a bug? Pictures taken on an iPad mini.

If they can grab four random album covers from my playlist and display them in this screen:-

Yes. They use 4 album covers for examples of that Playlist. You can change it to any pictures you want.

Why wouldn't they do the same on this screen?

Those are smart playlists. Different kind of playlist.

Fluttershy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Australia
SO many issues:

Can't edit upcoming songs if repeat is enabled
Asked Siri to play an Album, she shuffled it, normally she plays from track 1
The displays on each page are horrendous, those gross purple boxes
Text is so large my grandmother can read it without her specs

argentum47

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
You're right that we may be being forced to let go in the future. If that comes to pass, how would you (or anyone that wants to chime in) define loved tracks? 3+ stars or 4+?

I've been marking 4+ stars as loved but would maybe include tracks currently rated 3 stars if stars were to disappear from iTunes.

In my library, 4+ = liked, 3 = neutral, 2- = disliked.

Apple Music's Love/Dislike system is fundamentally flawed in that you can't give it a negative direction.

In a number of cases, you want to leave out a specific track in an album (a track you hate or a voice-off track you're not particularly interested in) from entering the Shuffle list, but still want to keep the file in the library for completeness. You can't achieve this easily unless there is a way to give a negative rating. This is the reason for my rant against Apple for trying to (gradually) remove Star Ratings from their ecosystem.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

Other 3rd party music library apps (e.g., Cesium) also work, but this one, being a widget, makes it very convenient to rate from anywhere within iOS (just swipe left from lockscreen, homescreen, or notification center). Working flawlessly for me for now.

Just a reminder: you need to allow this app access music library in order to let the rating widget working in iOS 10.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
......on my iPad Air 2 and also my wife's iPhone 5, tapping on 'Playlists' and then on 'Top 25 Most Played', just causes the app to crash back to the home screen, EVERY TIME (its fine on my iPhone 6 though?) ??!?
:mad::(

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
......on my iPad Air 2 and also my wife's iPhone 5, tapping on 'Playlists' and then on 'Top 25 Most Played', just causes the app to crash back to the home screen, EVERY TIME (its fine on my iPhone 6 though?) ??!?
That playlist is a bugged one. It also frustrates Marvis for a long time. Sometimes it does not display correctly, other times they display random songs.

ggarnold

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Just a reminder: you need to allow this app access music library in order to let the rating widget working in iOS 10.

I have allowed access for the Music Rating widget to make changes to my "Media Library" (Settings > Music Rating app > Allow Media Library).

The ratings changes seem to stick on my iPhone. However, ratings changes made by the Music Rating widget ARE NOT reflected in my iTunes library on my Macbook. Siri commands to change ratings ARE reflected in my iTunes library.

Is this a limitation of 3rd party apps in iOS 10?

aishakeys

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2015
I have noticed if i try and download to much stuff to my library while listening to music the app crashes loool...if apple fixes that should be good...also had *can't download* like it gets overwhelmed dont know whats thats about.

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I am having a really hand time adjusting to the new Apple Music. It's almost to the point where I'm looking into Spodify and exclusively using Pandora One. Help!

Reactions: Sleepy8686

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have allowed access for the Music Rating widget to make changes to my "Media Library" (Settings > Music Rating app > Allow Media Library).

The ratings changes seem to stick on my iPhone. However, ratings changes made by the Music Rating widget ARE NOT reflected in my iTunes library on my Macbook. Siri commands to change ratings ARE reflected in my iTunes library.

Is this a limitation of 3rd party apps in iOS 10?
If this is the case, Marvis rating feature would not work whatsoever. But I will test it.
[doublepost=1474427011][/doublepost]
So, what's the difference between regular Marvis and Marvis+?
Marvis+ includes all in-app purchases.
Marvis does not include.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I would also recommend Loud, written by Shad Deen. It also includes Last.fm scrobbling, which Cesium doesn't. I had a lot of trouble with Cesium yesterday with Up Next.

I'm running into instances where the stock app shows different playlist content than third party apps, and the 3rd party apps match what I have in iTunes.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Do any of the third party players allow the play all abums feature that we lost? I used that ALL THE TIME. Now I have to create tons of playlists for that.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Still don't know why Apple have to keep reminding me I am only viewing music on this iPhone. Other than to try and sell me Apple Music that is!

I know what I am viewing as I amended the settings like that on purpose.

Reactions: Altis and Loge

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Still don't know why Apple have to keep reminding me I am only viewing music on this iPhone. Other than to try and sell me Apple Music that is!

Even worse, with the only downloaded music bar visible, you can click on Show Complete Album (if you have purchased a few tracks) and then it will show all the tracks, but still saying showing only music on this phone, and no indication which are purchased and which are not.

Then if you click on one that is not purchased, it takes you to Apple music sign up again.:mad:.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010

...just going back to this for a moment, I am going to try this again tonight, on her iPhone 6 (she's just upgraded her 5, to a new iPhone 6), to see if it still does this. Will also try it on my iPhone 7 to see if if it does the same thing.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
...just going back to this for a moment, I am going to try this again tonight, on her iPhone 6 (she's just upgraded her 5, to a new iPhone 6), to see if it still does this. Will also try it on my iPhone 7 to see if if it does the same thing.

Well, sadly, I can confirm that on my wife's brand new iPhone 6(bought from the Apple Store 2 days ago), the music app STILL crashes when tapping Playlists > Top 25 Most Played.
:(

Weirdly, this does NOT happen on my iPhone 7 but DOES happen on my iPad Air 2?????
o_Oo_Oo_O

Sleepy8686

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
Tha D
Like most I did not like the first version of AM (I got it on day 1) but once I got used to and learned how to use it I thought it was the greatest! I felt I had more control over what I wanted to do with my music now it makes me regret even going to iOS 10 and wish I could go back as this version feels like it was made for school kids. Horrible fonts, hiding important buttons, seeing that stupid cloud icon everywhere grrrrrrrrr I could go on and on! I've actually gone back to Spotify even though I pay slightly more for it than AM.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I love the iOS 10 music app. Bring honest, I hated 8 and 9 but loved the look of the white in iOS7. Really enjoying iOS 10.

If the music app in iOS 8/9 were slight throwbacks to iOS 6, then the app in 10 definitely feels more in line with 7. I played with the app at the store again today (still running 9 on my phone) to see if I could get more comfortable with it to upgrade. I don't hate it -- but I don't see the benefit of upgrading at all. If I had a brand new iPhone 7, I could get used to it (I mean, I'd HAVE to.) But upgrading for the sake of upgrading on my iPhone 6 (I don't even have 3D touch capability) just like asking for trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.