The new "Piano Black" is actually made from polycarbonate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techiebug, Sep 6, 2016.

1. techiebug, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016

techiebug macrumors 6502a

I just read a report from a legit news website from Vietnam. If you follow iphone leaks news, you'll know there have been quite a few legit leaks originating from Vietnamese tech websites. The reporter claimed he did actually use an iPhone 7. Basically everything we've heard is true. However one thing he noted that is the so called "Piano black" iphone is not made from metal. Seems like it uses the same material like the iPhone 5c. So possibly this is a new "7c" model or it's iphone 7 made from polycarbonate. This helps narrowing down the options for me as I wouldn't buy a plastic phone. Would you buy it if it's made from polycarbonate?

2. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Adding the source for this rumour here: http://www.techsignin.com/cong-nghe/cam-nhan-ve-iphone-7-moi/

So, Piano Black is apparently plastic/polycarbonate and it's possibly the new 7c model.

Hmm...I think lots of people who hoped to get the piano black version will be disappointed if its only for the 7c.

3. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

If it meant that the phone was smaller, and I unfortunately don't think it does, I'd be interested.

4. Dave245 macrumors 601

I can't see that myself, Apple already had the SE which was announced in March. Tomorrows event will be the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, not to mention that all the reliable leakers have said the "piano black" option will be an iPhone 7 and 7 Plus option.

5. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

If the phone is plastic that should mean no antenna lines. But at the same time it could be downgraded internals. So that's a no go for me.

6. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Well I'm only reciting what the leaker said about using the piano black version. For him the back does not feel like a metal finish and more like plastic/polycarbonate one.

Apple could still call it iPhone 7 but give you the option for a polycarbonate glossy black.

Edit:
    Some more pics for you guys:

Source:http://www.techsignin.com/tintuc/anh-mat-sau-cua-iphone-7-camera-den-flash/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

8. Domen151 macrumors regular

Maybe it is metal but it just feels like plastic because of its finish? I guess we'll know tomorrow :p

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Space Black Apple Watch feels like plastic too strangely.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If this is true, then why would we only be hearing about one color, as opposed to the multi-colored iPhone 5c?

11. techiebug thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's probably a regular iphone 7, but made with polycarbonate.

12. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That just seems odd to me. If it's not made of metal, it will likely be thought of as the "less premium" phone.

This maybe isn't a fair comparison, but I'm thinking about the black 3GS. Is it going to scuff easily? Will it feel less solid in the hand? Those are the questions that I'd be asking myself.

13. Azzurro macrumors regular

Assuming this is true, those who hated the plastic 5C will have to hate the piano black too.

14. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'd guess it's the same finish and feel, which has confused the author of the article.

15. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I just read it's exclusive to the high-end 256 GB model.

16. H2K03 macrumors member

I wouldn't buy it if it was plastic vs the other models.

17. techiebug thread starter macrumors 6502a

The article that I read mentions that the author feels like it doesn't feel metal due to the sound it makes when he taps on it.

18. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Would they really add a 6th iPhone to their lineup, though? Seems silly to have the 7, 7+, 6S, 6S+, SE, and potentially a 7C?

19. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

maybe it's plastic and has wireless charging. and it's called the iPhone 7...Pro.

20. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

All these mysteries. The anticipation needs to end. The color theme had me twisted on what to get.

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'd actually consider this. First thing I thought when I saw the SIM tray leak was "it looks like it came from a 3G/3GS" and I actually LOVED the feel of those phones.

22. enriquesh96, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016

enriquesh96 macrumors regular

enriquesh96

There is no way apple would make a plastic phone again. Plus, the apple logo on the back of that black iPhone doest stand out which is something apple will never do. I think it's a dummy.

23. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I think this is legit, it has the 4 LED flash.

24. Appleaker macrumors 68000

It's really weird that Apple are doing this... not only does the finish not match but if this is true the material is different as well.

Unless there is a better reason, I feel like some team made the decision to add the most requested color because iPhone 7 sales weren't going to be good.

25. Dave245 macrumors 601

I'm guessing that those pictures are dummy models, from the rumours and leaks we have heard, there isn't suppose to be a blue model. Maybe it's what many people have said, and that the piano black version just feels like plastic, it's possible because it's suppose to be a glossy model which may take the feel of the metal away.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 6, 2016 ---
    Or maybe it's left over from the iPhone Pro, if they decided to cancel the Pro version and just go with the 7 and 7 Plus, but then decided to keep the glossy piano black model.